A lot of people have been indicating they're having issues differentiating New vs Read threads in the forum listing pages. The icons are in the exact same place they were in the old skin. I went ahead and made the READ icons lighter to make the NEW icons pop a bit more. Is this better??

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Yes, it quite does actually.

That was really the only difference in the old skin. It was a solid purple icon vs a light grey icon.

Personally, I have not found a problem in either version but I am sure people will be more interested in the update. It lowers the confusion on what to read quite a bit more.

In fact, why don't you just color the text rather than having little icons on the site? wouldn't that be more sufficient? Kind of like on cnn.com, you read an article, it gets faded but if you have not clicked it, it is still a dark color. On this site you can have purple for un-read/updated and grey for read and un-updated. I don't know, it could be a bit more helpful, don't you say?

Moderators already have purple for visible and grey for deleted articles :)

You should add that feature, in a way, for non-mods. I don't know, but that kind of would make the site look a bit less cluttered, wouldn't it?

The icons are in the exact same place they were in the old skin

True, but they did not contain text. Especially on the homepage all those read/new icons in the sidebar attract(ed) the eye away from the main content. (Also new is slightly smaller then read.) The read icon on the main page in the side bar, after refresh, is still dark grey.

And PLEASE let me disable the beep in chat for a new message. It's ANNOYING. The fact that the title bar changes is ok, it's just erratic in Opera. It needs to be slower.

The JS functionality to modify the title of the browser is a welcome addition, but it isn't working.

I can't hear the "beep" so I don't know how annoying it is, but having the ability to switch it on or off will only make for a better user experience :)

Additionally, I think the chat room needs "moderation". It's becoming obvious that it needs IRC similar functionality, such as the ability to silence people. Whilst I appreciate that I don't think the initial idea was to have a central chat room for Daniweb, the Community Center Chat room is becoming just that. As such, I believe DW needs to keep it "in check" so to speak :)

I like the change. It makes the NEW messages more distinct from messages I've already read. Thanks.

Its definately better, but I would actually recommend that the "read" icon be removed altogether. If the "new" icon is not displayed, I know that I've already read the thread.

As such, I believe DW needs to keep it "in check" so to speak :)

I have been there a couple of times now and the dicussion was pretty much in check. Do you have any specific instances where you think the discussion might have moved away from the expected norm? If possible, feel free to PM me or happygeek if you remember any particular instances.

True, but they did not contain text.

Ummm .... yes they did :) Well, at least the NEW button was a big purple circle with the words NEW in white.

And PLEASE let me disable the beep in chat for a new message. It's ANNOYING. The fact that the title bar changes is ok, it's just erratic in Opera. It needs to be slower.

It's a bug that it keeps beeping each time there's a new chat message. It's only supposed to beep once. It's the same bug that is making the title bar erratic, too.

The JS functionality to modify the title of the browser is a welcome addition, but it isn't working.
I can't hear the "beep" so I don't know how annoying it is

It only happens when the chat window doesn't have focus.

It's a bug that it keeps beeping

Okay, but still. I want the ability to turn it off. Am often working with sound, and even a single beep is very distracting.

Bug fixed. On to find a different 'beep' because I don't really like this one. Give it a day and tell me whether you still find it annoying.

It only happens when the chat window doesn't have focus.

Yes, it only starts flashing the title when it's not focussed, however, it never stops :)

I'm going to hazard a guess here, but it seems to be worse if you miss more than one message.

Occasionally, it will stop flashing the title under the following conditions:

1. Any browser window does not have focus (So I have two browser windows, one solely for chat and another containing my various tabs. I cannot have the other window in focus and then switch)
  2. Only a single message has been missed.
  3. I focus the window by clicking on the task bar icon and not the window itself.

Switching rooms is enough to get it to stop, but I suppose that's because it reloads the page :)

In other news, I like the style changes :)

Ketsuekiame, all those bugs should be fixed now, no?

It wasn't a moment ago, I will reload the browser and check.. watch this space ;)

EDIT: Okay that seems to be working now. Thanks :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.