Upon replying to a thread in Geek's Lounge I keep getting this message:

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters."

Even when I add one character it will still not submit, giving me this same message again. I have never seen this before. What is it?

Matty D

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

It's a new one on me, but having said that Dani is in the process of tweaking a lot of the back-end code at the moment so it might be something thrown up by that.

Over to Dani on this one methinks.

[Deleted]

I thought there was once a 10-character minimum, quoted material not included.

Other sites have 3 or 4 I think.

It would make sense, if to prevent the 'me too' posts apart from anything else. Of course, being a gobby type I have never encountered such a thing :)

commented: ALWAYS very helpful and efficient :) +2

Thanks for the reply guys. It keeps happening with replies at times. I Just wanted to report it for <Daniweb> tech purposes so it can be looked into. No big thing. Probably just be a bug or something. ;)

Regards,
Matty D.

It's possible you are set for a character-coding setting that sends character codes the site does not understand.

This site uses UTF-8, if that means anything. I believe there is just a one character minimum per post.

!

Thanks for the replies.

It has not been happening lately. It was an anomaly of sorts I suppose (bug?). It was not as if I was entering one, single character in reply to a post such as "A" or "3" for example. Even if this was the case, there should be no reasonable explanation to why this would be illegal.

Also, as far as I know, I would not be using any special characters via my input, unless perhaps Daniweb's system considers "_" or "space" to be a special character and illegal as some sites do.

Matty

Upon replying to a thread in Geek's Lounge I keep getting this message:

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters."

Even when I add one character it will still not submit, giving me this same message again. I have never seen this before. What is it?

Matty D

It appears <Daniweb> is up to its old tricks again :lol::lol:-- but, really, it's annoying. Please see screenshots below taken in Geek's Lounge when attempting to reply to a post:

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/reranger/1char.jpg[/IMG]

&&

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/reranger/scrn2.jpg[/IMG]

This is normal behaviour. It is required to enter at least one character. However, you're trying to submit a post which is exclusively a quote of an existing post. You must enter at least one character unique to your post.

This is normal behaviour. It is required to enter at least one character. However, you're trying to submit a post which is exclusively a quote of an existing post. You must enter at least one character unique to your post.

In this particular case, the word game simply requires changing a word; I do this all the time via a quoted reply: In this case the unique character was contained in the unique word "SHORT".

1. quote previous post
  2. change chosen word
  3. submit reply

I'm a bit confused with this at this point. Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere. :confused:

Thanks for your reply and help on this, Dani. ;)

MattyD

The system doesn't evaluate the quote to see whether it was changed from a previous post. It simply discounts everything within quote tags from being a part of the one character minimum.

The system doesn't evaluate the quote to see whether it was changed from a previous post. It simply discounts everything within quote tags from being a part of the one character minimum.

So, if you just type something up here, it doesn't work.

In other words, you have to type something down here for it to work, not up there.

Yup. You have to type something outside of what you're quoting others as saying.

Yup. You have to type something outside of what you're quoting others as saying.

Yes, I believe this could have been the problem. I am quite daft sometimes. :sad: ;)

I'm sorry, Dani, for the false alarm.

MattyD

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.