I have a question:

I recived (10) reputation points (a mistake, I'm sure)

What are they for?

AhmedHan commented: One more for you! +2
server_crash commented: Muwahahhahahha +0

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

People can click the "Add to Chaky's Reputation" link in your post. If they really like your post, they'll add to your reputation. If they dislike your post, they'll subtract from your reputation. The amount of influence they have over how much your rep will increase or decrease is based on their own reputations.

And the purpose that reputation is....

Just the fun factor. Reputation points can be used as an incentive to post more and to post good stuff so that other people will give you positive kudos.

I take that it is soposed to be shown by those green dots (rep.power that say that you're really nice)?
I say 'soposed' because they aren't showing anything for me.
If I am the only one knowing my reputation points, well..., you can hardly call it a 'reputation'.
Am I missing something here?

You're the only one who knows exactly how much reputation you have. Everyone else can see the little green dots which are a visual representation that is relative to all the reps of all members.

Is there any way of knowing WHO (or, should I say, what poor soul) added to my reputation points?

I know that curiosity killed the cat...

Since there is both positive and negative reputation power, I've chosen to disable you telling who so as to not stir negative feelings throughout the community.

However, members have the option of making a comment when they give rep points, and some choose to sign their comment.

commented: Just to prove that I was just kidding ;-) +1

Cool! Now I can spend all day substracting from your reputation points and you will never know......errr....I mean, how nice of you to tell me that.
:twisted:

One more question.
I found the post I got the rep from. It says that my reputation is EVEN?
If I gained 10 points, how can it be even?

Because the person who gave you reputation doesn't have a high reputation, meaning that even though they approved your post, they don't have enough reputation power to influence your reputation.

Now, that's a pretty comlex fun factor.

Thx for clearing that.

Have another Q about rep points.

When my first post got rep points I got 10 points.
When second post got rep points, total remained same.
Same with the third and fourth.
Now I have total of 4 posts that "recived" rep points and total is still 10.
How come?

I belive that it only goes up, if the user that gave it to you has a significant post count. Otherwise it just stays nuetral. Doesn't hurt you, but doesn't help.

Anyway, someone is playing with me here. Just got added and substracted on the same post in this thread. Total of 11 points?

I'm confused.

commented: I just wanted to bring you back to ten again :P +0

I belive that it only goes up, if the user that gave it to you has a significant post count. Otherwise it just stays nuetral. Doesn't hurt you, but doesn't help.

No, it's possible for someone to give you a negative reputation, and for it to decrease. However, most of the people (with little rep themselves) have so little influence, and most of the regular members and mods (who do have enough rep power to make a difference) aren't going to bother giving negative rep points - they'll just report the post or ban the person.

I stand corrected :).

:idea: I have an IDEA:!:

Why don't we get notification if someone added to the rep.?

Because some people get a lot of rep. I now have 129 reputation, and I wouldn't want to have really much notification's of that.

Pretty funny when you hover your mouse above the rep. thing. Never knew cscgal was an "glorious beacon of light"

commented: Payback's a bitch, he he +0

Why don't we get notification if someone added to the rep.?

Well it's pretty easy to see when you've gotten it-- Click Control Panel at the top.

You're the only one who knows exactly how much reputation you have. Everyone else can see the little green dots which are a visual representation that is relative to all the reps of all members.

You can't see exactly how much repuation someone has, however, you can get a pretty good estimate by going to the Member List, and sorting by Reputation:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=reputation&pp=50

For example, you can see that Tekmaven has around 500-600 repuation points, and that I have a little bit more than 100 rep points (108 to be exact).

On the opposite end, you can see that Phantom has more than -200 negative reputation points! (look at the posts he made last, and you'll see why ;) )

And by the way, each dot of reputation amounts to 100 rep points.

I can't find the spot that shows comments for reputation. Where did it go?

i dont like the reuputation system as noone ever gives you any - ive got like 600 odd posts and basically no reputation

have you seen the msn q&a beta dani?
i think a "best answer" type system woule be good

commented: Maybe thing will get moving sometime in the near future ;) ~s.o.s~ +7

i dont like the reuputation system as noone ever gives you any - ive got like 600 odd posts and basically no reputation
have you seen the msn q&a beta dani?
i think a "best answer" type system woule be good

It just depends on the forum, and I think Daniweb has got a lot of evolving to do in terms of reputation.
There are many forums where reputation is rampant and in full swing. What I mean by this ? Well its like if I am a moderator of C++ forum or you are a C++ forum frequenter and if you find a post of Javascript nice or informative or feel that the post has very good content, you add the reputation to that person.

The reason reputation works there is because the people who have added reputation, their name appears at the bottom of the post, no need to go to the control panel. Thats the thing people like the post about it since it shows to you who has added rep to you and even you keep that in mind the next time you encounter that persons post.

The name here is not specfied since Miss Dani thinks that giving out name will cause increased tension among the members. But I dont
think there is any kind of tension among people of forums where there is open reputation system.

And as far as adding reputation is concerned I add REP whenever I come across a good post. BTW reps to you my friend.;)

Here is what happens when you get Bad rep, and now imagine if it was not annonymous. :mrgreen:

I can't find the spot that shows comments for reputation. Where did it go?

Found it -- Control Panel.... :rolleyes:

Member Avatar for iamthwee

>Here is what happens when you get Bad rep, and now imagine if it was not annonymous.

I don't think it would be that much of a problem if the name of the person who gave you bad rep was made known.

We'd have to disable this feature for SOS though otherwise he might top himself. Or worse still, quit programming and go back to hand stiching footballs.

Uh oh, there will be handbags at dawn you know!

And, for the record, both iamthwee and me (who is nearly fortythwee) are joking, Mr SOS!

Hmm... this is what I get for suggesting a new thing.

Though I have noticed one thing, whenever there is a healthy, I am the only one on one side while the rest of the members on the other.

Here is what happens when you get Bad rep, and now imagine if it was not annonymous.

IF it were not anonymous, I would have made the matters clear with the OP by PMing him.. no harm done to the forum or no strain on it.
The reason I started the thread was that I thought MIss Dani would be knowing the name of the one who did that ...

We'd have to disable this feature for SOS though otherwise he might top himself. Or worse still, quit programming and go back to hand stiching footballs.

Naa.. I aint a coward. I would have settled the matter by giving him back what he gave me. And with my current reputation I sure would have turned his status from green to red. And no I dont know how to stitch footballs and dont plan on learning that.

And, for the record, both iamthwee and me (who is nearly fortythwee) are joking, Mr SOS!

Atleast someone here knows that I have got a bad sense of humour :D

Healthy debate is always a good thing, at least it is getting the issue out in the open and ideas exchanged.

Personally I do not see it in terms of winners and losers, I think we all win by having such discussions here. And for that, I thank you for your input, as always...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.