It wasn't code.

Dani, I've been asking for over a year or so (at least so it seems) -- can you please stop ruining my posts?

Here's my 2 cents. I like the new lay-out but:

Not so fast..... (there has to be a villian in the movie you know...)

That's right and here I am. I like the old color-scheme a lot better. Why do all tech-relative websites have to be in grey and/or blue? I liked Daniweb for it's -different- colorscheme (the purple-yellow-peachy-blue one). It gave the site a positive feeling which is a good thing for a Community-website.
With the new colors (grey and grey) daniweb reminds me of my grey desk, my grey office, my grey monitor and (I'm living in Holland) the grey sky outside.
But I think I'll survive, atleast the purple is still here..

The rest of the lay-out changes are excellent: bravo!

Niek

[edit]
Did the lay-out changes make the site load faster or is it my imagination?
[/edit]

That's right and here I am. I like the old color-scheme a lot better. Why do all tech-relative websites have to be in grey and/or blue? I liked Daniweb for it's -different- colorscheme (the purple-yellow-peachy-blue one). It gave the site a positive feeling which is a good thing for a Community-website.
With the new colors (grey and grey) daniweb reminds me of my grey desk, my grey office, my grey monitor and (I'm living in Holland) the grey sky outside.

Niek

[edit]
Did the lay-out changes make the site load faster or is it my imagination?
[/edit]

I like grey. I love grey! I only like grey skies, rain-- I wished I lived in Holland. :sad: (I have been to Holland and, actually, it was quite sunny the whole time.:confused:)

Anyway... I like grey\white or blue\white or grey\blue and-- I prefer cooler colors. Yet, I really do like the orange-yellow. It looks quite nice to my eyes. The "purple"? Undecided. That is a hard color to work with. I would suggest a nice, deep Aqua instead. Yes, more blue. :p:lol:

In any case, I like seeing what Dani is doing, taking the time to make adjustments and I am also happy to see how so many of us can talk about it, debate it, and share our views. That's positive and shows the depth of the members on Daniweb.

Regards,
Matty D

Regarding color changes, threads used to look like this:

www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/getdaily.html

And now threads look like this:

www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum8.html

Which do yo like better? I think the grey makes the bright yellow less overwhelming so you're more apt to spend more time studying the page. But I do like the yellow too ... which is why I'm so undecided that I'm keeping the old color scheme on the search pages and such until I make up my mind.

I would be undecided too... I like both... :) but if forced to choose I would go with the grey additions. As u say, it sorta tones down the yellow a bit :cheesy:

Niek

I liked the colours, too when I first joined... it did feel different. So that's why I'm undecided if you should keep the changes or discard them (in terms of the colour scheme). I like the homepage reorganization, that's for sure!

It's a close call between the color schemes, but if I had to make a decision then I would probably go with the calming new grey profile I think.

To be honest, I'm really confused why you guys are making a fuss about us having a whole new color scheme. The ONLY color change at all was the listing of forum threads. :)

To be honest, I'm really confused why you guys are making a fuss about us having a whole new color scheme. The ONLY color change at all was the listing of forum threads. :)

Techies like to debate things into the ground, regardless of how trivial they are. ;) You should hear some of the conversations I have with my coworkers. :lol:

After the entire day's work, we need to do something. This is something, so we must do this....

Btw, you ask for suggestions, we give them, then you say we make a fuss...strange.

Techies like to debate things into the ground, regardless of how trivial they are. ;) You should hear some of the conversations I have with my coworkers. :lol:

Yes, how true. :)

After the entire day's work, we need to do something. This is something, so we must do this....

Btw, you ask for suggestions, we give them, then you say we make a fuss...strange.

I guess I worded myself wrong. What I meant was you guys are saying that the entire color scheme of the site seems to have changed when it's really just one page.

Color changes: trivial.

Concerns about how layout changes affect technical blogs/snippets/posts: not trivial.

