i like the intellitiext as i think it would either have to be that or full page ads, no? - and i dont think anyone would want that

Yes I agree. But I don't think they want a debate to take place.

the same debate took place when daniweb first started having the google ads and the small flash type ads at the top and bottom

The point being that the last time IntelliTXT was debated in an open forum, it ended up turning into a discussion on how to remove ads from DaniWeb altogether as well as becoming a rather cyclical argument of the 'I'm right you are wrong' variety as is often the case with such things that tend to polarize opinion.

So it's not that I, or anyone else, is against debate on this issue but rather don't want to this thread turning into another pointless argument over the subject to be honest.

Not least because the business decision has been taken at a management level, and that's where it has to remain for the long term benefit of DaniWeb. If things change, if the business model changes, if it becomes apparent that DaniWeb would be better off without IntelliTXT then the decision to remove it will also be taken at a management level and on pure business strategy grounds.

If you see what I mean.

IntelliTXT hasn't replaced any of the other forms of advertising Daniweb currently uses. So claiming "it's better than other types of ads" isn't particularly relevant.

What the "debate" over IntelliTXT reinforced, to me, was the profound change in tone and style here. The friendly Daniweb I knew and loved would never make "management" decisions that would cause valued moderators to leave. It would never make a decision that would dramatically lessen the quality of responses in the programming sections. The old Daniweb valued posts for their quality of response, professionalism or knowledge, moreso than the revenue they could bring.

The old Daniweb would never reverse a decision that was already made based on thorough discussion, or retract concessions which were made in the spirit of cooperation and balance.

So while I'll honor the request not to re-hash my objections to IntelliTXT, which are by no means unique, the whole story isn't being told. Daniweb has lost a great deal, I think, with recent "management" decisions - more than just "some mods" who've left for so-called "personal" reasons. When I stopped being treated like a respected moderator who did much to build up the Web Development sections, and started being treated like a number on a balance sheet, it was time to step down.

<sigh>

i think we should stop whinging as the ads are here to stay as without it daniweb would cost money to join which i dont think would be a good thing as many members would be put off. we should just be grateful that the ads are fairly unobtrusive and remember that most of danieb was handmade by dani and she puts a lot of effort into keeping it open for the community

commented: thanks for the IntelliTXT support +10

i think we should stop whinging as the ads are here to stay as without it daniweb would cost money to join which i dont think would be a good thing as many members would be put off. we should just be grateful that the ads are fairly unobtrusive and remember that most of danieb was handmade by dani and she puts a lot of effort into keeping it open for the community

I don't think you should use the word whining to describe what actually is someone's opinion, especially if that someone is the one who has put in a great amount of effort along with Miss Dani in making Daniweb what it is today.

Even Miss Dani would agree that this site is a joint effort of all the people who have contributed to it in a valueable way, so its only natural for them to express their feelings strongly about it even if it means straying away from the herd.

I really wish someone would close this thread...:-|

maybe it is best if we close it

IntelliTXT hasn't replaced any of the other forms of advertising Daniweb currently uses. So claiming "it's better than other types of ads" isn't particularly relevant.

I meant that it is better than having large flash ads all over the site and popups and overlay ads. IntelliTXT is fine compared to those.

What the "debate" over IntelliTXT reinforced, to me, was the profound change in tone and style here. The friendly Daniweb I knew and loved would never make "management" decisions that would cause valued moderators to leave.

You must remember that this site has grown hugely over the past year so of course it is going to change. If a site doesn't have a business objective then there would be no way that a site that gets this many visitors could cover bandwidth costs. The other thing is that it is paying dani's wage and I think she deserves to live of the masterpiece that she has made for us. Without her working on it full time and just working on it as a hobby I think the experience would differ greatly.

It would never make a decision that would dramatically lessen the quality of responses in the programming sections. The old Daniweb valued posts for their quality of response, professionalism or knowledge, moreso than the revenue they could bring.

