Just my opinion:

The "roll-over" Toshiba ad ("Game Zone") is very annoying AND it displays itself on its own :evil: .

I do not mind static ads, and the truth is, most heavy-users of the Internet are completely immune to their presence, hence (from what I have read lately), Internet advertising (as in ads, pop-ups, etc) is non-profitable and in some cases creates financial deficits in companies whose whole advertsing budget is used in this manner.

Simply, though, this particular Toshiba ad affects the Daniweb experience to a small degree.

Thanks,
sharky_machine

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Unfortunately, it's the static ads which don't produce any revenue, but the Flash-based ads and interactive ads which make up roughly half of our revenue (with the other half being Google AdSense, IntelliTXT, and link sponsors). Because advertising campaigns are either prepaid for or through advertising agencies (which I have contracts with), it is often not feasable or even possible to just pull a particular ad from the rotation. Such is the case with this particular Toshiba ad.

With that said ... anything that plays sound is rogue. Anything that flashes "win a free ipod" (or just flashes warnings, in general) is rogue. Anything that automatically pops up or flys in without user intervention is rogue.

If a particular ad falls under one of the above categories, it has been misfiled by an ad server. Otherwise, unfortunately all I can say is to wait it out until the particular campaign ends.

I agree with sharky - static ads are bearable, but interactive ones actually make it hard to view the page. That's why I dislike IntelliTXT ads. But I understand that this is needed to keep DaniWeb alive.

most heavy-users of the Internet are completely immune to their presence

Heh, I'm definitely not immune to Internet ads. I hate them. Fortunately I have Firefox, here's how DaniWeb looks when AdBlock and Filterset.G plugins are running. Neat, eh?

I had given the A-OK to ads like the Toshiba campaign because they require you to mouseover them to expand. However, I didn't realize that they don't automatically collapse when you move the mouse off of them. I will try to avoid such creatives (as they're called) in the future.

I agree with sharky - static ads are bearable, but interactive ones actually make it hard to view the page. That's why I dislike IntelliTXT ads.

Already *too* much debate on this has happened at numerous places in Daniweb, many things happened, many bonds severed. Best this thing is not brought up again.....

Fortunately I have Firefox, here's how DaniWeb looks when AdBlock and Filterset.G plugins are running. Neat, eh?

So very much they way I see Daniweb ;)

Already *too* much debate on this has happened at numerous places in Daniweb, many things happened, many bonds severed. Best this thing is not brought up again.....

So very much they way I see Daniweb ;)

There should be no "bonds severed" over this, it's a technical matter. I was only reporting an ad that seems to work incorrectly: when I am on the opposite side of the screen (screen left) it opened on its own sometimes. Did not think it was supposed to do that.

Maybe you missed to see at whom the content was aimed at...

That's why I dislike IntelliTXT ads.

There should be no "bonds severed" over this, it's a technical matter. I was only reporting an ad that seems to work incorrectly: when I am on the opposite side of the screen (screen left) it opened on its own sometimes. Did not think it was supposed to do that.

It's not supposed to. That's rogue. Will talk to the ad agency dealing out that ad.

Fortunately I have Firefox, here's how DaniWeb looks when AdBlock and Filterset.G plugins are running. Neat, eh?

I couldn't live without it.

Definition of Live - To take part in fun and effective discussion and other activities on the internet ;)

Maybe you missed to see at whom the content was aimed at...

That's why I dislike IntelliTXT ads.

I didn't want it to turn into one of "those" threads, so that's why I added that last sentance:

But I understand that this is needed to keep DaniWeb alive.

I didn't mean for it to get taken the wrong way; sorry.

Hello there.

I didn't mean for it to get taken the wrong way; sorry.

Ah..don't take it the wrong way Mr. Joe, I didn't mean to shoot you down or something like that, just discourage any further discussion on the topic. If know from forum interactions that you for one wouldn't start anything remote to a flame war or a debate. You are one of the core and responsible members of Daniweb, so I thought you would understand my comment.

Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.