With the new navigation menu and search functionality, are you finding stuff easier to access?

Recommended Answers

All 42 Replies

Dani,

Yes and no. Yes in the way its nice-looking one, and no because your JS is broken (my assumption).

How is the JS broken? What isn't working?

The blue dropdown navigation menu disappears when I log in.
Using FF based browser and Win 7.

edit: it was a bug caused by Greasemonkey

Regarding the new navigation menu when I want to click a link/button that's at the top of the page I can't, because the navigation appears. You use opacity: 0 and on hover you set the opacity to 1 so that it appears.

Perhaps it's a suggestion to show that navigation menu when user scrolls up like Medium does?
http://wicky.nillia.ms/headroom.js/

I'll look into having it appear when sliding up. As of now, you're experiencing the behavior by design, so not a bug. But I'll look into doing it a bit different.

Yeah I understood the behavior is made by design and is not a bug. Nonetheless it can be annoying when a user wants to perform an action at the top of the page... well it was a bit for me :)

Yup, and that's why I'll work on improving it. Initially I was planning on having the forums shown all the time, but then I decided to hide them when the mouse cursor isn't in the area and you are scrolled further down the page, for the purpose of additional reading space.

In a word, yes.

@Dani, in what way is JS broken? I dont know, you tell me as you are sysadmin here.....

commented: So why bother mentioning it? Are you here to help or just be a PITA? Serious question. +0

@Dani, in what way is JS broken? I dont know, you tell me as you are sysadmin here.....

I'm guessing Dani is asking for a bug report from you since one assumes you believe you've found a bug. Telling her the JS is broken is too vague. The developer needs the who/what/when/where/how in order to track down the why.

commented: Quite. +0

Here's a bug for you (I assume). Click the Daniweb icon or refresh the screen and it reloads. As the screen is refreshing, for about a half second there appears to be a navigation menu at the top in blue, but it disappears immediately so you cannot click on it. Windows 10 Home Version. Chrome. 64 bit Intel Core i7 Laptop.

Tried to attach a 3 second MP4 Screen Capture, less than 1 MB, 1920x1080 dimensions, but system rejected it...

The filetype you are attempting to upload is not allowed.

Can you please email me at dani@daniwebmail.com with the video? Thanks!!

Sent.

Here's a bug for you (I assume).

Looks to be caused by your Greasemonkey script that is adding additional links to the navigation menu and therefore wrapping to the next line and covering up the blue nav, that is meant to remain.

Although I'm quite honored that you took the time to modify DaniWeb. :)

Looks to be caused by your Greasemonkey script that is adding additional links to the navigation menu and therefore wrapping to the next line and covering up the blue nav, that is meant to remain.

Yep, that was it. The blue bar remains when Greasemonkey is disabled.

Although I'm quite honored that you took the time to modify DaniWeb. :)

Can't take credit for that one unfortunately. Copy and paste from Diafol.

OK, new one. Probably working as intended, but I'll throw it out there...

So, Greasemonkey is disabled and I see the blue menu options below the purple menu options. Now I scroll down the page a little and the blue menu options disappear, yet the purple menu options always remain. In order to see the blue menu options again, I must scroll to the top of the page again. I cannot see them now as I am typing this post. I CAN see the purple options as I am typing this post.

Bug? Feature?

That's as designed. The navigation menu is meant to be seen when you're all the way scrolled up to the top of the page, or when you move your mouse cursor towards the top to interact with it. But it takes up too much screen real estate with smaller browser windows to keep it displayed all the time.

That's as designed.

I don't find it a good solution, Dani. It really messes up with links and buttons that are at the top. Even the menu from this editor is sometimes at the top and therefore underneath your hidden navigation menu, because I scrolled up too much. I have to scroll down a bit so that I can click on the editors menu again. Also try to click on the fixed positioned social media share buttons of this page the menu appears which makes it difficult to click on those buttons.

The navigation menu is meant to be seen when you're all the way scrolled up to the top of the page, or when you move your mouse cursor towards the top to interact with it.

I understand your reasoning why you did it and I fully agree with that, but the functionality has to change imo into something like show that menu when user scrolls up a bit and not while hovering with the cursor on the top area.

if you want help with that for some reason, just let me know :)
I've implemented a 'show header on scroll up' functionality before based on Jquery, so I have that lying around here.

Okay, I couldn't help it to play around with it myself :)
It's pretty much only adding/removing a class .fixed on a scroll event to #forum-list and the rest gets handled with CSS.

http://codepen.io/gentlemedia/pen/pRKpdJ

Member Avatar for diafol

I like the forum button on mobile view. That has been bugging me for ages. Nice :) Also the ability to upvote on mobile. Just gave gentlemedia my first mobile upvote in a php thread :)

Nice revamp. But can you save us a click? That is, if I click on Read on the top bar and there are no results, the top bar is gone and I have to click on <DANIWEB>. Call me lazy.

oh... shit. My upvote smiley didn't go well, diafol :)

Member Avatar for diafol

Really don't like new design for thread list. No longer clear what I've read and what I've not. Colours not enough for this. Need something a lot more obvious.

//edit

Maybe the "unread" label? Missed it. OK, officially an idiot.

Still don't like it though :(

Really don't like new design for thread list. No longer clear what I've read and what I've not.

Still a work in progress. I'm pushing changes live every little bit. Expect it to settle in a couple of days.

Keep up with this Dani and it will be ok. Good luck :)

Is there an improvement in the thread listings as of today? I plan on working on the navigation menu for mobile and forum thread pages next.

Member Avatar for diafol

Title font is more bold, so a bit more obvious. Not sure about it though.

The left sidebar area is blue instead of grey. The font is bold. The font color is a much brighter blue. There's a button that says Unread. Still not obvious, eh?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.