In contrast to the "what's your favorite DaniWeb feature" thread I've got going on, I figured I might as well start an "If you could change one thing, what would it be?" thread.

Recommended Answers

All 313 Replies

I would change the quick reply box into a larger one, with more formatting buttons.

The Quick Reply field seems OK (Theres gotta be somewhere for the ad)

But like i said a few weeks ago,we could try moving the ad to the bottom Dani. (Theres already one on top remember)

Member name / link to profile on Featured Blogs.

Member name / link to profile on Featured Blogs.

You've GOT to be kidding me?! If you could change one thing about DaniWeb, it wouldn't be for there to be no IntelliTXT? :mrgreen:

> The Quick Reply field seems OK (Theres gotta be somewhere for the ad)
Not that there's "gotta be somewhere for the ad" but remember the smaller quick reply box made way for one fewer rectangle ad.

And tgreer ... I'll see if I can accomidate your member profile link on blog entry pages.

Re: IntelliTXT. You asked me very politely to stop complaining about it, so I did. If you want to re-open the issue, however, I'm certainly willing to discuss it again. Ready?

Regarding the "member profile link", the main idea is for me to see WHO is writing this (horrible / brilliant, pick one) blog. It seems the best way to handle that is just like it's done everywhere else on the site: the member name. Click on it, you are taken to their profile.

I knew I shouldn't have opened up a can of worms. Sorry :) *blush*

Second point taken. Won't be done in the immediate future (It is Passover for me) but will most likely be done in the not so immediate future.

In contrast to the "what's your favorite DaniWeb feature" thread I've got going on, I figured I might as well start an "If you could change one thing, what would it be?" thread.

I would have a section pertaining to how to generate website revenue... with various programs discussed, like affiliates, resellers, etc.

Not that there's "gotta be somewhere for the ad" but remember the smaller quick reply box made way for one fewer rectangle ad.

I don't even remember the previous ads. Neither do I pay much attention to the present one. I don't even know what is the product you advertise in there, and what it is used for. The only reason I paid any attention was because I saw in some previous threads that it was the reason for the quick reply box to get smaller. And the reason I replied was just because you asked what I would change if I could, and not in the hope that it would get any larger.

And you seem to have missed the "with more formatting buttons" part.

I would have a section pertaining to how to generate website revenue... with various programs discussed, like affiliates, resellers, etc.

Oh, but there is! Our Advertising Sales Strategies forum is the place to discuss affiliate programs and ad networks. And then there's an eCommerce forum.

PM notifications for commets on code snippets... Its one of the reasons why I stopped posting code snippets.

I finally set up a system to send notifications when a new blog entry is posted or a blog entry is commented on. Similar for the code snippets is coming soon.

Thanks. Just let us know when that happens.

Most of you are really going to hate me for this, but Dani asked...

• The smilies here suck. Not so much these ones: :cheesy::twisted::rolleyes:, but I especially hate these ones: :):mad:;). The smile hardly looks like a smile! It looks more like some half-embarrassed cheesy hunk. I still use them occaisionally, as sometimes it's my only way to get my point across. If you want an idea of what I like as smilies, check out cprogramming.
  • The "quick reply" box is too small for anything more than a sentance or two. Personally I don't care about the ads as they're blocked, but I understand the arguments for it already, and won't open a new debate.
  • And of course I hate IntelliTXT, but again there was already a debate on this, I'm not going to reopen the wounds.

Now the next 2 that follow please take with a grain of salt, as I understand many members love these dearly, so you probably shouldn't do anything about them, but here is my honest opinion:

• I'm not very fond of the Geek's Lounge. The posts are generally boring, and perhaps I would close some of the more-stupid threads to keep the discussion a little bit more lively.
  • Don't flame me for this one either! The word games are like the worst thing I have ever seen in an off-topic forum. I can't stand these threads that go on for years and years, and they are ultra-boring. Plus members get super-high post counts from just adding to story or making up a new word. It also makes it difficult to see how much members help in the other forums if they play word games. But again, please don't flame me! I understand completely that there are many members who love this! I will respect that.

> It also makes it difficult to see how much members help in the other forums if they play word games.
Look at a user's favorite forums in their member profile. :) But I will give you that it requires an extra click.

I'll maybe look into adding some new smilies. However, I really do like to be original (as with our entire design) and don't want to just find a smiley pack somewhere on the web at the risk of them being copyrighted or mislabeled as public domain, which could compromise our reputation.

