I didnt mean to say that everything up to XP was 16 bit. What I meant to say was that NT 3.51 was the first 32 bit windows. Sorry if my statement confused you.

By the way, is 2k still supported?
may upgrade some of my NT4 boxes to it.....,

I don't think I explained myself well so I just want to clarify. I do not mean to say that we're going the route of less targeted banner advertising. Simply that we first always try to sell as much targeted advertising as possible, but fill the rest of the vast amount of inventory with more run-of-site (ROS) type campaigns. Because it is the beginning of a new year, this just seems to be a little more prominent right now. It was the same way last year. Some months will simply be better than others as far as the business side of things is concerned, as with any business.

I didnt mean to say that everything up to XP was 16 bit. What I meant to say was that NT 3.51 was the first 32 bit windows

Gotcha :) Yeah, I thought you were saying that XP was the first 32 bit OS and I was like "huh"?

i dont mind the ads myself. im just glad that daniweb remains open

As I mentioned, I really think all of this hooplah lately is related to some advertising agency foe pas where rogue ads are slipping through the cracks when they shouldn't be. We've had the exact same advertising placements for years and years now.

That's my feeling to be honest, a few rogue ads have slipped through and being of the in your face variety made themselves very noticed.

Unfortunate, yes. End of DaniWeb as we know it, no. :)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Unfortunate, yes. End of DaniWeb as we know it, no

Will Dani ever sell daniweb?

maybe the source. i doubt shed sell the site

I am not clairvoyant.

Are you bidding for that? :p

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Are you bidding for that? :p

No I was just asking a polite question out of curiousity. :cry:

:cry:

But I don't see any reason to cry for that... ;)

Ahh, but crying occasionally is good for health...

but curiosity killed the cat....

Touch eyeballs to screen for cheap laser surgery

:D

PS: I guess we all are experts at dragging the thread off topic.. :D

:)

Of course -- for the right price. Bill Gates would probably sell Microsoft too if the price was right. Shoot -- I would even sell my mother-in-law for $$$ if you want her :mrgreen:

No I was just asking a polite question out of curiousity. :cry:

Mine was a polite, and honest, reply. Didn't mean it to sound otherwise.

I have no idea what Dani might do with DaniWeb in the future, I doubt if Dani knows what she will do in the future - it's an impossible question to answer with any real value.

well daniweb is kinda good for her

1) its her own buisness
2) she has hands on experience of hosting an online community

PS: I guess we all are experts at dragging the thread off topic.. :D

I like it better this way:
"I guess we experts are all dragging the thread off topic"

:D

Anyway, I don't like the idea of Dani selling DaniWeb - for one thing, the name would lose its relevance, and secondly a business is always better in the hands of its founder. What will Microsoft, Linux and Apple be like when Bill Gates, Linus Torvalds and Steve Jobs retire? (Granted, Bill Gates isn't CEO anymore, but still...)

Of course -- for the right price. Bill Gates would probably sell Microsoft too if the price was right. Shoot -- I would even sell my mother-in-law for $$$ if you want her :mrgreen:

I don't think he would. I thinkl he loves to drive people crazy when their stuff doesn't work anymore because he changed Windows again.

I don't mind an ad on the screen. I do mind ads which do the following:

- Drive you crazy with flashing, motion, or jittering.
- Won't let you leave the page.
- Won't let the rest of the page load until you read the entire ad sequence once.
- Change the position of the screen scrolling to bring the ad back into view.
- Keep the browser downloading more ads (some people still have to pay for the amount of web traffic, or lose their connection after so much traffic has passed).
- Change the display of another page by changing the available screen size.

I wish that the ad people would realize that the people they annoy WON'T WANT TO BUY THE PRODUCT.

- Won't let the rest of the page load until you read the entire ad sequence once.
- Keep the browser downloading more ads (some people still have to pay for the amount of web traffic, or lose their connection after so much traffic has passed).

I wish that the ad people would realize that the people they annoy WON'T WANT TO BUY THE PRODUCT.

I agree -- in fact I make it a point to NEVER visit that site again. Put it on my blacklist. I have never ever see that sort of advertising on DaniWeb.

I agree -- in fact I make it a point to NEVER visit that site again. Put it on my blacklist. I have never ever see that sort of advertising on DaniWeb.

Except that for me, that's kinda what I was talking about in [thread=48210]this thread[/thread]. And it still goes on for me. And it is still annoying to me. It even made posting this reply a bit difficult for me.

Dave, are you using the latest version of your web browser? It has to be something on YOUR END that is telling your web browser that once all of the elements on the page have finished loading (including the occassional slow-loading ad) to scroll back up to the top of the page. I don't experience this in IE or Firefox or Safari.

actually, that happens on my pda - maybe its a bug in older versions of IE?

Dave, are you using the latest version of your web browser? It has to be something on YOUR END that is telling your web browser that once all of the elements on the page have finished loading (including the occassional slow-loading ad) to scroll back up to the top of the page. I don't experience this in IE or Firefox or Safari.

I dunno. FF 2.0.0.1.

My computer sucks, but I ain't ditchin' it.

It happens occasionally for me too, but its not limited to DaniWeb, I've seen it elsewhere also and assumed its just the way the internet works some times.

It happens occasionally for me too, but its not limited to DaniWeb, I've seen it elsewhere also and assumed its just the way the internet works some times.

Perhaps. For me it has long been noticeably different here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.