If you read people's posts, you'll notice that some people have stars under their name. One star for every 1,000 posts the person makes. What I"m thinking of adding is a second ratng system that illustrates the number of posts a person has in the current forum.

For example, Narue has lots of posts in the C++ forum. Therefore, when reading her posts in the C++ forum, she would have a very high rating. But when reading her posts in the Internet Marketing forum, she would have a low rating.

Useful idea or just very confusing? You be the judge.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I'm slightly confused as to the purpose of this.

It would make sense as a measure of reputation on a forum by forum basis perhaps, based on the more active you are the more valuable you are likely to be to that forum. But how does that then impact upon the 'rep power' rating?

Sorry if I'm missing something by a country mile here :)

Has nothing to do with the rep rating.

You see the five stars below my username? That is related to the number of posts I have ... one star for every 1,000 posts. (It caps at 5 stars)

What I'm suggesting is that there are two rows of stars. One for "This forum" and one for "All forums". This can be used to indicate how many posts a person has in the specific forum.

For example, suppose someone replies to your question in the PHP forum and they have over 1,000 posts. It might be nice to know whether or not 999 of those 1,000 posts are in off-topic and the Geek's Lounge :)

Just an idea.

I understand the mechanics of it, just not sure of the value which would seem to be more a reputation thing than anything else: your example being a point in question, knowing if the person answering a question is prolific within the specific forum is a reputation thing surely?

I guess what I'm saying is, is it likely to be something that adds real value, or just adds another row of stars :)

I think I agree with you, Davey. It was just an idea I thought of but I, myself, wasn't really sure if it would add any value. Which is why I opened the idea up to discussion.

is it possible to have 5 stars but a rep power of only one green square thingy?

Yup ... stars is solely based on postcount. :)

that means I lose my 3 stars?
oh well. no big deal. who needs those stars anyway. Sour in the first place. no biggie. who cares. honest. I have my name in bold. Now that is something.

Let me explain why you lost stars ...

Because the way the system was working, members had zero stars, sponsors had one, team colleagues had two, moderators had three, super moderators had four, and admins had five. But no one knew that so it was pretty unhelpful.

But now there are the new little badges describing what people are, the stars are redundant. So I decided to make stars about post count so this way members can get them too :) And us staff have badges :)

my badge please.

You have it. It says MODERATOR and it's to the left of your Join Date in your post.

It's okay. I dont need a badge. I got myself a crown.

Well no special interest in those things. Same as stars. Just wanted to clarify what happened. That's all. Didnt even realize I was missing my stars until I saw this thread. It was then that I "Really saw Stars". Your Highness.

Ahh, alright. BTW what does your signature mean?

Ahh, alright. BTW what does your signature mean?

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Lord of the Rings - page 272

Very condensed language, Japanese, isn't it? (I assume it's Japanese since you live in Japan).

Oh no. This is Black Speech. Invented by JR Tolkein for the Lord of the Rings.

Ah, gotcha! I never saw Lord of the Rings. The only artificial language I know is Klingon lol.

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Lord of the Rings - page 272

Ever seen Chris Torek's The Rule?

One Rule to ring them all
One Rule to find them
One Rule to point them all
And in the language bind them

-- apologies to J. R. R. Tolkien

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.