Hi all,

I just noticed a signficant slow-down with Daniweb, not with the server, but with the site (javascript?), in particular, with the editor that jams every few seconds. So, I checked by task manager and found that one Chrome tab was taking quite a bit of resources (memory + CPU), and lo and behold, it's the Daniweb tab. Here is what I get from "chrome://memory-redirect":

PID     Name                                     Memory
                                                  Private      Proportional
3906    Tab                                      2,042,964k   34,376k
        DaniWeb Community Feedback | DaniWeb

In other words, the Daniweb tab was taking up 2Gb of RAM. And whenever I browse around a bit, the memory consumption just keeps on increasing and increasing. It seems like a memory leak to me.

You might want to look into it.

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

If I close the tab, the memory is released and all is fine (no lag, no problems). And then, I've noticed that every time I load a new page (e.g., go to a new forum, or thread, etc.), the memory consumption increases by roughly 50Mb each time, and it just accumulates and accumulates.

Are you sure it's the editor that's the issue? I haven't been able to replicate this :( When did it start happening? And the editor freezes for you?!?!

It's not a problem with the editor. It's a memory leak problem. When the memory consumption starts to reach a couple of Gigabytes, then everything starts to become slower, including the editory, of course. Everything lags, from the editor to the forum drop-down menus (forum categories).

But the problem is not with the editor. Basically, every time that I load a new page (while browsing between forums and posts), the memory consumption of the Daniweb chrome tab increases by 30Mb to 50Mb. And so, after about 50 to 100 times (and that can easily happen since I almost never shutdown this computer or my browser windows), the memory consumption is huge and slows everything down. That's the problem.

By the way, I've tried to navigate back and forth on other websites and watching the memory consumption. This is clearly a problem from Daniweb, because none of the other websites I've tried this with have that issue. In other words, this is not a bug in Chrome or one of its extensions. But it could be a Chrome-only bug of Daniweb.

Currently, since I closed and re-opened the Daniweb tab (just after creating this thread), my memory consumption is now about 600Mb and rising.. now 605Mb... and rising.. definitely leaking something.

OK so something in the Javascript has a memory leak. It might be the editor. Are you noticing a difference being on pages with the editor vs pages without? Being logged in vs not logged in?

When did this start happening??

Are you noticing a difference being on pages with the editor vs pages without?

No. It seems to be the same regardless of the kind of page between in-thread (with editor) or in forum listings (without editor).

Being logged in vs not logged in?

No. Being logged in or not makes no difference.

When did this start happening??

I just noticed it today... but it's possible that has been happening for a few days. I would have noticed it if it was happening since longer ago, so, I guess it must be quite recent.

Btw, I'm now at 1.2Gb (same tab since last post).

Are you running Chrome under Windows or *nix? In Windows 8.1 I used Task Manager to view the process memory and didn't notice that much memory being taken up by Chrome -- with only one tab for DaniWeb there were 3 processes, the largest consumed about 70Mg. After about 10 minutes the memory had increased by only about 1/2 meg.

I'm running Linux. And it seems that this issue started when I update the version of Chrome to version 33.0.1750.117. I updated two days ago, which coincides with the start of this issue, roughly.

I have also tried to disable all extensions and various other things (like new browser window, etc..), and the issue persists. Every page navigation seems to allocate an additional 10 to 20 Mb of memory which remains allocated permanently (i.e., it's leaking). I took a few javascript heap snapshots... but this is far from being my field of expertise, so I really have no idea what I'm looking at with those, but I can at least tell that the "object counts" and "retained sizes" of the stuff that leaks seem to correspond to that 10-20Mb I estimated.

Also, I consistently get the following javascript warnings:

Invalid App Id: Must be a number or numeric string representing the application id. all.js:56
FB.getLoginStatus() called before calling FB.init(). all.js:56
Consider using 'dppx' units instead of 'dpi', as in CSS 'dpi' means dots-per-CSS-inch, not dots-per-physical-inch, so does not correspond to the actual 'dpi' of a screen. In media query expression: (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5), (min-resolution: 144dpi) tweet_button.1392079123.html:1
event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead. 

not that I have much idea what they mean, but that's what I get any time I do anything.

I'm running the same version number of Chrome you are.

no

Is it possible that you were before updating the browser?

Second question: Do you have the issue with all windows closed except for the chat?

Is it possible that you were before updating the browser?

No.

Do you have the issue with all windows closed except for the chat?

I tried to close all windows, and open only a Chrome with Daniweb, not logged in and with all extensions disabled, and the problem is the same.

I would like to add that this is not only DW exhibiting the issue (for me). This also occurs is Battlelog (for Battlefield 4). Because of the size of the application involved, the problem is extremely exaggerated compared to the problem with DW. It is enough to bring my entire machine to a standstill.

This appears to happen only with Chrome on Windows 8.1 and the latest update (again for me)

My work machine is Windows 7 running Chrome 32.0.1700.102m and does not appear to exhibit the issue.

I think I know what the problem is. Bare with me until I have a chance to test my theory a bit later. Have errands to run now!

I am on an iMac with Chrome 33.0.1750.117

What version are you guys using? Unfortunately I don't have access to a Windows computer at the moment.

For version, see here

Mike helped debug this with me for quite awhile this morning, and we narrowed the problem down to Google+. Yes, you heard that right, Google+ has an issue with the latest version of Google Chrome.

Mike even had issues on the actual Google.com page about Google+!

So, from doing tests with Dani in the chat, it appears that the culprit for this issue is the Google+ button. For instance, even this tutorial page about the Google+ button leaks memory at every refresh (for me). So, this appears to be a bug between google+ and google-chrome... ;)

For the moment, the bug can be fixed by removing the google button, which comes from this file: https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js

If, in your browser, you black-list it or something, I guess it would fix the leak. Any one has a easy suggestion on how to do that (I'm not much of a javascript guy)?

I might file a bug report to google.. if I care enough to do so. But it seems, the problem with that is that it isn't very consistent (easy to reproduce) between platforms (even with the same chrome version).

What happens if you add

127.0.0.1   apis.google.com

to your hosts file?

I installed the ScriptSafe extension for Chrome and I blacklisted the "apis.google.com" domain. The Google+ button is gone and so is the memory leak!

:)

Yeah, the bug was fixed. This is no longer a problem. Marked as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.