A lot of this discussion has to do with the fact that I am from the school where communities should revolve around the actual discussions and EVERYTHING else is just bloatware.

Hmm yeah i know many communities which dont concentrate much on the presentation and only on the content (eg. PerlMonks you should really look at that site, you wont believe the amount of postings that site has seeing its simple design).

But still we should move along with times and if possible try to implement the changes which makes DaniWeb which is already rich in content and continuously growing, also the best in terms of presentation.

So it would be Content + Presentation while only one of these for the remaining sites. Does that not give DaniWeb an upper hand ?

But from my point of view, not allowing users to specify random colors IMPROVES the presentation by far. ;)

Hmm so if you really think that way, then you know there is no one above you... You can just say no and the debate will just die out.
After all its "Dani's" web.

I was once a WordPerfect fan, about version 5 or 6. Word 6 eventually caught me and subsequent releases eventually caught up to the power I'd seen in FrameMaker about '93. I made use of character and paragraph styles. There weren't many color printers, but I experimented with them as well. Tables, I discovered, had wonderful formatting powers: I rewrote my resume to make use of this.

At the same time, I saw existing documents that others produced. Folks didn't care that much, and the common office template used today nearly makes me wretch. But I am finding that technology is now helping people learn to use these tools. Back when Word was evolving, people were doing everything solo. You only had yourself to compare against. Today, we see that doing things online allows us to learn far more. Which makes learning how to add color and formatting to documents easier to learn.

[imo]So the future generation of net users will be more format-savvy than us old folks. In fact, I'd bet they will have come to expect it. So my point is that you are gearing up to please 5 years ago rather than five years from now. And I think your experts are wrong.[/imo]

I've been doing this for so long, that it has been pleasant watching the rest of the world finally catch up.

As far as calling it "professional", I think that's a buzzword you've bought into. There is no doubt that all of the following are highly professional. But I have no doubt that my viewing pleasure and ease of use is plain text last, HTML in the middle, and PDF highest.

I am trying to point out that I think the future of forums will go more towards an in-between land between HTML and PDF, whereas I feel you are trying to go somewhere between HTML and plain text.

Like I said, I like to write what I want to write. I don't post code snippets on Cprogramming.com because I don't care for the format. I like that version, for the most part, here (I'd still like to have printer-friendly versions though). The ability to format things the say I'd like affects my probability of posting. If it's a site where I'm asking a question, I don't care all that much. But when I am on the answering side, I want to be able to say what I want to say. If I can't, I won't.

When I search for information, these days I can be picky. Not only do I want to find good high-quality information, I also want it to be presented in a way that doesn't make me stare at it. A formatted page is worth 100 words, and a picture is worth 1000. Plain text gets a "well, maybe I'll come back to this if I can't find anything else".

To be brief, :lol: , I feel that formatting is important. And that it is growing in importance.

It's late and I'm sleepy and just got home from work, so I'll have more to say tomorrow. But for right now ... I gave in to ya about the color, didn't I? :) As far as printer-friendly blogs and code snippets, that got delayed because I got sick, but it's still got a high priority on my list of things to do.

It's late and I'm sleepy and just got home from work, so I'll have more to say tomorrow. But for right now ... I gave in to ya about the color, didn't I? :) As far as printer-friendly blogs and code snippets, that got delayed because I got sick, but it's still got a high priority on my list of things to do.

sorry, but i would have to agree with dani though, it does look so much better in one colour

sorry, but i would have to agree with dani though, it does look so much better in one colour

That means you don't use a code editor with syntax highlighting, and would rather use notepad to write your code? Or are you a programmer at all?

That means you don't use a code editor with syntax highlighting, and would rather use notepad to write your code? Or are you a programmer at all?

Err... Wolfie, i had the same impression at the start that this is all about syntax highlighting in code but this is not about it. This topic is about using code to highlight the text if the context demands as Mr. Dave Sinkula had pointed out.

The thing about code highlighting is what Miss Dani has been thinking about, but is not on her top priority list.

Don't say it's not on the top of my priority list. It was on my short list of things to do, but then I got sick for a couple of weeks this month. So now that I'm back, I'm finding I'm swamped with a bunch more critical things - but I will get there eventually!

Err... Wolfie, i had the same impression at the start that this is all about syntax highlighting in code but this is not about it. This topic is about using code to highlight the text if the context demands as Mr. Dave Sinkula had pointed out.

The thing about code highlighting is what Miss Dani has been thinking about, but is not on her top priority list.

I know what this thread is about. If you look at my previous posts you will realize that. Since colour has been re-enabled in the reply boxes, I will have to assume that what darren refers to is the syntax highlighted code blocks. If dani says that colour enabled code will be implemented in the future I don't have a problem. After all these things take time. But if anybody questions the effectiveness of using colour within posts or code blocks, that is where I will have to counter-reply ;).

Don't say it's not on the top of my priority list. It was on my short list of things to do, but then I got sick for a couple of weeks this month. So now that I'm back, I'm finding I'm swamped with a bunch more critical things - but I will get there eventually!

Hey Miss Dani didnt know that you were sick. Sorry if my remarks hurt you, I exactly know the kind of pressure you are under. :(

@My Friend Werewolf

Hmm... just when I thought i had cornered you.... drats :D

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread57971.html

I think color should still be here, but there should be some warning about excessive use of color somewhere. Perhaps add it in the Forum Rules? Or maybe only allow color after someone has a post-count higher than 100 or something.

There already is a statement in the forum rules about excessive color and font formatting usage.

"Additionally, use [bbcode] only when it is necessary to the comprehension of your post. Avoid using an excessive amount of [bbcode] to alter font styles."

Yes, but many people don't even know what bbcode is. All they have to do is simply click the color button, and they won't even see any tags if the editor is in WYSIWYG mode.

Agreed. The word bbcode should be clarified to be font color and style.

I think you misunderstood - That isn't what this thread is about at all. Syntax highlighting code within the forums is something I've been considering doing when I have the time in the future. Right now the issue that is being discussed is whether the little WYSIWYG editors should include a color selection tool, similar to Word, where users can highlight anything they want in any color they want.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post267240.html#post267240

Hmm.. cant wait to test it out and see how it works.

BTW for what all langs this feature has been added ?

It works for all languages within the code snippet library.

Sorry but this thread is too long to look through so I apologize if this question has been answered.

Just tried to edit my signature and was told bbcode color can't be used anymore. But I already have color in my sig! Now I can't edit my sig or lose my color. :(

Yes Miss Dani has made some changes regarding the rules for keeping signatures.

A 5 line limit has been placed along with not allowing the use of colors (methinks).

So better not change your signature otherwise you would lose it forever..:D

you can still use colour from text when posting (e.g this is red)

I like my color in my sig. [IMG]http://ilovecode.com/smilies/yahoo_silent.gif[/IMG]

I see you finally gave it up, though. Why doesn't Dani allow moderators and "special" people to add color to signatures? It's not as if mods will abuse colors.

I did. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.