> You people are weird
...wired would be more like it. :D

The one thing I've found odd as a new user is the existance of Databases under Web Development. It seems rather an odd place for it to go. I assume it was mainly because there wasn't the space on the top bar, but it seems to me that Software Development or Tech Talk would both be more appropriate.

*ducks the flame* :twisted:

What does everyone else think of this?

There is little or almost no activity in that region. It can be either because of the reason just put forward by David. If no serious configuration / change is required, its worth a try.

What does everyone else think of this?

Makes sense to me. Problem is, where would it go? DB is generally used in conjunction with a language...

You people are weird :)

<stuff about Geek Lounge>

Completely agree on this. I've almost stopped going to the Geek Lounge because it's filed with the same 5 word games and a few links each time. Every few days there'll be something interesting. Maybe we could have a play forum for the word games, and the geek lounge could be for random - but still geeky - topics?

<location of Databases>

I think databases is in a nice spot, given that so many web apps are largely database driven. I'll certainly acknowledge that databases are not solely for use in web applications, but that does seem to be a reasonable location.

Completely agree on this. I've almost stopped going to the Geek Lounge because it's filed with the same 5 word games and a few links each time. Every few days there'll be something interesting. Maybe we could have a play forum for the word games, and the geek lounge could be for random - but still geeky - topics?

I like this. And posts to games don't increase your post count :mrgreen:

> And posts to games don't increase your post count

Nooooooooooooooooooo....... :D

<stuff about geek's lounge>

Agreed. When I started posting here there were two wordgames in the geek's lounge, but now when I go to the lounge ( I've been away for a while for the people who don't know me) I see about 10-15 games on the mainpage....
The geekslounge used to have an occasional interesting topic, but I can't find them anymore embedded in the wordgames... Perhaps closing a few of these topics would help? (Sorry Sanya.... ;) ).

<stuff about smilies>

This smily : ;) annoys me the most. It should mean: don't take this to seriously. But it looks like a sarcastic smily saying: whatever.
@The Queen: Perhaps you could ask Iamtwhee to design something, I've seen his art and it's a big thumbs up!

<stuff about adds>

Agreed (and that's all I have to say about that :) )

Regards Niek

Perhaps closing a few of these topics would help? (Sorry Sanya.... ).

I really wonder who Sanya is....:eek:

I really wonder who Sanya is....:eek:

He misspelled it. It's probably Sandy :p

Um..but who is Sandy ?

Hiya Niek! Good to see you back here...

Agreed. When I started posting here there were two wordgames in the geek's lounge, but now when I go to the lounge ( I've been away for a while for the people who don't know me) I see about 10-15 games on the mainpage....
The geekslounge used to have an occasional interesting topic, but I can't find them anymore embedded in the wordgames... Perhaps closing a few of these topics would help?

I also feel that having the word games in the Geek's Lounge prohibits real discussions - the kind where both sides have strong arguments, and the smarter members go at it, and the discussion goes on for weeks. Although nearing the end of their lives they tend to get boring, these are what should be encouraged in such an off-topic lounge. As an example, we haven't had a discussion like this one in a long time, where smart members from both sides went at it (and are still going at it), and both have logical arguments.

It's probably not possible to close the word-game threads, as many people love them, however I think that the least that could be done is make a separate forum for them.

This smily : ;) annoys me the most. It should mean: don't take this to seriously. But it looks like a sarcastic smily saying: whatever.

My preferred ;) smily I have attached. I'm not saying that Dani should copy it, (and of course it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the smilies here), but perhaps a similar face could be drawn on a blank smily? It's not like you can't borrow ideas from other people.

My preferred ;) smily

All those smilies gave me an idea for daniweb:
A database of smilies where everyone can contribute.
*gasp, applause, bowing*

Just put some rules to follow (size in pixels, format, size in kb, animated or not...) ... and viola!

That is one thing I would change around here.

My preferred ;) smily I have attached.

Voila:

[edit]I'm a posting pro in training, whoopie![/edit]

Looks like we aren't that original. Rashakil came up with the idea of separating the word games a whole year ago:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread47030.html

And by seeing the number of replies it has got, you must have got a fair approximate of how *well* the idea was taken in by the members of Daniweb... ;)

Seriously, think of it this way. There are many people here who are not programmers or not involved in the technical stuff. They post for fun and relax in the Geek's Lounge. Now take away the post count of those members and where does that leave them -- nowwhere I guess. So, there would be no reason for them to post. If this reasoning is followed, the creative and lively spark of Daniweb would dry out and Daniweb would be "just another Tech forum"...