Me = Still waiting to hear how layout changes affect blogs / snippets / posts.

I guess I worded myself wrong. What I meant was you guys are saying that the entire color scheme of the site seems to have changed when it's really just one page.

I have been really just commenting on the colors in general, something I see everyday and think about often. The site is (becoming) quite dynamic visually.:) Visual appeal may not precedence but it is in no way "trivial" :confused: as stated in a previous thread above.

Personally, I choose sites often based on colors, then layout-- content is always the most important factor, of course, and Daniweb posseses all three of these considerations.

I applaud what you are doing no matter my personal preferences, honestly. The work you are doing is complex and also requires a sense of design to pull it off sucessfully, something many website owner\hosts lack entirely. It can be brutal sometimes pulling it all together seamlessly.

I truly enjoy reading everyone's opinions and techie nitpicking :lol: (as if they had a real say over it in the end); One thing in the career field we are all in that I have never seen in any other professional field to this extent is the level of know-it-all righteousness that is ever-pervasive. Thankfully most do not take it to the level that I witness on this site so often from some. My point is (and it has been said by others in this topic previously) what you are doing is working just fine and it looks great. Keep doing it as you see fit. Many site owners would never take the time to share the improvements they are making or listen to the descent thrown there way. ;)

Thanks,
MattyD

Thank you very, very much Matty.

I think a major part of it is that it's just human nature to focus on all the bad things and take all the good things for granted.

Me = Still waiting to hear how layout changes affect blogs / snippets / posts.

Huh?

First, it's hard to keep track as they appear to keep changing on the fly. It's hard to nail that jello to the wall.

Ick. This is about the third variation of it I've seen today. They all make that entry look horrible.

With this one it is currently a wonderful mix:

• You've got some lines that wrap near the top. But they're defines, so it's a particularly bad place to have an inadvertent wrap. Printable is fine, page with ads isn't.
  • Then we have horizontal scrollers making it difficult to read the value -- an issue I had brought up a while back, I thought was momentarily fixed, and now looks bad again (except on the printable version).

Or maybe move it out of Blogs? To Tutorials, perhaps? (Can't think of where it might better belong.)

I didn't realize at the time I posted it that Blogs would someday not be a place for code.

[edit]Aw, crap. It's already in the Tutorials and Snippets too.

This once was readable. Thanks.

It wasn't code.

That one would look better if you simply deleted it.

As I had already mentioned after you did it, your "fix" doesn't do much for me. Although the dump portion was in code tags, it was not code. So by moving it into the code, anyone who copied it would get a shitpile of errors. That's not a fix. The code tags were previously used for their alternate purpose: preserving whitespace. This is something I used to be able to sorta be able to do with fonts, by the way.

Now this one I just wish didn't have the line wrap when the line of code is 80 characters or less. And the way it was earlier in the day in which you had to scroll all the way to the bottom to pull the post to the right and then scroll back up is probably what tgreer was getting at. (That's also the issue with the horizontal and vertical scrollers for code, just in case that comes up again.)

Hello.

I think a major part of it is that it's just human nature to focus on all the bad things and take all the good things for granted.

...or to bug someone so that there *are* less (no?) bad things. Depends on how you look at things.

Frankly speaking the coloring scheme looks inconsistent. Some pages still have that orange shade as the background of div boxes while some pages host the new gray scheme. For eg. who's online page still has light orange background for alternate post entry. Is the gray coloring scheme a test run and you are going to turn everything in gray or is it going to remain the way it is now ?

Pardon me if I have focussed "on all the bad things and take all the good things for granted".

> Is the gray coloring scheme a test run and you are going to turn everything in gray or is it going to remain the way it is now ?
It's half and half right now largely because I'm being indecisive and, while I like the grey better, just can't get myself to leave the yellow for good.

It's not complete yet, but I'm trying to do a test where primary focus elements are in yellow and secondary focus elements (or secondary level hierarchy elements) are in grey.

