When I visit a section of the forums and look at a single thread, when I return to it's index page all threads
are marked as read.

Anyone have a solution to this?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

This is by design. If you read the first thread on a forum, all the other threads are marked as read. I don't like this behavior either, but it is intentionally so (don't ask me why).

Oh goodness, I forget now what the reason was, but I promise I definitely had one!! I think it was because a forum is considered marked read when all the threads inside it have been read. Without this behavior, a forum would never show up as being read because it would take manually marking each and every individual thread inside it as read one at a time. I think that's the reason, at least. It's been a long time since I've thought about it :)

Another reason was that I was about the only one who was actually using the feature at all.

Do what I do (aways good advice, right?). Open the forum in one tab and when you want to read a thread, open it in another tab. When you are finished reading all the threads of interest, scroll down and click Mark Forum Read.

Thank you kindly for relies.

I see on some other forums, they have a button to mark all as read if you need, and then only the individual threads are marked if you don't use it.

Not some sort of big deal, I can take the advice above and open in new tab.
Probably still forget which ones I have not read.

But I'm quite sure that this only started happening a few weeks ago.

I see on some other forums, they have a button to mark all as read if you need, and then only the individual threads are marked if you don't use it.

That's available on Daniweb as well, but from the forum list here.

But I'm quite sure that this only started happening a few weeks ago.

The feature has been in place for several years now...

When I don't want the forum read, I simply leave the first post until last, as unintuitive as that is. ;)

wouldn't it be more logical to keep the unread threads marked as unread, but to have threads older then a certain amount of time (older as in, hasn't been posted in) as read instead?

Threads older than a certain amount of time automatically get marked as read already.

Like someone mentioned it is only if the most recent post is read, that all others get marked as read.
So reading that one last is quite trivial and solves the issue, for me at least.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.