I'll get used to the new and where the titles are. I like the functionality of the new page so my vote is to keep it.

Member Avatar for diafol

The nested vertical grey strips within each block are supposed to mean something. As somebody that doesn't use the homepage at all, I imagine that I must look at it like a new visitor. There's a lot going on - too much maybe.

c014d1aa7a9354b5aff1fef03b6e81a0

Three different flavours of posts. I have little idea about what's going on with the first one.

They are our quote tag. Do they not look familiar. It is a nested quote. The first paragraph is a reply to the second paragraph.

The nested vertical grey strips within each block are supposed to mean something.

A member named drjohn posted a reply in the thread "can't align three divs horizontally". The outer quote is his reply, so you don't have to leave the homepage to see what he just posted. The inner quote is the original post of the thread that he was replying to.

I dont typically use the homepage either. I jump on the forum categories immediately.

I do like that hiding the intro/fred for logged in members is a good idea.

Member Avatar for diafol

I've not seen nested quotes before. It's very small that inner one. The meaning is totally lost on me and your description (no offence) doesn't help me much. But it's me, not you - I'm not the sharpest tool in the box.

How the hell do you create a nested quote anyway? Is it >> ?

This is

level 2

level 3

level 4

level 5

level 6

level 7

level 8
OK, that's as much as I need to know. Is this expected styling - % reduction?

I've never seen so much nesting going on before :) I've gone ahead and fixed the font size to something more reasonable.

No tab for News/Tutorials on the main page? Also, do you maintain a list of "popular" threads (based on view count, upvotes etc.). I think those threads with a lot of info which the community likes would be a good candidate for home page.

No tab for News/Tutorials on the main page?

Not in a very, very, very long time.

Also, do you maintain a list of "popular" threads (based on view count, upvotes etc.). I think those threads with a lot of info which the community likes would be a good candidate for home page.

We currently don't, but I might consider that as an additional tab, not just on the homepage, but also for individual forums/categories.

Frankly I find the Home Page listing somewhat confusiong when compared to Recently Updated Articles. They both present the same threads, but those on Home Page sho the last poster's avatar while Recently Updated Articles show the thread starter's avatar. There could be a lot of confusion between these two methods of displaying the same threads.

Recently Updated Articles vs the homepage present different information. Showing articles recently posted in is just a small portion of the new activity feed on the homepage.

Err, I take that back :) It's about 75% of it right now, but will be far less in the near future.

Also, do you maintain a list of "popular" threads (based on view count, upvotes etc.). I think those threads with a lot of info which the community likes would be a good candidate for home page.

I've opted, instead, to redo the algorithm for Recommended articles (link in footer). Instead of it just being a straight list of threads in your favorite forums, it's now a much more involved algo that takes thread popularity into account, and your site usage patterns, to give you a priority-sorted list of what we think you're currently going to want to read.

I like the new page, now it is easier (for me) to navigate the site :D

Thanks! That was my project for the evening. Bedtime now? :)

yes , nice changes.
i see changes in endorsement section and changes in appearance of social links.

thats all are nice.

I didn't see previous version of this website, but I like this one. I use Google Chrome and everything looks fine.

Home Page now looks very much similar to the link you had where you could see everyone's current activities (I forgot the name of the link). But there people who had invisible mode turned on did not show up. Shouldn't the Home Page be like that too? It makes the invisibility mode pretty useless now.

Invisibility mode doesn't stop anyone from seeing activities that the person has done ... If they posted, then everyone can see their post.

Invisibility mode hides you from showing up in the chat, hides the last time you were online (or if you currently are browsing the site), where you're browsing and what you're currently doing.

If you just lurk and you're invisible, no one will know you're around. But if you actually do an activity such as posting, then you're going to be called out in that you just made a post.

Another suggestion: The link in "Edited post in ..." or "Replied to post in ..." -- suggest the link go to the post in which the member posted or replied instead of just to the first post in the thread. The same behavior as the time link in the Recently Updated Articles page. If I want to see what the member did I don't want to search the entire thread for the post.

Another suggestion: The link in "Edited post in ..." or "Replied to post in ..." -- suggest the link go to the post in which the member posted or replied instead of just to the first post in the thread.

In the activity stream, each time a particular post is referred to, you can click the little blue arrow icon to jump directly to the post.

Perfect :)

Are you finding yourself using the new homepage now?

Yep :D

A little more, I still find Recently Updated Articles more useful. But now that I know how to jump directly to the post I will begin using Home Page more and more. Just a matter of a little retraining, like going from Windows 7 to Windows 8, everything's there it's just a matter of finding out how to use it.

Also check out the Recommended articles link in the footer toolbar since I upgraded the algorithm last week.

Yes. And I'm glad Fred is gone!

commented: ikr +0

Yes. And I'm glad Fred is gone!

thank goodness, fred was beginning to annoy me...

Member Avatar for diafol

What is it with you and Fred??? I press the i(nfo) tab, and there he is again, like a bad lingering smell. He's not gone, he's skulking in the background :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.