"It's alright to keep discussions in their own language forums" are people who I suspect don't even program! I don't think their votes should count

:(

Oh, you're right! I just got a new star recently, didn't I?

I hope the 32 inch widescreen TFT will become standard very soon, so you won't have to worry about stars not being visible... Or you could introduce a different color/shape star for every 10.000 (...) posts.

I didn't think that it was necessary to add a forum for gamedev, but after reading the entire thread I think it might be a good idea. S.o.s. is right when he pointed out that there are many things that could be discussed in such a forum beside pure code.
Only problem is that there are allready a few big gameforums out there...

[little off-topic]
How about a forum for embedded and mobile devices??
[/little off-topic]

Hi Nick,

Well there already is the Gadgets and Gizmos forum within hardware to discuss mobile devices and such. But currently nothing for development on them.

I think that a Gaming Development and a potential Embedded Development forum are good first starts to moving away from the homework questions and more towards the professional industry.

to discuss mobile devices

Yeah I know, but's it more a iPod, Cellphone and ringtone forum.
What I'm interrested in is how to get data from a Can-Bus using an AVR or how to get a 6,4" tftscreen to work on my Samsung arm400.

I think that a Gaming Development and a potential Embedded Development forum are good first starts to moving away from the homework questions and more towards the professional industry.

I agree, but I think there should always be room for 'homework'problems. When those people finish there study they can always be of great help for daniweb :)

take this *TISH* and yea i am a "software engineer"

Whoa...glad I am friends with this girly, already have got a lot of those *TISH* and *BASH*...;)

One of these days Dani, you will find that the web page is not wide enough to accomodate your stars.

*sigh* I should just cosider myself happy since my name is present on the first page of member list when sorted by posts ;)

As far as having a game forum, sure. As for helping, no knowledge.

I know you would rock even there...:cool:

:(

Ah....looks like Joeprogrammer is really desperate to get a gaming forum and so am I...

Hi Nick,

Bingo....happy to see you are getting the point we were trying to prove..:cheesy:

Member Avatar for iamthwee

To make an informed decision, I'm curious why iamthwee is so against the idea? Many other programming forums have game development forums which appear to be successful. We also don't currently have a place to specifically discuss OpenGL and DirectX.

Wait, are you seriously going to create a gaming forum based on ten threads these chumps have plucked from obscurity. Ho ho ho.

Good luck.

Twice so far you said it was a bad idea. I am still waiting to hear your reasoning why. I can't listen if you don't tell :)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Ok I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt. Try it, monitor what kind of traffic you get, etc. Then make your final decision based on that. :)

That really doesn't answer her question, but keep in mind this is game development, not the typical 'Gamer' forum :D

I'll email my non-programmer friends with "smart" questions to ask here if I have to, to keep the forum active! :D

Twice so far you said it was a bad idea. I am still waiting to hear your reasoning why. I can't listen if you don't tell

Maybe because he hates games ?
Maybe because he didnt get to defeat the final villian of Warcraft or didnt get to finish off the final boss of Half Life 2.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Are you noticing something about that poll, guys? All the people who voted for the second option, "It's alright to keep discussions in their own language forums" are people who I suspect don't even program! I don't think their votes should count .

In other words, people who don't agree with you should be ignored (or better yet censored).
Not nice Joe, not nice at all.

One of these days Dani, you will find that the web page is not wide enough to accomodate your stars.

She's probably buit the script to roll over onto the next line before that ;)

Twice so far you said it was a bad idea. I am still waiting to hear your reasoning why. I can't listen if you don't tell

Fragmentation, more work for moderators moving threads to and fro from their to places more relevant (and vv), fragmentation, lack of industry experts to answer (and ask) serious questions that would warrant a special forum (game development professionals have their own places they hang out, this place would be filled with homework questions and kids thinking they can best Unreal Tournament with something written on their own in a few days after a few weeks programming lessons at school), fragmentation, masses of questions not about game development but cheating (and general gameplay) of existing games, fragmentation.

I'm surprised you did not mention fragmentation. :)

I dont think he meant it...looks like he forgot to use a smilie...like me :mrgreen:

She's probably buit the script to roll over onto the next line before that

Naa..the limit is 9 stars..she herself told me so.:D

lack of industry experts to answer (and ask) serious questions that would warrant a special forum

Everything starts out small...no harm in giving it a try, if it fails Miss Dani can always scrap the whole forum if it turns out to be the way you are saying.:twisted:
Without experimentation no one moves ahead...

Naa..the limit is 9 stars..she herself told me so.

For now it is :) Remember she's got the keys to the serverroom :p

For now it is :) Remember she's got the keys to the serverroom :p

Drats..I overlooked that one. It will only take her a second to make the necessary changes. So naive of me. :P

In other words, people who don't agree with you should be ignored (or better yet censored).

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have said that. In any case, I didn't mean it seriously... :cheesy:

I believe it's already been mentioned or hinted at already, but "Game Programming" is not necessarily about programming games, per se. It is about integrating things like graphics (to a large degree), sound, and other stuff into a program. So such things would not belong in many language proper forums. A majority of "gaming" questions are up C++'s alley.

But there are other cases such as something elseweb where a phsyics guy needed help with some sort of simulation. He was referred to the game forum because that is where the best graphics folks had come to hand out. There are things like that to consider as well.

incase you havent noticed, a game development forum has now sprung up

thanks guys

EDIT: SORRY I BOOKMARKED PAGE 1 AND DIDNT NOTICE DANI HAS ALREADY SAID THIS

WOOPS!

That's okay :) We still appreciate the notice.

In response to this thread, I have created a poll asking for supporters of a Game Development forum.

It's something that I find DaniWeb is lacking, it would attract a good crowd of game developers and programmers, and would keep game programming discussions seperate from other forums such as the C/C++ forum.

It would also help newbies to game programming (but not to programming in general) get started, based on their skill and knowledge.

Here are a couple of general programming forums that have a special forum dedicated to game development, for more ideas:

I'm hoping to hear from you all.

Thanks
--joeprogrammer

Yes, we need a game dev forum, most definately.

Which is why we have one :rolleyes:

My concerns ...

Which forum would someone coding a game in C++ post?
Is it wise to create a development forum that is a mixture of all programming languages?
It's better to create a forum only after the community has already expressed interest in wanting to talk about it. Otherwise, it will just remain empty.

Are you really this smart or is it just my imagination ????:D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.