What on earth is going on.I'm trying really hard to build a good reputation on this site putting a lot of effort into responses i tackle. Last night I recieved 3 more down votes and i cant even see what for. I thought they may have been residual votes from a rude outburst when i first joined... but they weren't.

I was totally prepared to get stuck in and be a positive supportive member of the community.

I wish you all the best in the future.
Jay

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Some people just do that. Accept it, ignore it.

Building a reputation here is long term, not something you can do in 50 posts. Look at the regulars. Every single one of them has downvotes.

What Prit said. Reputation building takes time, and to be honest you are not doing badly considering you have only been here a week! I'd be impressed with your rep after that short amount of time.

Just remember you cannot please all the people all of the time and move on, but stick around as your contributions are appreciated...

i cant even see what for.

Agreed. I think he may have a point here though. I have down votes, and would like to increase my rep while I'm here, so am very keen to learn from mistakes.

I look at it like this: if we can't view our mistakes/downvoted posts, we can't learn from it and develop our answers for the future (in my opinon anyway).

So is there a particular reason why I can't see my downvoted posts? Or is it generally taken arount these parts not to worry about it?

Just questioning as usual ;)

So is there a particular reason why I can't see my downvoted posts?

Some downvotes have been upvoted, resulting in zero votes. Those are not visible in the list.

Ahh right fair enough, nothing to worry about then ;)

A member for only a week, and already has 38 reputation points, ranks #546 out of over a million people, multiple skill and expertise endorsements, has a > 70% post quality score, only three posts currently voted down out of 43 total, and double the number of upvotes as downvotes. That's definitely a positive member profile.

In terms of e-peen points, you're doing okay. What really matters is the intangible reputation you earn that is what people who matter think of you. And that kind of reputation takes time.

Were I concerned about reputation, I'd wonder what people thought about a public annoucement of leaving after less than a month of not getting enough weenie points. ;)

Haaaa 'weenie points'

Yeah... ok it's a time thing. It's not about getting 'enough' of them... I'd be happy with 0.

We all enjoy an up vote of course, it resembles an appreciated effort. A down vote seems to resemble anything from "I dont like your face and I'm" to "the code is actually wrong".

To potential clientd (as daniweb suggests) the down votes resemble inefficiency.

I'm 33 guys, im not fussed about reputation. I am far from a know it all so when someone downvotes I'm being told its wrong... which I can accept. "But it works because I've just tested it. Why is it wrong?"

I want to learn as much as the person posting the question but I'm left with... it works... but it is wrong... so,

1. is the down voter tallented enough to know its wrong and down vote it whilst at the same time not being bothered to provide a solution or help.

2. The down voter is a click-happy person who has a bee in his bonnet.

Usually 2 in my never humble opinion.

Oh ok... well now i know what im dealing with... i guess that's fair enough.

Problem solved.

Still it would be nice to be able to differentiate between "bee in bonnet" and "dude, that's actually wrong"

I think, more often than not, if someone knows you are wrong and has spotted the error then they will want to point it out. This could be because they want to help you or the OP, or it could be because it massages their ego, but they would usually want to make the correction nonetheless.

The downvote issue, rather than rep as such, can often be nothing more than a finger slip or a knee jerk reaction, a bad hair day or some knobend who has simply taken a dislike to you for whatever reason. Most of us just ignore the up/down vote stuff to be honest, as we appreciate how fickle it can be.

I'm 33 guys, im not fussed about reputation.

Still Lol'd at "knobend"

Coolio, now I have a better understanding of what can happen It's much easier to gauge how far i throw my teddies in the future.

I should probably infract myself for circumventing the curse filter...

Thank god the curse filter only filters American words or all of us would have been banned a long time ago ;)

Member Avatar for Warrens80

Everybody hates me...yet I stick around

We all enjoy an up vote of course,

Well, I did give you an endorsement. That counts for something.

@Reverend Jim
As you can imagine, very much apreciated. But please, this isn't just about getting Kudos or being recognized or 'Wanting everybody to be my friend'. It's about contributions being snubbed with no reason, need or explenation.

it's not about getting 'enough' of them... I'd be happy with 0.

@Warrens80
I'm pretty thick skinned ... I assure you of that, it wasn't a case of being offended that ticked me off, it was the etiquette that baffled me. And what would you suggest, that I don't make my observations known to the people who can explain or if need be resolve the situation. Yes, that's how things progress and evolve. Judging from your history I think I'll take your comment with a pinch of salt. Funny how that works isn't it, I know nothing about you, yet I'm judging the relevance of your comment by a 'meaningless' score provided by other people's interaction with you... Why on earth would I get annoyed about being down voted unnecessarily?

Ooops

@Warrens80
if "Everybody hates me...yet I stick around" was refering to yourself then ignore previous comment and stop trying so hard to upset people. If it was sarcasm directed at me then please go ahead and read away.

Damn reading misinterpretations...

commented: we're cool +0

Upvotes/downvotes are intended to be taken with a pinch of salt. Much more important is reputation points, which are only affected when someone actually comments as to what they like/dislike about your post.

ah, ok. That really does help with my concern. Infact that's perfect.

Thanks.

Haaaa 'weenie points'

Everyone seems to like my peen points terminology. :D

I'm 33 guys, im not fussed about reputation.

Same age as me. I'd be lying if I said reputation doesn't affect me, but typically it only matters when coming from someone I respect. If Mike ever downvoted me or gave me negative rep, for example, it would sting more than some drive-by no name McWhothehellareyou.

"But it works because I've just tested it. Why is it wrong?"

Heh, I get that at work all the time. It's tough explaining how something is wrong even though it happens to work at the time.

is the down voter tallented enough to know its wrong and down vote it whilst at the same time not being bothered to provide a solution or help.

Unlikely. We all have huge egos, and a big part of being right is making sure everyone knows we're right. Anonymous voting doesn't contribute toward that goal. ;)

Of course, then there's the risk of making an incorrect correction. But the ego blinders have a large effect. I can guarantee from experience that knocking someone down a few notches after they correct you with their own mistake is pure pleasure. If you haven't had the chance to do that yet, I'd strongly recommend sticking around until you do.

Member Avatar for Warrens80

let me reword that a little better, they d ont hate me but they don't exactly care for
me

let me reword that a little better, they d ont hate me but they don't exactly care for me

They have to warm up to you, which can take longer for some than others. As an example, Narue (who may be one of the more respected members on Daniweb) was almost banned and shunned when she first started posting due to her abrasive style.

Member Avatar for diafol

No Warrens is right - everybody hates him :) heh heh. But he likes it that way.

I'm glad you've decided not to leave, JC.

It's greate site Dani, I guess I just forgot how to play nice with others.

Glad you decided to stay. Love the code snippets by the way.

I like it here Jim, there's some good characters.

Currently working on a generice company freeware title which I'm going to publish but post the source on here "Show off your projects". I think there's a bunch of useful snippet's which I think the community may like to use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.