Hello,

I have recently decided to learn TeX for note taking purposes (both my parents are doctors, I inherited my handwriting from them, my class notes up until now look somewhat like the voynich manuscript) since MS Word takes far too long to type equations into.

Overall it is going smoothly, but I did have a couple questions about TeX that weren't in the TeXbook. As such I did what I always do, I came to daniweb for help. I was quite surprised, then, when I could not find an appropriate place to ask my question.

Is it possible to create a TeX/LaTeX tab, perhaps under Software or Web Development? Or perhaps a new tab is in order, a sort of "Typesetting" tab if you will. Honestly I think the best bet would be to have a "Other Software" tab, since we also lack forums for statistical software, wolfram mathematica, etc. What do you think?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi, Louis.

Years ago, when I first joined Daniweb, I think all discussions for the less-popular languages were thrown into the "Legacy Languages" forum:

"Software Development" -> "Legacy Languages"

That is where you'll find any questions relating to MATLAB, MathCAD, AutoCAD, etc. As far as I know, there simply isn't enough ongoing discussion on these topics to justify creating separate forums for them.

DavidB is spot on :) There are forums full of middle aged munchkins dedicted to legacy technologies and languages - so if you're looking for more activity then that should be your next stop, good luck and have fun!

Member Avatar for iamthwee

legacy languages or computer science is where you need to post.

http://www.lyx.org/Download

Looks interesting.

Ok, that makes some sense. I suppose even brand-new languages could be considered 'legacy' if they already have fallen into disuse enough to not be viable for an active forum. Thanks.

I disagree that Tex/LaTeX is a 'Legacy' language.. I agree that there should be a place for it, but, that's a different topic.

Anyway, I'd say stick your question in Computer Science

Good to hear you started using LaTeX. Once you get used to it, you'll probably never go back to using MS Word / LibreOffice programs.

And obviously, Tex/LaTeX is not a legacy language, even though it's quite old (1978). At least for most scientific publications, it's the only viable option.

As for posting questions about it, I guess it would have to wherever you see fit within the current categories. It's a bit weird in this case because it's not really "software" development (i.e., it is "document" development) and even though it's similar in nature to html / web development, it's not for the internet. I guess the main thing is not to forget to give it tags like "TeX" and "LaTeX".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.