Joe, I went to cprogramming.com to a new thread page to see the smileys that they use, and it said my user account doesn't have sufficient privileges to post. I registered a very long time ago and, as far as I know, activated my account. (It doesn't say I didn't anywhere.) I can't start a new thread or even post a reply in any of the forums.

I forgot to add that although the blog comment notification thing is nice, I'd prefer it to be a little bit more flexible. In other words, it'd be nice if when you viewed daniweb.com/blogs, it would say something like "You have 3 new comments" at the top of the page, and a link which would show the new comments on your entries.

For 2 reasons: First of all, I avoid email notifications on sites I regularly visit. Since I'm checking DaniWeb more often than I check my own email, I feel that it's kind of counter-productive. Secondly, now if I want comment-notification on all my old entries, I would have to manually subscribe to each entry. That's too much work, in my opinion.

Joe, I went to cprogramming.com to a new thread page to see the smileys that they use, and it said my user account doesn't have sufficient privileges to post. I registered a very long time ago and, as far as I know, activated my account. (It doesn't say I didn't anywhere.) I can't start a new thread or even post a reply in any of the forums.

Heh, don't take this as spam, but I copied, erm *borrowed* the emoticons from cprogramming and added them to my site. If you visit the forum in my signature, you'll find that they are identical. And no user-registration is necessary to view the smilies.

And btw I don't think that the smilies at cprogramming are copyrighted, I've seen them at a number of different sites, plus I don't think the admin team at cprogramming has enough time on their hands to make a custom set of smilies... I'm sure it's just some default pack that comes with vBulletin.

Most of you are really going to hate me for this, but Dani asked...

• The smilies here suck. Not so much these ones: :cheesy::twisted::rolleyes:, but I especially hate these ones: :):mad:;). The smile hardly looks like a smile! It looks more like some half-embarrassed cheesy hunk. I still use them occaisionally, as sometimes it's my only way to get my point across. If you want an idea of what I like as smilies, check out cprogramming.

Yay, so when is the change going to happen... :D

• The "quick reply" box is too small for anything more than a sentance or two. Personally I don't care about the ads as they're blocked, but I understand the arguments for it already, and won't open a new debate.

Agreed on this one...

• And of course I hate IntelliTXT, but again there was already a debate on this, I'm not going to reopen the wounds.

The taboo topic on this forum...

• I'm not very fond of the Geek's Lounge. The posts are generally boring, and perhaps I would close some of the more-stupid threads to keep the discussion a little bit more lively.
  • Don't flame me for this one either! The word games are like the worst thing I have ever seen in an off-topic forum. I can't stand these threads that go on for years and years, and they are ultra-boring. Plus members get super-high post counts from just adding to story or making up a new word. It also makes it difficult to see how much members help in the other forums if they play word games. But again, please don't flame me! I understand completely that there are many members who love this! I will respect that.

I am really disappointed Joey, never thought you would say such a thing...:twisted:

I'll maybe look into adding some new smilies. However, I really do like to be original (as with our entire design) and don't want to just find a smiley pack somewhere on the web at the risk of them being copyrighted or mislabeled as public domain, which could compromise our reputation.

So let's design new smileys! How hard can it be?

commented: cute icons :D +3

Don't flame me for this one either! The word games are like the worst thing I have ever seen in an off-topic forum. I can't stand these threads that go on for years and years, and they are ultra-boring. Plus members get super-high post counts from just adding to story or making up a new word. It also makes it difficult to see how much members help in the other forums if they play word games. But again, please don't flame me! I understand completely that there are many members who love this! I will respect that.

I kinda agree. Although I have no problem with the 'games' as it were (I do play), I get tired of seeing the same two people posting 6-7 times back and forth. That doesn't really make it a game for me. Especially when 900+ posts in 2 months is mostly bouncing back and forth for an hour or so (probably -- can't actually tell when they were made :twisted:) adding to these 'game' threads.

So let's design new smileys! How hard can it be?

I'm sorry, but the smiley with the tongue sticking out just looks evil. (I think it's the eyebrows)

I'm sorry, but the smiley with the tongue sticking out just looks evil. (I think it's the eyebrows)

Point was, we can make our own :)

Heh. :D

I think this guy looks far better, we'll call him "yellow mustache man"

The one thing I've found odd as a new user is the existance of Databases under Web Development. It seems rather an odd place for it to go. I assume it was mainly because there wasn't the space on the top bar, but it seems to me that Software Development or Tech Talk would both be more appropriate.

*ducks the flame* :twisted:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.