Hi,

I am a great fan of this site and really happy to tell you all that tutorials given here are of great help to me and much better than any book that I have ever come across, since they are based on real world experinces rather than copies from some where else on the world wide web without much of a thought. I have been trying to learn some basics of the open soruce world on my own like Linux, My SQL, PHP, C, C++ etc. My recent focus is on learning as much as possible about using the Linux OS (Fedora version) by using a few books but I am quite disappointed to see that hardly any of them have so far satisfied me fully. There is always something missing and my money seems to have gone down the bin. But then I came across this totorials on this very site about Linux:

http://www.daniweb.com/tutorials/forum39.html

And they are just great. All I would like to request is, please keep posting quality open source tutorials on this site based or ranked on the basis of their relevance, language and simplicity. I am sure people like me who are just starting out will benefit from them a lot. Right now I am reading the book which has been recommended by many people on Amazon, it is called Linux In a Nutshell. Despite the so good reviews, I am not completely happy with it as it raises more questions than it actually answers, and sincerely hoping that someone will write tutorials or a series of tutorials that deal with each chapter of this so called great book. Here are a list of chapters in question.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut4/toc.html

Thanks a lot guys for the dedication and time shown by you all in terms of helping the community. God bless. Cheers.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Thanks for the kind words. The tutorial section has recently been overhauled, and we are now working to increase the volume of tutorials posted but on an invitation only basis so as to ensure the highest quality is maintained.

And high quality tutorials are fairly hard to come by, I imagine. I've plenty of people trying to show off what they know through horribly inaccurate or poor quality tutorials. I'm glad DaniWeb has high standards ;)

>I'm glad DaniWeb has high standards
You can thank both Dani and Davey for that one. Davey did pretty much all the work, so I guess he deserves a lot of credit. But Dani actually initated the tutorial cleanup. :)

I would love to contribute, but still didn't develop skills to write a proper tutorials. So at least I try to make a difference by posting on this forum

And your contributions to the forum are most appreciated!

I think it is important to understand that not everyone can be a great blogger, not everyone can write great tutorials, not everyone is a great poster of forum messages.

What we strive for at DaniWeb is to discover people who do have those talents and attempt to turn that into high quality content in the relevant site sections.

Hopefully it is something that we are starting to get to grips with, certainly feels that way from here.

What about Code Snippets, are you gone keep them as they are or you considering to do some changes?

What do you think? Is the quality of code snippets up to scratch or do you think they need some pruning?

I think they need some extra description not exatly the tutorial type, but short explanation of what it does or good code comenting would be welcome

Thanks for the kind words. The tutorial section has recently been overhauled, and we are now working to increase the volume of tutorials posted but on an invitation only basis so as to ensure the highest quality is maintained.

I feel striving for high quality tutorials and not simply accepting garbled examples for the sake of quantity is incredibly brilliant; I search, read, and practice many tutorials on other sites-- Flash, OpenGL, SDL, Ruby, CSS, etc: they are, for the most part, very poorly-written, inept, and often leave me more confused than when I began. To write tutorials one must be able to write and excel at technical writing, provide deep and concise explanations, diagrams (preferably), and an overall sense of continuity.

Daniweb will profit highly from implementing this new route in regards to tutorials. More programmers will learn more- word will spread- more new members will join- things will grow exponetially.

Thanks for your work, HappyGeek and Dani. Quality.

Matty

Thanks a lot guys. This is a very object oriented community which makes me a proud member of it. I also believe in quality and sincerely hope that some one will write some basic tutorials on open source areas soon. I am starving for some really good knowledge and looking forward to it. God bless all. Cheers.

Maybe you guys should create a thread to post the "exact kind of tutorials" you require (language, a particular concept etc.) so that if someone already has enough knowledge on that topic, he would consider writing a tutorial whenever he has got the time.

Maybe you guys should create a thread to post the "exact kind of tutorials" you require (language, a particular concept etc.) so that if someone already has enough knowledge on that topic, he would consider writing a tutorial whenever he has got the time.

Sounds like a good idea, except I think there are several reasons why we don't do this. Not everyone is a good writer. There are plenty of people who are very knowledgeable about a particular topic, yet would be very bad at writing a tutorial about it. No sticky will be able to change that.

That's why it's invite-only, and I guess if we as Staff Writers see someone posting who has talent, Davey or Dani will send them the link. I agree that there are little things that would help, but such things would be merely tweaks and would get snipped out in the editing process.

Another problem about such a sticky would be that it would "encourage" regular non-writers to send their half-assed attempts at writing them to Davey, and then he would have even more work than the little that would be saved from such a thread.

Not everyone bothers writing tutorials, in fact, if they are not proficient, many people shirk away from it. And adding a disclaimer like "All half assed attempts would be rejected" should get the message across quickly. After all this, the ones who remain are the ones who really can write something good and worth reading.

>in fact, if they are not proficient, many people shirk away from it.
Then how come Davey had to clean up the tutorial section?

>adding a disclaimer like "All half assed attempts would be rejected" should get the message across quickly.
Perhaps I should rephrase my previous statement. What I mean is that it's likely to attract people who are somewhat good at writing tutorials, but simply do not match up to the DaniWeb standards.

The truth is that many people think that they can write a tutorial, many people think that they can simply steal a tutorial from somewhere else and change a few words, many people decide to 'have a go' without giving it any real thought beforehand.

Every one of these submissions had to be checked, consuming a lot of time, under the old system. Anyone could post a tutorial, and the numbers stacked up quite quickly in the moderation queue.

By making it harder to submit a tutorial, the hope is that by some strange twist of irony we will get fewer but much higher quality submissions. Not least because by the time the member gets to the 'writing it' stage, we will have agreed on the content and the style and know in advance that they are up to the challenge.

Then how come Davey had to clean up the tutorial section? What I mean is that it's likely to attract people who are somewhat good at writing tutorials, but simply do not match up to the DaniWeb standards.

I never said that the way tutorials were submitted be changed, its good the way it is now.

But having a thread where we could pool up tutorial requests would interest those people who are proficient in writing tutorials and they could consider writing tutorials on the popularity of a particular topic in the thread say for eg C++ memory management techniques or how to avoid memory leaks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.