Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Dani

The entire site of the URL you pointed to revolves around operating systems. Therefore, a specific forum for alternative operating systems is very plausable. However, on DaniWeb, we just cover so much, that we can't possibly have a forum or subforum for everything which exists in the vast world of technology. We create forums as demand about a particular topic grows and the need arises.

I think that the best place for talk of operating system design is within our Computer Science and Engineering forum. You might also wish to post within our Software Developer's Lounge.

Oh, I think I might have misunderstood you. Are you referring to a place for support for users of these alternative operating systems who are not developers, themselves? Again, I think it's really a support as need arises type of situation. If we see very many threads and posts within the Techie's Lounge from people using BeOS, we may create a BeOS as the need arises and there's demand. However, it's sorta silly to create a BeOS forum when only 2 members have ever used the OS, because then it will just sit empty and unused.

Oh, I think I might have misunderstood you. Are you referring to a place for support for users of these alternative operating systems who are not developers, themselves?

Yes, that is pretty much what I was thinking when I posted. I should have said that really. I agree the "Computer Science and...." forum is already a suitable place for issues of OS design. I take your point though, none of these alternative projects are (as the description suggests) anywhere near popular. Talk later then.

Steven.

I'm not necessarily saying that they need to be globally popular for a new forum to be created, or popular in the mainstream in any way. However, there does need to be a noticable amount of interest in the topic WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY. If people start talking about the topic a lot within the Lounges, then it would become evident after awhile to group the existing threads about the topic together into a new forum.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.