Well ...

We've launched. All new code. From the ground up. Every line rewritten by yours truly. It's a bit buggy here right now, but please just give me a day or so to clear everything up.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Please ignore the e-mail I sent about the login.

I reset the password on my phone after I was unable to login. DW accepted that, but on my desktop I still wasn't able to login to DW. After I did the reset there, DW on the desktop worked too.

Besides that, I wonder why I can automatically login (without providing credentials), after I explicitly choose to logout. Not very safe on a shared PC.

I know you told me to wait posting, but since I had this issue with the login I figured to post, because maybe more might have the same issue. This resolved it for me.

Member Avatar for

Where has my user id gone?

Member Avatar for

How do I log in with my old user name and password?

Member Avatar for

Hmmm

Member Avatar for

This must be an anonymous post bug.

CimmerianX here, I can't use my old ID/PW. I'd have to use a new account with registration through a 3rd party. Bleh and yuck.

The move to Disquss (or however it's spelled) is why I left the previous tech forums.

Still getting lots of bugs sorted. My apologies in the meantime.

And as far as why Dazah is required for login, it's because huge parts of DaniWeb functionality now sit on top of Dazah's API. I have tons of reasons for this, and I can go into a lot of detail once I get these urgent bugs squashed right now. However, the short version of it all is that Dazah is my own creation and owned and operated by DaniWeb LLC.

https://www.daniweb.com/community-center/daniweb-community-feedback/area-51/threads/502148/future-direction-of-daniweb

once I get these urgent bugs squashed

Does that include allowing the password to be reset? I get an unknown link error when I use the reset link from the email.

I was just able to reset my password successfully. What reset link are you referring to?

Member Avatar for diafol

Access your user profile
Make changes to your user profile
Read your conversations
Write messages on your behalf
Access your groups
Write group messages on your behalf

What does this mean? Who's writing what on my behalf? Who's making changes to my user profile? Is it me? If so, why doesn't it say so. If not, goodbye (again).

commented: Ditto +0
commented: Pretty unclear and I'm on another account just to reply today. +0

> > Access your user profile
> > Make changes to your user profile
> > Read your conversations
> > Write messages on your behalf
> > Access your groups
> > Write group messages on your behalf
>
>
> What does this mean? Who's writing what on my behalf? Who's making changes to my user profile? Is it me? If so, why doesn't it say so. If > not, goodbye (again).

Yes, an explanation is in order. Count me out too if one is not forthcoming. Still can't log in as AssertNull and I'm not giving permission to do the above on my main gmail account, which AssertNull is under. I assume you're not asking my permission to read/write on my GMAIL account, right? It did import my full real name till I changed it to Fred Flintstone, from, I assume, my gmail account.

I promise I will explain everything shortly!! Just squashing some immediate bugs right now!!

So, basically the short of it is that Dazah is a new community platform that manages messaging among members of a community, among other things.

DaniWeb is one such app that is on the Dazah platform. You are granting this DaniWeb app permission to access your Dazah account. It doesn't make much sense right now because this is the only app that exists. But in the near future there will be mobile apps and all sorts of things that you can use to find and chat with other DaniWeb members.

Basically the super short answer is yes, you're the only one writing and making changes to your own Dazah account, through the DaniWeb app.

The permissions screen is really just setting things up that are soon to come.

Member Avatar for diafol

Thanks for clearing that up Dani - I was on the verge of saying f*** it. I imagine many people seeing that screen would be thinking, what the hell is all that about and deciding, no way.

BTW - why all the advertising now? Where's the off switch?

Thanks for clearing that up Dani - I was on the verge of saying f*** it. I imagine many people seeing that screen would be thinking, what the hell is all that about and deciding, no way.

I think things will become much clearer in the near future once there are other apps out there. In that respect, you can think of this DaniWeb web app as one way of interacting with your Dazah account. There might be someone else making a mobile app that would be a different way of interacting with your Dazah account. Yet a third app might interact in a different way altogether. Each app does something completely different, and some might be "nicer" than others, so we require your permission to give the apps the ability to do what they ask for.

In terms of advertising ... It's the exact same advertising as always, but I removed the off switch for two reasons:

1.) Most people just use their own browser-based ad blocker and aren't inclined to go into the settings for a specific website.
2.) We got accepted into the beta program of this new Google functionality that, instead of using a browser-based ad blocker, you configure it in your Google profile and it lets you see whatever image you choose in the ad space regardless of where on the web you are. Google then pays the publisher the equivalent of if they had shown ads. I don't remember the name of the program offhand, but you can Google it.

What reset link are you referring to?
Just tried it again and it works now.

Member Avatar for nullptr_2

I gave up trying to resurrect my old user name, so now I'm the new improved nullptr_2.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.