Member Avatar for jmichae3

OK, I am trying to get this straight before I go any further.
if Daniweb copyrights the content on the site (did I get this right?) in order to keep control, I assume this doesn't invalidate the Copyright on my source code I submit unless I sign over Copyright rights to my code.
Apparently copyright.gov has a provision for assigning rights to code.
Copyright Fair Use Doctrine in their FAQ states that I can copy a "limited amount" of Copyrighted material without permission, without stating how much (as long as it's not the whole thing). and they also talk about Derived Works (which I probably need to look into more.

Q: if I need permission to use someone's code, I should be able to do this simply by asking the author, if I am not mistaken, since it's the code author who still retains Copyright to their code?

Q: If I submit code to Daniweb, it's still mine and I still own the Copyright as far as I can tell with Copyright law as I can best understand it? or did it somehow change hands somewhere?

as far as retaining control over posts goes, I can see deleting a post, but if you are Copyrighting (or owning) someone else's code under the TOS under 'Posting', that doesn't wash with me. owning someone else's livelihood isn't right at all. how would you like it if your web server software was licensed so that the authors owned everything that went through it? you would be out of a job and so would nearly everyone else, and the Internet would cease to exist (or someone would make an alternative).

I like the techie stuff, though, like the page stats & such, and I like doing development, but I would prefer to get paid repeatedly for my development efforts like anyone else - I have to make a living with my skills - don't take that away from developers.

hey, while you are at it, that could be a money-making opportunity (?), selling a license to code for the author at their option... they make an income, you make an income. Just don't Copyright my code, please. be a code vendor? allow people to paste in a license or license URL into a box or select one from a select box. I could finsd that to be very interesting, but you would need to have a way to hold binary files I suspect, probably host the downloads on akamai.net or some other file hosting company.

Exodus 18:20-21, 20:17-19

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

could not make the following edits:
hey, while you are at it, that could be a money-making opportunity (?), selling a license to code or library for the author at their option... they make an income, you make an income. Just don't Copyright my code, please. be a code vendor? allow people to paste in a license or license URL into a box or select one from a select box. I could finsd that to be very interesting, but you would need to have a way to hold binary files I suspect, probably host the downloads on akamai.net (editor wants to mangle the name) or some other file hosting company.

Exodus 18:20-21, 20:17-19, Luke 12:15-40 (these are about covetousness - God knows how to provide, we are not supposed to worry about stuff like that - fretting against the Lord, easy to do - I am still learning not to worry about my future - I have today, I don't have yesterday, don't have tomorrow, just today.)

Matthew 6:33-34 (about not having tomorrow and not worrying about it - happens to the best of us).

There is a thread about this subject, but I cannot find it at the moment.

I am not sure if I needed to add Luke 12:15-40 and Matthew 6:33-34. I probably should have left them out. The Bible also says in Proverbs some good things about work (31 chapters, 1 chapter per day of the month), and it being profitable I think. Proverbs 14:23-24

(there is still no submit button on that edit box up top, just cancel, and check button doesn't make it take)

I was just told about this radio broadcast archive, it speaks about stewardship FAR better than I could. Author: John MacArthur. gty.org, radio, treasures in heaven part 1 (today 10/2/2014)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Any code,any tutorials anything your write is technically owned by daniweb LLC, it says in the TOC.

With the exception of the code snippet library, where it's understood that code is meant to be reused and shared.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can...

I'm with John. All the code I ever posted here belongs to anyone and no one. Earn money with it if you can, but don't sue me for it, if it hurts. It is not my "possession".

BTW half of it is probably "stolen" from someone else anyway. :)

Heh heh, to paraphrase that famous bit of badly translated script from Zero Wing:
All your post are belong to Dani! XD

Is it right to steal other people's code by legal means? I know I don't like it, and were people to look at that TOS, I think a lot of others would not like it either.

I would definitely like to use Daniweb to help others out with coding problems if that were not in the TOS. I would even like to use it as a platform to make money with my software (as a possibility, that would be nice, trying to figure out how to publish).

Here is a discussion thread from 2002 that explains how/why the copyright rules came to be: https://www.daniweb.com/community-center/daniweb-community-feedback/threads/428309/daniweb-copyright-whats-copyrighted

Essentially, we simply want to protect ourselves from scraper sites copying entire discussions, or from people submitting the exact same tutorial on DaniWeb as on other sites.

Jmichae, have you been convinced to stop posting to DaniWeb as a result of this?

Member Avatar for diafol

My take on this is that anything I post on DW could be used in part or total in anything developed by anybody, without attribution or recognition of any kind. If you don't want that, consider not posting. After all we're contributing to help others, not to make money (forget the rewards system!) nor to feed an ever-expanding ego (forget the daniweb stats page!). Question your motives for posting - are you doing it for others (and possibly the warm glow that comes from doing so) or for some other reason.

The link Dani posted cleared up the issue for me a couple of years ago. Dani's not claiming your code in other words.

My understanding of DaniWeb, is this is a community forum to give help and get help. Not to make money or steal someone else's code, but to help myself and help others. I have spent lot of time reading someone else's code to better understand how it works. If I see a function someone wrote that helps me fix a problem, and I use it. Will I be stealing or breaking copyright laws? In my opinion no. I think the goal for me on DaniWeb is to help others learn and solve problems. I like to challenge myself by taking on someone else's problems and finding a solution. Plus I like to see my name on the stream.

I believe anything you give on a public forum is up for grabs, why else post.

Sorry, but the religous rants are out of control.. to each their own!

The link Dani posted cleared up the issue for me a couple of years ago. Dani's not claiming your code in other words.

I just realized that the same person who started the thread I linked to from a few years ago started this thread as well. I guess it wasn't cleared up for the OP!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.