To Daniweb Administrators,

I've just found a website which appears to be mining Daniweb data, by this I mean it has an exact replication of articles posted on Daniweb including the same usernames as those relating to members who posted content.

The website is Cyberzhub.com

I thought I probably should notify you, as I'm sure it is rather stressful on your servers and is potentially stealing visitors.

From what I can gather, the content is posted as a Guest username of the account. Simply searching for Daniweb on the website brings up just a handful of articles originally posted on Daniweb.com but replicated on this other website.

Stuugie commented: Good catch on the Interwebs! +0

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

That's sneaky I wot! I'm just happy that the site doesn't have my personal info. They can't get that can they?

Shouldn't be able to, it seems only usernames.

I've had some of my threads mined, but the username is about all that comes up in relation to personal information (not even a profile picture).
The thread titles, thread content and thread images also seems to appear as well, but not responses to articles.

The registrant also doesn't seem to of purchased Whois protection for the domain, so if Daniweb does decide to persue a cease and desist order, it should prove helpful.

Why would they do that? Was it to make their site look like it's established? I find it interesting to look at the "Members" count is over 10,000, "Discussions" and "Messages" are over 12,000 but yet when you actually look at the forums part there are just over 300 discussions and messages.

They don't seem to be using it to establish the website. The content is getting mined constantly, there are small gaps which I am guessing have been put in to try and avoid detection, however most of the latest posted articles on Daniweb are re-posted on their website.

My guess is, it is to try and generate a quick profit whilst they can.

Never mind my last post, I've delved deeper into the site and found more discussions and whatnot. I haven't been a member here long but I am loyal to this site so I say down with the enemy site! LoL.

It would be interesting to see if this article is re-posted, however on a more serious note I am hoping an administrator sees this.

*Scrub that, you need to login to view the Feedback section so they shoudln't be able to mine it (that easily, they might be able to pass credentials to the server though)

I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing because it's just one of the things that is "encouraged" with the promotion of our API. Funnily enough, it actually both makes their site more established and also establishes us as a content provider in Google's eyes, so it's a win-win for both websites.

Hmm, didn't think of it like that.

Although surely it is treading a fine line between making their site more established and stealing your content, after all there isn't any mention of Daniweb on their website?

I already pointed out the benefit to them and the benefit to us, but the additional benefit to the actual poster is that their questions gain additional publicity and hopefully they'll get an answer quicker by having their questions posted on DaniWeb automatically syndicated to other forums and help sites.

after all there isn't any mention of Daniweb on their website?

I see this simply as rude, plain and simple, to not give credit, but I don't think it makes them "evil". After all, we proactively provide a way for other sites to syndicate our content, and IMHO, in doing so, we give up the right to complain when sites do so.

Made me curious, so I signed up. Funny to see they take the questions only, no answers. Just saw a post appear there, right after it was added in the PHP forum here. Makes me wonder what happens if I post a new question here. Too bad they don't support markdown, all posts with code look like a mess.

I hope they are working on that site, because it's extremely slow.

Funny to see they take the questions only, no answers.

They most likely are pulling our RSS feeds, which only include the questions. vBulletin and most other forum systems offer built-in functionality to syndicate RSS feeds, so it's a common thing to do. In years and years past DaniWeb used to use the same feature to pull in RSS feeds from some of the big tech news sites and auto-post industry news.

Member Avatar for diafol

Funnily enough, it actually both makes their site more established and also establishes us as a content provider in Google's eyes, so it's a win-win for both websites

I'm a bit confused. I thought Google was punishing sites that didn't have original content.

They used to, until they improved their algorithm to now be able to accurately determine who the original content creator is and who the copycats are.

First of all there is differnce between data mining and Rss data pulling.So please be clear that cyberzhub do rss pulling not data mining , and daniweb dosen't define rss rule and privacy for rss feeding.

@AHarrisGsy memeber says:

"The registrant also doesn't seem to of purchased Whois protection for the domain, so if Daniweb does decide to persue a cease and desist order, it should prove helpful."

@AHarrisGsy are you content writer ?
please first of all update yourself that rss content pulling never be crime.
so Just chill dude.

Here are the link for same .
http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Posting-RSS-feed-items-not-copyright-infringement

Last but not least Cyberzhub never stealing any data from daniweb , so weakup all guys .

Thanks Daniweb admin for understand that what rss do.

Cyberzhub Admin

@cyberzhub : That's clear I think. What gets people on edge is the fact that their usernames are copied, even though they don't have an account there. It's a trust thing more I think.

Member Avatar for diafol

Well, that cheap site seems to be offline for now:

3cbff4b5c417cb1c00085836f154466a

A quick look at cyberzhub Facebook link, sees only 13 likes with no outside posts or comments. So much for the:

"World's largest marketing/webmaster/Programming/Sharing community. Includes large collection of tools.Find it Take it."

You have to love these guys.

so weakup all guys

That cracked me up :) Bloody cowboys.

@diafol : it seems that how are cheep !@@@@
and please analysis that site was newely created so 13 likes is more for me.
so do your work bloody *******.
look who is talking , @diafol first of all atleast buy own domain then say who is cheap buddy.

http://diafol.blogspot.co.uk/

i have 13 likes that was surly more than you, and we have shifted our domain on otheir domain .

we will back soon , so don't be a supries. 

@AHarrisGsy are you content writer ?

A content writer, no.
I am a web developer, focusing on back-end server side development and management.

and we have shifted our domain on otheir domain , we will back soon .

Surely you should be issuing an HTTP 301 then?

That site is now permanently down.

Member Avatar for diafol

@diafol : it seems that how are cheep !@@@@
and please analysis that site was newely created so 13 likes is more for me.
look who is talking , @diafol first of all atleast buy own domain then say who is cheap buddy.

I have no interest in a flame war, neither do other members on this thread. But I need to respond.

You claim to be an admin of the "World's largest marketing/webmaster/Programming/Sharing community". If you are so, please act accordingly. Joining a forum and telling people "to chill" and "to weakup" - whatever that means, does not fill anybody with confidence in your abilities. You seem to have the ability to scrape though - will this thread appear on your site I wonder? Are you going to announce when we can expect to see the shiny new version of cyberzhub? I'm looking forward to it.

Do your research. I'm not the guy with the ego here, Kalpesh.

PS I DO have paid-for sites/hosting. Check my sig.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.