I think it was a good idea to censure some posts. But there's a leak in the system, compare these two pages:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/search1919416.html
(first post)

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post286279.html#post286279

Are you taking the ****?

Not a big problem, but I thought I should mension it ;)

Niek

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

piss isnt that bad a word really

as it says in daniwebs rules, most of our posters are teens or adults and so it should be fairly acceptable

piss isnt that bad a word really

as it says in daniwebs rules, most of our posters are teens or adults and so it should be fairly acceptable

depends on how that word is used. "I'm pissed off" is one thing, but "are you taking a piss" is quite another. Of course I realize filters probably can not distinguish the difference; its a judgemental call that only a human can make. If I saw it in one of the forums I monitor I would probably overlook the former but edit out the latter.

depends on how that word is used. "I'm pissed off" is one thing, but "are you taking a piss" is quite another. Of course I realize filters probably can not distinguish the difference; its a judgemental call that only a human can make.

Well, I guess I was wrong -- the filters do indeed work correctly in my above examples :) :)

depends on how that word is used. "I'm pissed off" is one thing, but "are you taking a piss" is quite another. Of course I realize filters probably can not distinguish the difference; its a judgemental call that only a human can make. If I saw it in one of the forums I monitor I would probably overlook the former but edit out the latter.

Yes, I agree with this-- its all in the way it is used\ meant. But, then again, I know people who find words I find socially acceptable in all circles such as "damned" as highly taboo. I try to respect this (while around these particular people) but I do not understand it. It is all very subjective.

It is not only single words or certain phrases in today's society but it extends to whole topics or themes; I guess I should think twice before posting something. I should think at least twice before speaking aloud. This over-thinking, though, often leads to me not posting at all on something or not giving my opinion as it might "offend" someone. So much for having personal views and strong stands on religion, politics, or culture. :sad: What has happened to this world?

Your signature holds great views on Free Speech: speaking"free without indecency". That sounds about right (although, still subjective and wholly undefined in a socially complex planet such as ours)

Regards,
sharky_machine

So much for having personal views and strong stands on religion, politics, or culture.

There are appropriate times and places for discussing those things. For example: www.stltoday.com/forums. But I don't think it is appropriate at any time on DaniWeb because it is for IT related topics, not discussions of hot-topic social/political issues.

There are appropriate times and places for discussing those things. For example: www.stltoday.com/forums. But I don't think it is appropriate at any time on DaniWeb because it is for IT related topics, not discussions of hot-topic social/political issues.

Yes, I suppose you are right ;) .

This whole subjectiveness associated with everyone having their own language standards is what forced us into using a bad words filter instead of allowing each moderator to moderate with personal opinion.

What she said :)

Plus, if a moderator or a member sees language used that they think should be filtered they are always welcome to PM Dani or myself and we will look into it and amend the filter if it is thought appropriate.

This whole subjectiveness associated with everyone having their own language standards is what forced us into using a bad words filter instead of allowing each moderator to moderate with personal opinion.

Oh, I see, that makes sense. But, not to create an argument or anything, it seems whoever decides upon the said filter settings holds the ultimate subjective power of censure do they not? Good thing <Daniweb> has trusted and proven leadership, hence, greater-than-average objective-based standards. Rationality. :)

I know it must be difficult, juggling the "language standards" of 1000's of members from around the world and finding a decent, common ground that most will accept and abide by.

cscgal (and mods)-- you are doing an excellent job with managing this site and I learn a lot from observing your impartial professionalism :cheesy:

Note: I actually support strict language filtering in public formats such as this, although I cringe at the idea of Censorship in any form.

sharky_machine

Believe me, coming up with the banned words list for that filter was not an easy process and involved many late night debates.

I still have the scars :)

Believe me, coming up with the banned words list for that filter was not an easy process and involved many late night debates.

I still have the scars :)

LOL-- funny, that :) ;) . Wish I could've been involved in that process; it probably was very interesting considering the multitude of cultural backgrounds on Daniweb. Take for example the U.K. and the United States: there are many similarities, obviously, considering our historical connections, language, Western culture, etc-- but then, at the same time, there are so many differences between the two that no representative of either country, respectively, would be totally aware of all of the differences. I assume it would be the goal to find the mean set of average language expressions that would be shared globally (at least in English). Good work.

Regards,
sharky_machine

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.