Hi,

I have been a Daniweb memeber for the last 3-4 months. I am now learning C++ on Linux on my own using the tutorials available on this very good site. But I always struggle a bit and sometimes a lot when I am looking for C++ related threads and discussions/code etc. Can we have a dedicated section for C++ discussions instead of having C and C++ together under the category Software Development. If not then, can we just request the members who want to post a language specific question (C or C++) to make the title of the new thread/question by following the below given simple rules in order to help all of us here.

Name of the language C or C++ in capital letters, followed by a ' :' and then the actual question starts. Something like this,

C++ : How to declare this variable?

OR

C : How to use this method?

Hope I am not trying to discredit the hardwork of the forum admins or site designers. This is just a polite request with the best possible intentions. Please let me know if this is a sensible request. Cheers.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hi,
Can we have a dedicated section for C++ discussions instead of having C and C++ together under the category Software Development.

I don't think this is a good idea. The C/C++ forum is visited by a lot of newbies which don't have a clue that there's a difference between C and C++. So what you'll get is a lot of extra work for the moderators and a lot of 'moved to the [...]forum' posts.

Name of the language C or C++ in capital letters, followed by a ' :' and then the actual question starts. Something like this,

In a perfect world this would be a excellent suggestion. But making such a rule has a few problems.
When posting code in de C forum, everyone should use code tags. Now I don't know the exact stats, but I would say that 75% of the newbie posters ignore this rule.
This would become a simulair problem with your suggestion.

regards Niek

I have been a Daniweb memeber for the last 3-4 months. I am now learning C++ on Linux on my own using the tutorials available on this very good site. But I always struggle a bit and sometimes a lot when I am looking for C++ related threads and discussions/code etc. Can we have a dedicated section for C++ discussions instead of having C and C++ together under the category Software Development.

Not a bad idea. Splitting has worked on other forums I deal with.

If not then, can we just request the members who want to post a language specific question (C or C++) to make the title of the new thread/question by following the below given simple rules in order to help all of us here.

We have a rule that states "Do not post threads with generic subjects such as "HELP ME" or "PROBLEM". Instead, clearly state a phrase describing the problem as the thread's title.". And we still get titles like

• Help in deciding...(bear in mind that i am new to c/c++)
  • Need help with an assignment that is due tomorrow plzzzz
  • Another doubt.
  • C++ Builder.
  • struct output Help

so I doubt this is a reasonable request. ;)

Hello.

I don't think this is a good idea. The C/C++ forum is visited by a lot of newbies which don't have a clue that there's a difference between C and C++. So what you'll get is a lot of extra work for the moderators and a lot of 'moved to the [...]forum' posts.

Yes, considering 90% of people frequenting C / C++ forums come for a quick fix, I don't think they would even bother seeing where they are posting -- not to post most of them don't even know whether they are dealing with C or C++.

Now I don't know the exact stats, but I would say that 75% of the newbie posters ignore this rule.

Aren't you being a bit optimistic....I would say um.. 95% don't use code tags properly.

Not a bad idea. Splitting has worked on other forums I deal with.

I wonder who would agree to do this ardous task.... ;) But seriously there are two options:

• Either start seperating the threads in the forums into catergories i.e. C or C++, which I guess is really time consuming
  • Mark all the current threads as that belonging to C++ and create a new C forum.

Thank you.

Not to mention some newbies start mixing together C and C++, which would only make a moderator's duty even harder... :D

Not to mention some newbies start mixing together C and C++, which would only make a moderator's duty even harder... :D

I sometimes do that myself, and I've been programming for 20 years:eek: There are some c++ constructs that I just do not like, so I toss C functions into the mix. I'll use efficient fprintf() when I need fairly complex formatting because c++ streams are difficult, cumbersome and obnoxious.

I sometimes do that myself, and I've been programming for 20 years:eek: There are some c++ constructs that I just do not like, so I toss C functions into the mix. I'll use efficient fprintf() when I need fairly complex formatting because c++ streams are difficult, cumbersome and obnoxious.

Yes, it's amazing that C++ streams which were supposed to be so much easier to use than the old C functions still leave a lot to be left wanting. Seems that the old pattern method of printing hasn't gone dead yet. :D

I think the key is to know actually why you're mixing C and C++ functions, and to be experienced enough to know the pitfalls of using them together. Of course, being a software engineer, this is probably not in the least a problem for you.

This topic was discussed not too long back on the mod board, I believe. Y'all might want to look it up before rehashing too much -- that is, if it already hasn't been mentioned or reincarnated there.

This topic was discussed not too long back on the mod board, I believe. Y'all might want to look it up

Us 'normal people' can't really look in the mod-board :P (I seem to be missing a badge for that)

If this was a poll I would vote against, sorry bout that tech291083.

Niek

Us 'normal people' can't really look in the mod-board :P (I seem to be missing a badge for that)

Uh, sorry. I can't find it myself; I've lost my super-powers. I remember contriubting to the thread, is all.

So is the consensus to keep C and C++ together for now?

Uh, sorry. I can't find it myself; I've lost my super-powers.

Kryptonite sux doesn't it?:)
But your shiny orange name got me misleaded...

Yes please

Niek

Yes, I think it should remain as it is. I haven't seen anyone confused with this.

Splitting it off would be a good idea -- C and C++ are not the *same* languages, a misconception harbored by many.

But then again, the previous discussion in the Moderators section was not fruitful since the danger of C forum starving always loomed, a thing which probably isn't the case at present considering the kind of traffic on Daniweb.

Hi,

Thanks a lot guys, I am ok with the undivided state of the thread in question, but would like to take this opportunity to thank all the moderators and administrators not to forget the members of this wonderful site who have responded with quite a degree of transparency and openmindedness. I fell very proud to be a member of this community. Cheers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.