I am new to being a webmaster. I've posted very few threads on this forum regarding my Pet Community and Pet Forum looking for help. However, in one of the two or three threads I've started I had not one, but THREE members act totally rude in an uncalled for matter.

So, my question is... now that I've been away for a while and actually have been nervous to post here at all. Is being a newbie to this "stuff" looked down upon here? That is the vibe I've gotten and I would hate to stay away if I just happened to run into a few bad apples.

I'm sorry if this post offends anyone, but it's just been my experience so far. Thanks :)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Can you post links to the specific threads you're talking about?

I had a quick look here and to be fair, DMR (the moderator) did post a warning about not tolerating rudeness in an attempt to prevent the thread getting out of hand.

The best thing to do is always to bring such issues to our attention, and we will always look into it and deal with persistant offenders accordingly. Unfortuntely, despite our best efforts we cannot monitor every thread 24/7 and some bad posts do slip through.

What I can assure you is that we do not tolerate offensive or outright rude postings, this is a help system after all.

A little advice though, would be to make your question as clear as possible to avoid the 'you asked for this, now you want that' type responses.

Hope you will give us a second chance, the vast majoirty of our members are helpful, decent people...

Also, avoid linking to your website in every post you make. It makes us feel like you're just posting to plug your website (you even did it in this thread) and then we're less likely to want to take time to help you.

See here it is again. I was posting the link so people could see the site considering how on of the people posted about "Why would people want to go to your site for technical help when it's a pet site" Have I posted my link in every post I've made so far? No. So I don't get how I'd come off that way.

I had a quick look here and to be fair, DMR (the moderator) did post a warning about not tolerating rudeness in an attempt to prevent the thread getting out of hand.

Yes, the moderator did step in... but nobody seemed to care. I mean THREE people in one thread? Additionally, my question was very clear. I never said that I saw something, as the other rude member said. All I stated was what I wanted, and that I didn't even know if it exsisted. Then the person wants to get into a battle of degree with me... a battle I'd win, but the fact is that I don't have my degree in IT... that is why I'm here, for help.

When I learn, I'd help others too. It just seems as though so many members are rude for people simply being newbies. I don't deserve that and I wouldn't allow people to act that way to newbies on my forums. Granted, this place is much larger and harder to keep track of. I know it's not administrations fault at all... just the general beat of a community.

Just one thing you should know -- There are people, there are good people, there are bad people, its the way how world is made of.

And no its not the general beat of the community, see the forums for other langs and you would know. Some people like to humiliate others and gain a superior feeling...
Please dont be angry or downtrodden. Just keep posting ignoring the "freaks" and if anything get out of hand just click the FLAG BAD POST link at the top of each post so that we know when something wrong is going on.

Keep rockin...dude...

Also, avoid linking to your website in every post you make. It makes us feel like you're just posting to plug your website (you even did it in this thread) and then we're less likely to want to take time to help you.

Additionally, if you're speaking about my signature having my site... I see everyone else with their site in their signatures and I've read the Rules, I thought it was allowed. I've never been to a webmaster forum that didn't allow members to put their site in their signature. I go to another forum (I won't mention out of respect for this site) that is a webmaster community and the beat is completely different.

I guess having a bunch of newbies can be annoying to the experts... but that is how communities are built and how newbies become experts.

Just one thing you should know -- There are people, there are good people, there are bad people, its the way how world is made of.

And no its not the general beat of the community, see the forums for other langs and you would know. Some people like to humiliate others and gain a superior feeling...
Please dont be angry or downtrodden. Just keep posting ignoring the "freaks" and if anything get out of hand just click the FLAG BAD POST link at the top of each post so that we know when something wrong is going on.

Keep rockin...dude...

LOL! Thank you... and you are totally right. But the reason I asked is because another forum I go to, everyone is very helpful and never made me feel stupid for not knowing something. However, I really liked this site and I do find the members here more knowlegable... it's just that people ruin your threads when they act this way. Now I will never find the WYSIWYG webpage editor for my site :sad: It's not like I can restart another thread with the same info!

I dont konw a lot about web development, but is this what you are lookign for:
http://xstandard.com/download.asp?product=lite

Or try to surf this page and see what you can find:
HERE

Hope it helped, and if not dont flame me please like the rest :D

Thanks SOS... I'll check it out now :)

I appreciate your help very much!!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.