Are there any plans to add a Ruby category? We have some developers using this platform and have questions.

Best Regards,
Rodney

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I think with the continuing growth of Ruby and RoR that this might be a very good idea.

For now, post questions in Software Development:Legacy and Other Languages. If there's enough traffic, I'm sure something can be worked out.

Ok, I will for now.

But here's one vote for a seperate RoR category.

Best Regards,
Rodney

Ok, I will for now.

But here's one vote for a seperate RoR category.

Best Regards,
Rodney

I vote for this also: Ruby\ ROR. This is becoming a vastly growing language. Many sites do not host a forum area for this either. A new Ruby forum may just attract more to this thriving community.

Thanks,
sharky_machine

I vote for this also: Ruby\ ROR. This is becoming a vastly growing language. Many sites do not host a forum area for this either. A new Ruby forum may just attract more to this thriving community.

Thanks,
sharky_machine

But I hope you understand that creating a forum requires atleast a few core members who have atleast some kind of experience in that kind of development..otherwise we end up just collecting threads which go unanswered.

Add my vote to the ROR category as well

Add my vote to the ROR category as well

mine too

As was implied earlier, who's qualified to Mod the new forum? Who knows RoR well enough to give help?

I know Ruby on Rails, but there aren't enough posts right now on DaniWeb about RoR to justify a new forum for it. It is becoming more and more popular each day, but that doesn't mean that every website needs to have a forum about it, IMO. It's not a framework that's as easy to pick up as, say, a language like PHP, which we have a forum for, and we have lots of pretty newbie PHP programmers come here. If there were RoR questions, chances are that those developers would be knowledgeable enough to seek other ways to solve their problems, like mailing lists, IRC, etc. and wouldn't come to DaniWeb, where we don't serve the hardcore programmer as much. Just my 2 cents :)

I know Ruby on Rails, but there aren't enough posts right now on DaniWeb about RoR to justify a new forum for it. It is becoming more and more popular each day, but that doesn't mean that every website needs to have a forum about it, IMO. It's not a framework that's as easy to pick up as, say, a language like PHP, which we have a forum for, and we have lots of pretty newbie PHP programmers come here. If there were RoR questions, chances are that those developers would be knowledgeable enough to seek other ways to solve their problems, like mailing lists, IRC, etc. and wouldn't come to DaniWeb, where we don't serve the hardcore programmer as much. Just my 2 cents

Very nicely put. ROR isn't something kids start dabbling with and come up with a web page which says "Hello world". It works at a much higher level where professionals adopt the framework to deploy enterprise level solutions.....

Very nicely put. ROR isn't something kids start dabbling with and come up with a web page which says "Hello world". It works at a much higher level where professionals adopt the framework to deploy enterprise level solutions.....

While this is true in one sense that there is a little more legwork to write a real application I disagree in the sense that ruby/ rails is a bad choice for beggingers.

While this is true in one sense that there is a little more legwork to write a real application I disagree in the sense that ruby/ rails is a bad choice for beginners.

The number one complaint people have with PHP developers the lack of structured code.
Why? Because it is so easy to do what ever you want using PHP. PHP doesn’t encourage good coding practices, and maintenance becomes a nightmare.

Ruby on the other hand encourages newbies to write clean code, and rewards them with their efforts with code that is more easily maintained and is scalable.

ROR can be installed in about 15 which is on par with PHP and is a huge improvement over setting up a Java stack for the first time which can take days.

Even if the newbie decides Rails isn’t for them what they learned about how an application should be structured isn’t wasted.

I am just an average PHP developer and am very excited about the promise rails holds for web development, and would be more than happy to help moderate a rails forum.

Has there been any more consideration or Moderator discussion towards a seperate RoR forum on Daniweb?

I am very seriously considering a Ruby forum. It just isn't #1 priority right now. But yes.

Very cool :)

Well without further ado I present ...

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum73.html

I really only like to create new forums when I see enough current discussions revolving around the topic to seed it. However, I figured I'd give this one a go after hearing how popular the language is becoming, and that it will be included in Apple's next version of OS X.

Well without further ado I present ...

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum73.html

I really only like to create new forums when I see enough current discussions revolving around the topic to seed it. However, I figured I'd give this one a go after hearing how popular the language is becoming, and that it will be included in Apple's next version of OS X.

Great. :) I am still in a bit of experimental stages with Ruby but I really like it; it is a very eloquent language IMO. I hope to learn more here-- I know I shall. ;)

Thanks,
MattyD

Thanks. Thread moved. I did a site search for threads with the words "ruby" or "ruby on rails" but not for just rails.

Thanks for the addition!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.