I tried to go to a thread in Chrome and the connection timed out. I loaded Firefox and browsed to Daniweb and tried to log in. I was sent to Dazah (as expected) where I was told my password was no longer valid (I use a password manager so a typo was out of the question). I did a password reset and logged in to Dazah then browsed to Daniweb where I was told I was not logged in. I clicked log in and the page refreshed with me shown as logged in.

This whole process is not user friendly.

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

That happened to me as I was trying to login on my Asus T100 Android tablet. I tried to grab a screenshot but failed.

Very strange screens there.

No password problems here, but I keep getting diverted to Dazah to re-confirm the permissions.

Jim, that's not the desired behavior at all. Perhaps a cookie issue? Are you able to reproduce it?

AssertNull, what page on Dazah are you getting diverted to?!

This permissions page...

DaniWeb would like to do the following:
Access your user profile
Make changes to your user profile
Read your conversations
Write messages on your behalf
Access your groups
Write group messages on your behalf

Just got diverted to it again when I logged into Daniweb a minute ago.

And once again just now when I did a quick logout and login at Daniweb to test. So twice within the last two minutes.

And again... Every time I re-login to Daniweb, it requests a re-authorization of the permissions. It didn't used to do that. Chrome. Windows 10. I have the same browser settings as always. Did not clear cookies or cache between logins.

Are you clicking the Join link or the Login link in the top navigation menu? The Join link should re-request. The login link shouldn't.

Are you clicking the Join link or the Login link in the top navigation menu? The Join link should re-request. The login link shouldn't.

Uh, I thought I was clicking the Login link. However, now that I'm paying attention, every time I click the Login link, I'm not redirected. Every time I click the Join link now, I am redirected.

Sooooo, given that it is now behaving exactly as you say it should, I'm guessing I wasn't paying attention before and was clicking Join. Whoops! My bad. Sorry. Hope you didn't spend hours tracking down a non-existent bug. That would probably explain why sometimes it didn't redirect to the permissions page. Twas mindlessly clicking two different buttons. If I could downvote my own post, I would.

Hope you didn't spend hours tracking down a non-existent bug.

Nope, I realized right away what I suspected was going on.

Noticed today that Daniweb via Chrome is extremely slow. Yes, I cleared the cache. Also, when I click the waffle the display drops down as if it is trying to render the menu, except it doesn't render the menu. Works in Firefox, though.

All pages or only certain pages?

Just tried daniweb on Chrome after an afternoon of snoozing and reading down by the lake (aaaahhhhhh). I can't get on to daniweb using Chrome at all. It just times out. Firefox loads in a few seconds. Unfortunately, google has refused to include a configurable timeout parameter similar to Firefox.

It took about 30 seconds for Chrome to timeout.

I should also mention. Chrome isn't slow on other sites that I regularly visit. Just Daniweb.

Try clearing your DaniWeb cookies. Does that fix the problem?

No.

Tried again just now going directly to the Programming forum. After 60 seconds of blank window I bailed out of Chrome. Took 3-4 seconds to load in Firefox.

I opened Chrome Version 51.0.2704.106 m (64-bit) and it took 5 seconds to get to the Programming forum.

And it's updating. will retest after that.
Now at Chrome Version 52.0.2743.82 m (64-bit). It relaunched and the Dani URL for the Programming forum loaded and displayed in 2 seconds.

I'm running Chrome version 52.0.2743.82 m (64-bit)

And I cleared everything that Chrome allows me to clear.

OK, I wonder if Chrome is spending time on addins. I have Adblock+ and Web Of Trust. Nothing else.
The DNS and such is in this IPCONFIG dump.

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-5E-0F-DA-A9-58
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4035:56c1:60af:bdef%5(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.159(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 31, 2016 8:30:40 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 31, 2016 12:48:50 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 85483023
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-0F-26-CB-9C-5C-8E-10-56-7F
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.4.4
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

FWIW my dump is

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Home
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-6E-85-50-01-4F
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7865:bb6c:75e:49d8%2(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 27, 2016 16:35:02
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 7, 2016 09:46:14
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 53243525
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-90-53-BE-84-7B-EB-1C-D8-50
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

and I'll state again, Daniweb is the only site showing this behaviour.

Just so you know why I chose those DNS. I ran namebench and those won.

Here's what my Chrome task manager looks like.
http://i.imgur.com/xL1OUF3.png

Daniweb is working with Chrome now. Lightning fast.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.