I can't read the first few lines of what I am posting, because there is already text in the background in the posting window. So I have to put the text down here to read it. Is there any way to get rid of this?

I also wish webmasters would realize that some people can't read their text if there is an image behind it.

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

Might be the settings on your computer. On my computer that text is very light grey letters, somewhat difficult to see. But I can understand how some people with sight problems might find it hard to distinguish between the light grey text and normal text.

I believe he's referring to the watermark in the editor .

I believe he's referring to the watermark in the editor .

I was too, but just didn't explain it very well. Its not a problem for me and I only have "good" eyesight. I don't recall anyone else complaining about watermarks.

i dont see any watermark - what watermark?

i dont see any watermark - what watermark?

I asked the same question a few months ago. If you go to the c++ board (or any of the other software development boards) and look at the "quick reply" edit box you will see some text in light grey color. That's a watermark.

I asked the same question a few months ago. If you go to the c++ board (or any of the other software development boards) and look at the "quick reply" edit box you will see some text in light grey color. That's a watermark.

Evidently not very many newbies see it either, the anouncement, or see the "Rules" link at the top of the page. It's actually fairly easy to see if you have good eyesight and a good monitor.

Regarding the original question: could you post us a screenshot of how it looks? (Just curious.) I still don't know your browser and its version, which is a large determining factor. My bet is that it's something on your end, as I never have these problems (although I'm on a Mac, so that could make a difference).

How do I post a screenshot without a url? I don't have much memory or download bandwidth left on my website, and doing this would kill both off.

You can see it in the "HTML" forum under "web development". It doesn't happen in this forum, so I would like the other pages to be like this one.

I have always had this trouble with text printed over a photo. It's not an eye problem, but a visual processing problem.

My visual cortex has always treated text printed over an image as being similar to looking outside through a window screen. It removes the text or the window screen and reconstructs the image behind. I hate magazines and websites which get cute by putting text on top of an image. I have to use a piece of paper with a slot cut in it to read the text of several magazines I have.

i got ie7 and have no watermark at all on this thread

i got ie7 and have no watermark at all on this thread

It only appears on one of the development boards, like c++ or Java. I can't tell from the image you posted which board you were at the time you took that screenshot.

it was of this thread

EDIT: Oh, i know what ones you mean, you mean the ones that tell you to use code tags

EDIT: Oh, i know what ones you mean, you mean the ones that tell you to use code tags

Yup. That's it.:!:

obviously doesnt do the trick :) i never use code tags......

obviously doesnt do the trick :) i never use code tags......

Do you ever post code ? If not then I can see why you have no use for code tags. If you do -- then all I can say is shame on you :rolleyes:

commented: ; +2

i do post code

(vb mainly or linux commands)

It's alright for 1 or 2 lines of code to be posted without code tags. Although nice, it's so little to read that it's not really a problem.

When you start posting larger snippets, say more than about 5 or 10 lines, you should definitely use code tags. And that's basically a rule here; moderators will edit people's posts and add in the code tags because it's so important.

And using a PDA isn't any excuse for lazy posts - take the time to make them look good, and you will look professional.

:( im sorry

:( im sorry

No problem, buddy. :) But I'm sure there's always an increased chance of repuation if someone sees not only a helpful post, but a well-written one... ;)

Aha..now I know your motivation behind good looking posts, Joey. :D

Aha..now I know your motivation behind good looking posts, Joey. :D

No - that's not the main reason I take the time to make my posts look good. The reason is that I simply can't stand uncapitalized letters beginning a sentance, missing comas, etc.. It makes it too hard to read and understand for other people.

So although I might save my own time by making a sloppy post, I would be wasting other people's time when they try to read my posts. And I wouldn't want to do that, would I?

No - that's not the main reason I take the time to make my posts look good. The reason is that I simply can't stand uncapitalized letters beginning a sentance, missing comas, etc.. It makes it too hard to read and understand for other people.

So although I might save my own time by making a sloppy post, I would be wasting other people's time when they try to read my posts. And I wouldn't want to do that, would I?

Come on Joey, it was a joke. We all try to write good looking, properly formatted posts so that one has no trouble reading it considering the audience of Daniweb is a global one. I apologize if you felt bad about it...

Come on Joey, it was a joke. We all try to write good looking, properly formatted posts so that one has no trouble reading it considering the audience of Daniweb is a global one. I apologize if you felt bad about it...

I understood (at least partially) the joke, even if I didn't use emoticons. But aside from the joking, I also felt it to be a perfect opportunity to share my opinions. ;)

Can we get back to my problem?

It would be nice if the watermark were removed and the message placed above the posting window. It is extremely annoying to have to put blank lines in, and then remove them later.

It appears you are the only one complaining about them, I have not seen any complaints from anyone else. Is your video card really ancient and supports only 64 colors so that your monitor does not support different shades of grey?

The reason is that I simply can't stand uncapitalized letters beginning a sentance, missing comas, etc.. It makes it too hard to read and understand for other people.

I personally find it difficult writing a sloppy post. Most of the capitalization gets typed without any effort and writing a sloppy post takes more effort. :p

Besides what you mentioned, I can't stand chat lingo on forums like:
Cud u plzzzzzz hlp me? :mad: They are worse than missing capitalization and commas, plain irritating in my opinion.

I also had to get used to the 'dirty' background, but I did get used to it. Even so, I have a possible solution....

Have a setting on the Options page to use a clear background. Explain the option only enough to know where it happens, not exactly what happens.

Benefits:
1) Knowlegable members can turn it off. If you are new, you won't know about the setting.
2) If a member finds the setting they will not know what it means. The member will most likely go to a forum and see what the option is about and probably actually read it. Then go back and turn it off.
3) Most members will never even enter the options page, so they won't turn it off

Problems:
1) Some savvy new forumers will go directly to the options and even without knowing what it is may turn it off. But they will probably know what code tags are, and if not there will probably be few who do this.

It appears you are the only one complaining about them, I have not seen any complaints from anyone else. Is your video card really ancient and supports only 64 colors so that your monitor does not support different shades of grey?

No, I have a fully functional Dell computer with the resolution set to the highest color rendering setting..

Like I said earlier, I have the same trouble when magazines put backgrounds behind their text. It is a visual processing problem. It is annoying, because I can't read text that others can read. It seems to be the way my brain is wired.

I have always had this problem, but it wasn't a real problem until recently, when too many people started getting cute with backgrounds behind their text. Today's newspaper had an article I couldn't read the first three paragraphs of without masking it with note cards.

I also have trouble with watermarks on printed pages of text. I have to copy the text to the clipboard, and then paste it into Notepad before I print it.

yeah it is annoying. my friend is dyslexic and he always gets me to come over and read out those capchas (you know, the wierd text you have to enter to say you are not a machine)

yeah it is annoying. my friend is dyslexic and he always gets me to come over and read out those capchas (you know, the wierd text you have to enter to say you are not a machine)

I hope he lives close :mrgreen:

3 doors away :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.