Here is an image of this topic as I see it on my PC.
http://postimg.org/image/x98hk6vvl/

Notice anything?

It's a mobile phone image in the middle of my screen.
I don't have a problem scrolling, It's not hard, I just don't like to scroll past vast wasted space.

rproffitt commented: I noticed that once today. The right hand side with "Related Articles" was missing. Hungry server? +0

On the flip side of the coin, not every user who finds DaniWeb helpful (and doesn't seem to have a problem with the interface - especially newbies who would know nothing else from DaniWeb) is vocal in posting about it in public. However, I do get a fair dose of private messages such as the following, which would seem to suggest it's not all doom and gloom, and that the interface isn't as impenetrable as some people here would have us believe.

"Thanks, I found your board very helpful, your members give better description on what you need to do. On some boards it's often a "just do this." without any logic. I always wondered why people answered like this, it's like they didn't want to be bothered. I believe if your going to help give it 110%, to a new user that means a lot."

I think that message this topic sends out is very clear and says that users dont like/dont want/dont find it of any use/whatever changes that has been made. Question is: why not to roll them back to what is was before? Any reason for this? Or is it just 'no, just because no'?

Instead of adding tagsystem, Dani should have focused on improving many smaller thingsd like pagination etc. This would not cause drop in activity...... way round: drop in activity means people are not satisfied with DW and leave......

Actually, the message that this particular topic/thread sends out is that half a dozen people don't like it...

That doesn't mean that Dani won't be taking the thoughts of those members on board, but nor does it mean that all users, most users, even a lot of users don't like the changes. Dani is always actively measuring how changes impact upon traffic, and bases her decisions upon that and other factors.

As for 'why not roll them back to what it was before' I do seriously wonder sometimes if you actually read these threads, or at least the comments that don't reflect your own world view. Diafol, for example, has answered this numerous times across numerous threads that you are involved in.

@up: Dont say that Dani always actively measuring how changes impact upon traffic, and bases her decisions upon that and other factors. Its simply not true here; or Dani does not know how to do it correctly....... All I mean is if it was up to me, and if I saw that changes I made caused drop in activity, Id roll them back without hesitation........

Dont get me wrong - Dani is talented as of she invented DW; thats for sure, she just made a mistake and now she should repair it. For the sake of activity.

Member Avatar for misi

Question is: why not to roll them back to what is was before? Any reason for this? Or is it just 'no, just because no'?

No, it isn't.
It was a lot of work to create the current and previous site(after vBulletin).
Not easy to accept that it's not fulfilling the purpose.

@up: I know it was a lot of work, but people dont like it;
BTW - Dani would show (and earn) great respect if she shows her ability to listen to her users......

Member Avatar for diafol

You've posted some rubbish in your time here dtpp, but this is really taking the biscuit. I really don't know why the hell you're still here. You joined relatively recently and you've done very little other than bitch and moan the whole time on the community forum.
The fact is dtpp, if you peruse the feedback forum, you'll see numerous threads started by Dani asking for feedback and ideas. Not sure you're doing your research.

@up: bitching and moaning? its not only me who does it, so why your post is directed at me?
BTW: if its not only me, it means sth is wrong here, people see it and talk openly...... why not stop this by doing what we want? Any reason for this?

What @misi wrote above is true: its not easy to accept that changes does not fulfill the purpose.... but, once accepted, shows the real value of person accepting it.

Member Avatar for diafol

The reason I'm targeting you dtpp, is the fact that while misi is just suggesting going back to the old design, as have one or two others (including yourself), you are making personal comments about respect and Dani. Your general tone since the start has been condescending and dismissive and "I know best", regardless of the evidence . That is totally uncalled for and you should restrict yourself to facts. Getting personal about it is bang out of order.

@dtpp: "Dont say that Dani always actively measuring how changes impact upon traffic, and bases her decisions upon that and other factors. Its simply not true here; or Dani does not know how to do it correctly"

Christ on a bike, really? And you know this how? I've known Dani for close on 10 years. I have been an admin here for close on 10 years. I know what Dani does a lot better than you.

@dtpp: "if I saw that changes I made caused drop in activity, Id roll them back without hesitation"

Again, your selective reading process has filtered out the parts where Dani has mentioned that traffic has risen since the changes were implemented, not dropped.

@dtpp: "people dont like it"

Correction, some people don't like. In fact, I think the total number who have said they don't like it on DaniWeb is less than a dozen...

@dtpp: "if she shows her ability to listen"

I suggest you eat your own dogfood here (take your own advice) and do the same.

@dtpp: "why not stop this by doing what we want? Any reason for this?"

Do you seriously think that any site, any business, would run best if it made changes at the behest of a handful of users every time they asked for those changes?

@up: I see you are blindly supporting Dani, no matter what she does, she has strong support in your person.......
Based on above, there is no sense entering discussion with you as it will lead to nothing constructive.....

