Change the concept of downvoting.There might be option that only person in the conversation can downvote because if he/she is downvoting then they must have reason for that and solution for that.What you say that Dani??

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If you browse through this forum, you'll see more threads with a similar topic. It's highly unlikely that the current system will be changed.

There might be option that only person in the conversation can downvote because if he/she is downvoting then they must have reason for that and solution for that.

People outside of a conversation aren't allowed to have an opinion?

contradictory to the rules IMHO.
it's a bit annoying to repeat information,or to post jibberish, but if this would go through, someone might have to do that, just to give an opinion.

yes deceptikon...that's what i am suggesting.Peolpe outside conversation are not allowed to have downvoting option.
As people can appreciate by upvoting if the content is relevent but if they feels the content is irrelevent then they must first add comment to have option to downvote.
THATS WHAT I AM SUGGESTING.
because people just come and downvote without helping the post creator.So in any way post creator will not have any benefit as no solution is available for him.

IIM:

because people just come and downvote without helping the post creator

just because you post in a thread doesn't mean you are trying to help the post creator.

let's say I find a thread (might even already be labeled solved) and I really want to vote someone down. all I need to do is reply:

"boogieboogieboogie"

this will, in no way, aid the thread starter, nor will it add any usefull information to the thread. it'll even bring the value of the thread down, but since I've posted in it, I can now downvote.

the only real difference is that now you have pretty good idea of who downvoted, and that everybody who did contribute to the thread gets an annoying mail "Somebody replied to"..

yes deceptikon...that's what i am suggesting.Peolpe outside conversation are not allowed to have downvoting option.

If you want to lock down negative votes to avoid abuse (for whatever you define as "abuse"), I'd be more inclined to have a different barrier of entry. Something like a minimum membership level or minimum reputation points. But requiring someone to post in a thread before being allowed to downvote is just asking for valueless posts. The assumption that posting for the sake of downvote rights would result in something that helps the OP is not a safe one, in my opinion.

But ultimately, your suggestion goes against the spirit of the voting system. If there are hoops to jump through when voting, nobody will vote. The feature is intended to be quick, easy, subjective, and open to all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.