When I'm scrolling through a post that contains a block of code, I get a leftover line in the block with each scrolling.
Firefox 1.5.0.4, Win2k SP4.

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

As I'm sure you've experienced, when code snippet lines get way too long, a horizontal scrollbar automatically appears to accomidate this. Since code snippets are a fixed height, that extra space is reserved to make room for a scrollbar if one is needed.

I mean these (I'm not sure if you did too):

Oh!! I don't see that? Do you see it in all web browsers? Can anyone else confirm?

Right now, I am not experiencing it, but I remember seeing those lines in my browser. Not always though. Either when my computer or network is on a heavy load.

Hmm ... only when your computer is under heavy load? Is it possible it's a browser rendering issue on your end. What would be great to know is if the same post sometimes displays it and sometimes doesn't. That will let me debug whether it's a condition on my end that is causing this problem or not.

I get it "sometimes". It seems to have to do with the alignment of the text box on the size of the page from what I can tell.

Hmm ... only when your computer is under heavy load? Is it possible it's a browser rendering issue on your end. What would be great to know is if the same post sometimes displays it and sometimes doesn't. That will let me debug whether it's a condition on my end that is causing this problem or not.

Okay. Got this problem again. See the image attached. I always get it for that particular reply in this thread. The other replies for the same thread are not affected. Only the one I have shown. Also I dont get it in my desktop computer. Only in my laptop.
I think this will be a tough one Dani.

Do you use the same web browser on your desktop and laptop computers? Are both using the exact same version numbers (including minor version #)?

Yes. Firefox 1.5.0.4

Does this only happen with

code tags

or does it also happen with

php tags

or

html tags

?

I don't know. The forums I read use only code tags. I checked some posts in the PHP section, but they looked fine. But then again, I don't see this problem for all posts with code tags, so can't be sure.

You're really making it tough for me ... it happens some of the time on some of your computers but I never experience it on any of my windows machines or my mac in IE, Firefox, or Safari web browsers. :(

You're really making it tough for me ... it happens some of the time on some of your computers but I never experience it on any of my windows machines or my mac in IE, Firefox, or Safari web browsers. :(

Yeah Dani. I understand. You can't debug a problem unless you can reproduce it in your side. All I can say is that some posts always give that problem in the same computer (for example the post I showed still gives me the same problem on my laptop), and some do not give it at all. Anyways I can live with it. Just keep your eyes open when you browse the C/C++ section. maybe you will find a post that is like that on one of your computers too.
Or you could come see it for yourself...ready to make a trip to Japan :cheesy: ?

Okay Dani. It seems that my work computer shows the above posts in the same way. Same browser too. Firefox 1.5.0.4. So I don't think it is random as such.

I get the lines too but only in FireFox 1.5.0.4 not IE 6 (always updated to latest)

Whats more if I switch from a maximized firefox on this post to some other maximaized window and back again the lines are gone, if I scroll the code window off the bottom of the screen and back up again the lines come back.

So it's gotta be windows graphics api (directx maybe) and repaint events. Maybe something broke in a windows update recently ? to make us all go and buy Vista when it finally arrives!

Wierd I've never seen it before going to the post Wolfpack shows in his screen dump. Maybe if a code window has specific proportions the pixel to twips algorithm breaks down in the bowls of the OS someplace.

Wolfpacks screen shows 8 lines, I only get 2. Most bizarre!

Yeah it's definitely a redraw thing, if I select the code the lines are "rubbed out", they are the top and bottom of the code window border not being redrawn properly, so it's either dodgy browser rendering or undocumented feature in the API.

I've read Firefox is a bit trigger happy on wheely mouse scroll event firing, perhaps it clogs the message queue and some repaints don't get a chance.

Even more bizarre, the slower I scroll the more lines I get !! if I scroll with mouse inline codey wodey wheel I get two lines always, if I slowly drag the browser verticle scroll bar I get squillions!

codey wodey code
:
:
code code code
:
:

Ok I done some more testing it only happens after I add inline code tags as well as normal code tags in the post.

Hey there ya go you can have that for free. He he..

Another thing it only happens scrolling the post from off bottom of screen up (scroll bar sliding down), not when scrolling post off top of screen down (scroll bar sliding up).

Ok I done some more testing it only happens after I add inline code tags as well as normal code tags in the post.

This is a very good observation. I get the same thing at my end too. Both at Work and Home. Well Done. :!: :idea:

commented: Alone we are week together we are mighty! +2

Cough cough hack rep-power cough aher hrrrrr ... hmm, scuse me sorry!

commented: Done. +2
Member Avatar for iamthwee

Cough cough hack rep-power cough aher hrrrrr ... hmm, scuse me sorry!

You need some cough sweets, for that cough you got there.

commented: Some cough sweets for you too. +2
commented: Ahh that's better +2

Oh yeah, thanx they worked !

Cheers:cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.