Members, management and moderators of the site still take each post seriously for it's content and professionalism. If it was just about getting hits and getting money from ads then you would see things like ad robots posting and other obstructive ads.

Daniweb has lost a great deal, I think, with recent "management" decisions - more than just "some mods" who've left for so-called "personal" reasons. When I stopped being treated like a respected moderator who did much to build up the Web Development sections, and started being treated like a number on a balance sheet, it was time to step down.

I doubt you were ever treated without the up most respect. I think that in order to keep this community as it is the right decisions have been made. I really don't think you should be bad mouthing such a well run community, just look at other forums and you can see how the quality of experience differs: posts are shorter and less professional, moderators just delete and edit posts and ban members, people posts aren't read and pointless posts are then made because of that. I think the reason daniweb is what it is isn't just because it has some extremely ingenious members but it is because all of the members respect each other and most importantly because the admin/moderators/management treat all of the members of the forum with respect and value all posts that are posted on the forums.

Of course that is just my opinion but I think what I have said is very much the back bone of daniweb and without it, it would fall and because this "back bone" is strong it will not fall. simple as that...

commented: Thanks for the support, well said +10

And to get the thread back on track:

Looks like the mail server has blown up again, apologies if you are getting multiple new forum message alerts and the like, Dani will be on the case and banging it with a large hammer as soon as possible...

Dani will be on the case and banging it with a large hammer as soon as possible...

So soon to come in the "Troubleshooting dead machines forum":

"I have a mailserver and it worked fine. But one day it wouldn't mail so I tried ad-aware, spybot and a large hammer and now it won't work... plllzzz help! --Dani"

Niek

i hate it when noobs make threads like:

"plz help me"

1 day my xp didnt start working and now i have a college paper for next day

thank you in advances

grr... theese annoy me i always remind them that threads entitled "plz help" usually just get ignored

LOL. I suppose they must be a bit flustered if they have a essay in for the next day. Help them and maybe they will help you in some way in the future ;)

I guess we should not forget that even n00bs are entitled a fair chance so that they don't remain like that their entire life.
Helping people who are in trouble is what makes a community a good community.

And btw, what goes around always comes around.....

And btw, what goes around always comes around.....

... especially hubcaps. And they make a kool noise, toooo. rouwr, rouwr, rouwr, rouwr, rouwr...

Erm, hit me on the head with that hammer chaps - looks like the mail server is fine, just a combination of a confused new member and a sudden arrival of backlog messages in my mailbox.

Can I say doh in here :)

... especially hubcaps. And they make a kool noise, toooo. rouwr, rouwr, rouwr, rouwr, rouwr...

Maybe I should have been more explicit, but even this is good, made me laugh...:cheesy:

Maybe I should have been more explicit, but even this is good, made me laugh...:cheesy:

Then my message was successful!!!

And I notice that your Einstein has changed your opinion about Daniweb....first it was "Daniweb rocks" and now it is "Daniweb is more fun than Physics". Hope even I am a part of that opinion. ;)

Cool stuff. (I would really like to know how you achieved this...)

And I notice that your Einstein has changed your opinion about Daniweb....first it was "Daniweb rocks" and now it is "Daniweb is more fun than Physics". Hope even I am a part of that opinion. ;)

Cool stuff. (I would really like to know how you achieved this...)

I thought he did it by inputting text to a website which generated the image... he did post the link a while back, but I've forgotten it by now.

I thought he did it by inputting text to a website which generated the image... he did post the link a while back, but I've forgotten it by now.

It starts that way, but the words come out too small. So I import a blank Einstein into Paint Shop Pro and create a layer with just Einstein. Then
1) back to the website (http://www.hetemeel.com/index.php)
2) enter the text I want,
3) grab the text only
4) add it as a layer between the whole picture and the Einstein layer
5) resize and reposition the lettering so it looks good
6) save it
7) crop the image
8) upload it

The only reason I use that site now is I like the looks of the text. If I can find a couple good looking handwritten fonts I could use, I could do it all by myself. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.