For example, here in this thread, the actual thread is surrounded by yellow bars. The similar threads, which is secondary info, is in grey.

Or in our Web Dev category ...
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum31.html
You'll notice top level forums (PHP, etc) are in yellow. Second level forums (ie that are subforums within Databases or Web Design) are in grey.

I know it's completely pushing it (and it's largely due to once again me being indecisive between which I like better) the listing of forum threads within a forum are grey because they're within a forum, but the listing of forum threads when you do a search are yellow because they don't have any type of parent element.

I'm a crazy gal :)

Hello.

...or to bug someone so that there *are* less (no?) bad things. Depends on how you look at things.

Frankly speaking the coloring scheme looks inconsistent. Some pages still have that orange shade as the background of div boxes while some pages host the new gray scheme. For eg. who's online page still has light orange background for alternate post entry. Is the gray coloring scheme a test run and you are going to turn everything in gray or is it going to remain the way it is now ?

Pardon me if I have focussed "on all the bad things and take all the good things for granted".

~S.O.S.~ \

You do not seem to be pointing at "bad" things for the sake of doing so-- you are a highly-technical person and seem to have a keen eye in any area you endeavor. That being said, although it is hard to hear at times in life, critcism leads to grander design and implementaion no matter the area of work. Our civilization was built on criticism, adaptation, survival, growth, and improvement :!::cheesy: This is very important in my opinion. ;) "Criticism" is not a "bad" word. :)

Kind Regards,
Matty

> Is the gray coloring scheme a test run and you are going to turn everything in gray or is it going to remain the way it is now ?
It's half and half right now largely because I'm being indecisive and, while I like the grey better, just can't get myself to leave the yellow for good.

It's not complete yet, but I'm trying to do a test where primary focus elements are in yellow and secondary focus elements (or secondary level hierarchy elements) are in grey.

For example, here in this thread, the actual thread is surrounded by yellow bars. The similar threads, which is secondary info, is in grey.

Or in our Web Dev category ...
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum31.html
You'll notice top level forums (PHP, etc) are in yellow. Second level forums (ie that are subforums within Databases or Web Design) are in grey.

I know it's completely pushing it (and it's largely due to once again me being indecisive between which I like better) the listing of forum threads within a forum are grey because they're within a forum, but the listing of forum threads when you do a search are yellow because they don't have any type of parent element.

I'm a crazy gal :)

Its a relief that the current coloring scheme is not the finalized one. I don't mind whatever colors you use, just be consistent and we people are a happy lot. Hoping to see the final site design / color scheme soon...

~S.O.S.~ \

You do not seem to be pointing at "bad" things for the sake of doing so-- you are a highly-technical person and seem to have a keen eye in any area you endeavor. That being said, although it is hard to hear at times in life, critcism leads to grander design and implementaion no matter the area of work. Our civilization was built on criticism, adaptation, survival, growth, and improvement :!::cheesy: This is very important in my opinion. ;) "Criticism" is not a "bad" word. :)

Kind Regards,
Matty

Your words are appreciated.

I guess you really are one happy person today, now that the ROR catergory has been added.... ;)

While I do plan on keeping some stuff yellow and some stuff grey, it will be a lot less hodge podge than it is right now. In other words, it will make sense (hopefully) why different elements are the way they are. However, I do have to admit, that this is not at all a top priority. Instead, this is the type of thing that I will deal with a design and usability consultant on, so it's more of a slow process than me deciding to code something on a whim one weekend.

OK OK I admit ... I do have plans on hiring a design and usability consultant to do a lot more than tell me what colors things should be. I just left it out of my last post because I didn't want to rehash anything with Dave.

I think I've already been spur[r|n]ed enough to divest my interest in posting code on DaniWeb and choose means that allow my "posts" to remain within my control.

I think I know you well enough to say that I feel you're overreacting.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.