No it is not. 'thefreedictionary' may say so, but the OED does not - and that is a (the, even) proper dictionary so I win :)

C'mon may be a commonly used contraction, but proper English it isn't.

>No it is not. 'thefreedictionary' may say so,
But it says right below that:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

But then who am I to argue with a writer :D

What strain of English is c'mon :)

It's a much-used contraction, as Joe mentions. It's informal. So there :mrgreen: At least is was used correctly...

So what does your OED say about the use of there to mean "a form of the possessive case of they used as an attributive adjective" or "contraction of they are"?

But then who am I to argue with a writer :D

A user of the language. ;)

dani, could it be whatever it is you use for thee quick reply box? ive noticed the quick reply box can sometimes lag excessively when typing and then when clicking the go advanced button it can take a long time to come up

It's informal.

I know, I know :)

It was an attempt at humour/humor/being funny...

Guarding yourself against all known hazards, are you... ? ;)

I know, I know :)

Me too! That's why Mr Green made an appearance ;) I like Mr. Green.... Can we get one that's puce -- it's such a funny name for a color... :twisted:

what is puce?

Don't you guys going of topic by the way :cheesy:

Anyway, so far I don't have any problems with daniweb, all features working fine for me

Great job daniweb team

Oh going off topic is one thing which we all Mods are good at... ;)

:) not a mod but i still manage to get waay off topic

what is puce?

Check the OED :D

? OED?

And by the way its still slow for me but for some reason it works fine when i take my pc to my other house..

maybe its my isp.

i do know i am an english language student

its just i dont pay attention typing on the computer

commented: Worst justification for mangled spelling/grammar ever. -1

Fair enough: if you don't pay attention to anything you type, then neither will I. Think it through.

commented: Random rep from Joe +8

Puce: Grayish red violet.

My cable company just had an ad on for its broadband services with the word "fastester" in it.

-----

In my observation, the slowdown depended on whose ad was on the screen (or failed to be on the screen):

- When I have to wait, I look at the status bar to see what site is causing the wait. It is very rarely DaniWeb. Most of the time, it is an ad site.

- The ads with moving pictures take longer to load, and the moving picture itself slows down the rest of the load. It loads very fast right now because all of the ads are static.

- The longest delays occur when "Waiting for reply from doubleclick.net" is on the status bar. " Sometimes the ad fails to load. But the rest of the page doesn't load until after the ad either loads or fails.

This is nothing unusual about doubleclick.net. Every website I know of which allows doubleclick.net ads on its pages also has the same symptoms. I have had the trouble on garageband.com, ebay.com, and aetv.com for years (since 2000). Each time any of these sites was slow, I was waiting on doubleclick.net to reply.

But it is not always the case that doubleclick slows down the load. It happens mostly during the highest traffic periods on the web (when more requests come in than doubleclick can answer), and during doubleclick downtimes in the early a.m. (when the site doesn't respond at all).

And every so often, some webmasters find out how doubleclick is slowing their sites down, and they kick doubleclick off their pages. Then, for a couple of weeks, nobody has any doubleclick slowdowns, because they are not oversubscribed for a while.

- One more thing about doubleclick.net. I have every so often seen them put ads in which don't fit the aspect ratio of the space reserved for the ad. This destroys the intended page layout when it happens. On AETV, it caused the posting window at times to be an inch wide and 6 inches high, because the ad which was 6 inches tall and 1 inch wide was trying to cram into a reserved space 6 inches wide and 1 inch tall. This might explain the rendering problems some people have been reporting.

Is it just me or have others experienced extreme slowness in replying to threads?

It's back again. When I hit the submit button it takes a very long time to complete. Just started yesterday.

Not noticing anything here, Ancient one.

Not noticing anything here, Ancient one.

neither have I since I posted that. Maybe the DaniWeb server is just busy at the time.

Ancient, I think you hit up DaniWeb at a time when the database server was copying an SQL backup to the web server. The other day I was pulling one of my infamous allnighters (redoing the layout of the blogs, tutorials, code snippets, etc) and I happened to notice a 5 am - 6 am slowdown. I've already told blud about it.

Ancient, I think you hit up DaniWeb at a time when the database server was copying an SQL backup to the web server. The other day I was pulling one of my infamous allnighters (redoing the layout of the blogs, tutorials, code snippets, etc) and I happened to notice a 5 am - 6 am slowdown. I've already told blud about it.

AhHa! And I was beginning to think I was getting senile in my old age:mrgreen:

Even though there may actually have been some slowness, that's not a reason to think you're not really going senile.

its stilll slow :(

Really? I haven't experienced the slowness in quite some time. Hmm.

also you know that wierd floaty ad thing i suffer from?

now that ad is just a red cross as if the image is not found

odd thing is when it looks like that, its fast, otherwise slow

its stilll slow :(

Maybe its because you live on the other side of the pond then we do -- all those bits and bytes have to travel through thousands of miles of water in order to get to your house. And you know how bullets travel slower in water than in the air. :cheesy:

im on 10 - 16mb. even if it crosses the atlantic it shouldnt be slow

i do know i am an english language student

its just i dont pay attention typing on the computer

Lol someone just gave me bad rep. Comment was "Worst justification for mangled spelling/grammar ever.". Suppose i was asking for it though with an excuse like that... :)

It's back again. When I hit the submit button it takes a very long time to complete. Just started yesterday.

I've experienced similar problems.. I mean, it isn't that big of a deal... But sometimes when I post, the post is instantly added to the thread.. other times it takes quite a bit longer..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.