Some sites have the quoting by default, here it takes a little extra effort. But when it exists, nested quotes look a little odd.
[post]218686[/post]

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Dave Sinkula

Sorry about the bump, but I saw the nested quotes are still like this. Is that your preference Dani? Or did this one get lost in the pile during the computer switchover?

[edit]How about I put an example right here?

Some sites have the quoting by default, here it takes a little extra effort. But when it exists, nested quotes look a little odd.
[post]218686[/post]

[post]218686[/post]

[post]218686[/post]

Maybe nesting the quotes in an outlined box with some sort of outlining would really make the nested quotes more easy to read. I completely agree with Mr. Dave.

Though it looks good its not much of a friendly user interface (software engineering principles anyone ?)

But this is just me.

How about simply underlining the word 'Quote:' and 'Quoted by: <username>" ?

So what do you think we are working with right now.

It was just an suggestion and of course we know the diference between "quote" and "quoted by". ;)

It was just an suggestion and of course we know the diference between "quote" and "quoted by". ;)

No no..what I was saying was that where 'Quote in Quote' is involved, Dani could underline the phrase 'Quoted by: <username>'. That way it'll be easier to follow the QiQ. Wouldn't you agree?

No no..what I was saying was that where 'Quote in Quote' is involved, Dani could underline the phrase 'Quoted by: <username>'. That way it'll be easier to follow the QiQ. Wouldn't you agree?

But since the quoted party is not necessarily given [QUOTE=goldeagle2005], and interjecting the current poster rather than the quotee would be quite wrong, I think that's going a different direction from where I was headed.

It's all purple (with the word Quote or Quoted appearing a number of times), some of the indentation hints at who, but to me it is not easy to follow without some kind of wrapper -- a color variation or a box of some kind.

My preference would be alternating hues of purple, light/dark per nesting level. But that's just me.

[edit]Dani?! Are you experimenting while I'm posting?

[edit=2]That kinda thing helps. I can live with that.

[edit=3]Except for the Quoted: Quote by: redundancy.
But you'll never please me -- you know that by now! :twisted:

Here is a test of one quote:

One quote still looks the same

But ...

Test One

Test Two

Test Three

And another ...

Quote reply...

But ...

D'oh!

But, yes. That's more to my taste if you can live with that.

I'd also prefer not italicising the quoted material and having a "Quoted By: Poster" frame instead of the duplication (see above).

And of course allowing nested quoting when you quote.

(But again you're hearing from me.)

One quote still looks the same

But ...

Test One

Test Two

Test Three

And another ...

But ...

Dandy. I'll assume that it is by design that nesting is not default and I can live with the pain if it's a bandwidth type of issue. (It'll be my secret weapon^H^H^H^H^H^H^H -- now only if you had the strikethrough tags!! [Yes, I am evil.])

[aside]Is this eventually retroactive?[/aside]

[aside=2]Do you ever sleep?[/aside]

If this makes things clearer, the above was made with [php]

[quote]One quote still looks the same[/quote]

But ...

[quote=Me]Test One[quote=You]Test Two[quote=Foo]Test Three[quote]And another ...[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/php]

Edited by pyTony: fixed formatting

Nesting? By default? Huh? Confused?

Where if you quote a reply that has quoted replies, the quoted replies are quoted. Yea?

Reply to your quoted reply and notice the previously quoted replies are removed.

To be honest, I kinda prefer Dave's suggestion..about alternating different shades of purple. Dani, how about trying that out?

I'm kinda all settled with what I have now :-/ Plus, I don't want to introduce too many different colors into the design.

Allright. Save the suggestion for when you next redesign the forums.

Shhhhhh! I'm just getting accustomed to this.

[edit]No, wait. I'd like that one.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.