I suddenly can't get to many websites I have bookmarked, including:

- Yahoo
- Geocities
- Several small overseas servers
- Terraserver
- Yahoo maps

Your pages are also showing some of the ads broken.

What's going on? It's like a large portion of the Internet is down.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Something tells me the problem isn't on our end :)

sounds like a dns problem on your end

Everything came back about an hour later with no changes on my part. So it wasn't on my end. But since my ISP is the phone company, it could be that they were having problems from the storms.

Something tells me the problem isn't on our end :)

I knew that.

But I wanted to find out which of the following had happened:

- My ISP somehow went bonkers (this was probably the case)

- Something destructive (malicious software) had invaded the internet.

- The storms caused a widespread power failure (the 2003 Northeast blackout and Hurricane Katrina were the causes the last two times I saw failures like this).

i think your ISPs DNS server was just down. this happens to me all the time

>But I wanted to find out which of the following had happened
So then why not ask the question in the network troubleshooting forums? Because although it may have not been your end, I don't quite think DaniWeb is providing your internet connection...

(...yet :twisted:)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I don't quite think DaniWeb is providing your internet connection...

dfgfd
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i think your ISPs DNS server was just down. this happens to me all the time

Then why could I get to some sites, but not others?

I know that somthing at my ISP was down, because I couldn't get to any of the ISP's own websites. But I don't understand how I was still able to connect to some other sites not connected to the ISP, but not others.

>But I wanted to find out which of the following had happened
So then why not ask the question in the network troubleshooting forums? Because although it may have not been your end, I don't quite think DaniWeb is providing your internet connection...

I didn't find a network troubleshooting forum. Where is it?

Then why could I get to some sites, but not others?

I know that somthing at my ISP was down, because I couldn't get to any of the ISP's own websites. But I don't understand how I was still able to connect to some other sites not connected to the ISP, but not others.

if the dns server is down you can go to sites you have visited before as windows saves the domain name and its corresponding IP

if the dns server is down you can go to sites you have visited before as windows saves the domain name and its corresponding IP

In that case, I should have been able to get to all of the sites, since I had them all bookmarked from visiting them just a week ago. I redid all of my bookmarks then.

Also:

1. I discovered this trouble when I lost contact with a site I was using at the time it started. If the above is true, the DNS failure should not prevent me from continuing to use a site.

2. I had visited some of the other sites which I couldn't get to just half an hour earlier. But for some of the other sites I was able to visit, I hadn't been to them since I initialized the bookmarks last week.

This is getting to be more confusing, rather than clearer.

Beware the DST II Bug one week from today!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.