And big yes - business (especially the one which deals with users) will be quickly down if they do not listen to what users (no matter how many of them) have to say.......
Member Avatar for diafol

Not blind support dtpp - it's based on EVIDENCE. We have DATA to support the upturn in visitors. HG has been an admin here for 10 years, through every iteration of this site - the highs and the lows. You continue to suggest that you know best, when you, in fact, know nothing or very little about Daniweb. You suggested to me that I hadn't done certain things when I said I had to close down a few forum sites - how the hell would you know? The truth is, you don't know, you're not interested in knowing and you're too afraid to look weak by eating your words. So, who's blindly supporting their argument here? You.

@dtpp: "And big yes - business (especially the one which deals with users) will be quickly down if they do not listen to what users (no matter how many of them) have to say......."

Here we go again. OK, so you have put your case for the system to roll back as it was, we implement that according to your view of how business should work. Great. Then someone else comes along and says, actually I preferred the new system, so we should then swap back to that right? Do you not see the complete and total folly in what you are arguing for?

And, for the record, DaniWeb has been one of the most responsive of sites that I've ever been involved with when it comes to listening to users and making changes based upon that input. However, that doesn't mean that everything you say should happen is going to happen, nor should it.

@up:? we should count voices; how many for and how many against and we should weight arguments.Its completely unacceptable for staff to say sth like 'no; because of no'......

Who is saying 'no because of no' exactly?

I repeat, go back and read what Dani has said already. She has made the reasons for changing to the tagging system quite clear, you have apparently chosen to ignore those. Fair enough, that's your perogative. However, you are now sounding more and more just like a troll that requires feeding...

@up: no - Im not ignoring it. I just dont accept it. Thats big difference

I noticed that once today. The right hand side with "Related Articles" was missing. Hungry server?

That's exactly what it was that made it look odd, I never even realized. Thanks.

commented: I can now replicate this. On Daniweb, Click Finder, Articles I'm watching, click on the Unread on the right and the right Related Articles is gone. +0

My apologies for not following up in this thread sooner. I've been away on vacation for the past 8 days, and just arrived home last night at midnight.

I've gone ahead and added a tooltip to the hamburger menu that indicates that it's a Forum List. Additionally, I've added two additional dropdown menus to the top of the Finder Menu to easily recall your Favorite Forums and Favorite Tags.

commented: thank you! +0
Member Avatar for diafol

Now that's what I call responsive - and listening to members! As usual, may I add.
Trolls, take note.
Thank you Dani.

Seems this thread is generating a lot of activity on its own.
Thanks Dani for the nice additions!

Indeed, get to the stuff I want to see, in 1 click. Sometimes I need to use my phone connection tethered, and it's way slow at peak time (100 Kbs), so this helps a lot.

Why Dani didnt comment on what Ive written? She's responsive but to selected requests only. Its not to be called responsiveness......

Responsiveness isn't just giving you what you want. Or are you 3 years old and think that people should just give in to all your demands?

Member Avatar for diafol

Be polite and people will listen. Act like a prat and be ignored. Simple.

Actually that.s not quite it. It.s more to do with being reasonable.

First: its not only me who dislike new changes.
Second: Im not a troll/prat, I just voice my dislikes and why. This is what feedback forum is for, isnt it?
Same way I could say about DaniWeb and current situation: listen to users and survive; ignore them and disappear.
Ignorance is not proper solution for this.

I'll remind that its not only me who dislike new changes.

No, it isn't only you. However, neither is it a majority of DaniWeb members or anywhere near it. So far, since the chnages went live, no more than a dozen people have posted anything to say they don't like it. Of those, their initial concerns were tempered by changes that Dani made in response to their reasonable suggestions and they went on to say they were OK with it as a result.

What is only you, however, is someone who simply keeps repeating "I don't like it, change it back. I don't like it, change it back" while refusing to engage in any meaningful dialogue beyond that. And, for the record, we don't include 'Dani doesn't know what she is doing' or 'you are all ignorant' as being meaningful.

I just dont see reason/s why not to change back to what it was? If its not only me it means we are a group; Even if we werent, Dani - if she really listens to users - should roll back to what it was.

Lets investigate a little - drop in activity started when? When new changes went live. What does it say? That people dont like it. What msg this sends out? Roll them back and activity will raise. Quite simple logic.

Could you please list out reasons why not to roll changes back please?

For me it looks like Dani made mistake, and - for some reason - is affraid of admitting it, and rolling changes back. I may as well be wrong.

If I was an admin and group of users reported they dont like changes made by me, I'd roll them back immediately. Just for the sake of them being my visitors; because I know its important to have good opinion and opinion is spread by users; happy userbase = good opinion = more users to come.

Bangs head on desk...

Stops feeding the troll.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.