And by seeing the number of replies it has got, you must have got a fair approximate of how *well* the idea was taken in by the members of Daniweb... ;)

Seriously, think of it this way. There are many people here who are not programmers or not involved in the technical stuff. They post for fun and relax in the Geek's Lounge. Now take away the post count of those members and where does that leave them -- nowwhere I guess. So, there would be no reason for them to post. If this reasoning is followed, the creative and lively spark of Daniweb would dry out and Daniweb would be "just another Tech forum"...

We're not saying to get rid of the games, but to separate it from the material that some of us self-declared "geekier" folks want to read and discuss. And if people are posting just to raise their post count... well, that's pretty lame at best (I'd call it spam, really).

Who would be best at identifying spam? I guess the site administrators -- and since they have not posted even once in this thread regarding this issue, it stands pretty obvious what will become of this discussion... ;)

>Seriously, think of it this way. There are many people here who are not programmers or not involved in the
>technical stuff. They post for fun and relax in the Geek's Lounge.

Depends what you mean by "fun and relax". There are plenty of topics that non-technical members can post to that are still somewhat constructive. Going back to my previous example, there were quite a number of replies to that article about "why the scientist believes in God". At least 1 member was non-technical, so I think it's fair to say that we don't need word games to let non-geeky members have fun.

>Now take away the post count of those members and where does that leave them -- nowwhere I guess.

Do you think that they really deserve to have high post counts, however? They get titles such as "veteran poster" and "senior poster", yet what good is a title like that if they've done all their posts on word games?

>So, there would be no reason for them to post.

I don't think so. If there were a separate section for word games (which didn't increase post counts), and members really did want a high post count, they would post in threads that have real debates and voice their opinions. Like I previously said, there's no reason why the threads in the Geek's Lounge have to be super-technical, the only thing that should be required is that they are somewhat constructive.

>If this reasoning is followed, the creative and lively spark of Daniweb would dry out and Daniweb would be "just
>another Tech forum"...

I'm not entirely sure that members post in word games just to increase their post count (although it's likely there are a few). Many just find it a fun way to relax, and if it were moved into a separate category, not only would it be more organized, there'd be a chance for more of these games to exist and stay alive, as well as encourage more "real" threads in the lounge, which I think would keep everyone happy.

No moving ads.

They are extremely distracting.

No moving ads.

They are extremely distracting.

Yeah. And flashing!

All those smilies gave me an idea for daniweb:
A database of smilies where everyone can contribute.
*gasp, applause, bowing*

Just put some rules to follow (size in pixels, format, size in kb, animated or not...) ... and viola!

That is one thing I would change around here.

I don't think that would work. Imagine... thousands of emoticons pouring in, completely random, and then breaking the "DaniWeb style", which is a yellowish/purple theme.

Plus, there'd be the constant extra work for the moderators to keep tabs on the submitted emoticons to make sure that they don't break any rules.

Why not?
Rules can be simple:

- GIF format
- size 19 * 19
- standard color palette
- say, 15 frames max
(no human watch necessary for above)

I know that there must be someone who would have to pass a final judgment whether or not the smiley is acceptable, but the smiley collection here is... well... poor.

I know that there must be someone who would have to pass a final judgment whether or not the smiley is acceptable, but the smiley collection here is... well... poor.

Yes I agree. For a community like Daniweb which is smartly customized to the core, the smileys kind of look lame, not at par with the community standard. I wonder how much it would cost Dani get the customized smileys done...

I wonder how much it would cost Dani get the customized smileys done...

Why should it cost? Aren't there members who can click pixels in a 19x19 grid?

You obviously didn't like mine. :cry:

No intellitext for ME. I use links! I think everything is good. (no ads, intellitext, crap, junk for me)

Ads? what ads? why does everybody moan about the ads? I haven't seen ads on DW for months :)

Anyway I'd rather have ads and free membership than no ads and have to cough up every month.

Why should it cost? Aren't there members who can click pixels in a 19x19 grid?

You obviously didn't like mine. :cry:

Ah..no nothing like that Walt, you are really good at Paint Shop Pro. Your smileys gave me an idea....why not start a competition at Daniweb wherein members can submit their own smileys and the best smileys win. :D

Anyway I'd rather have ads and free membership than no ads and have to cough up every month.

Yes, esp. when we can disable ads... ;)

On the games argument, I don't think anyone is posting just to increase the post count, nobody here is that lame. They are posting because they enjoy the games, and that was the whole point of the Geek's Lounge - to provide a place for non-support postings, where people can kick back and relax. If they do this by playing games then so be it, not a great problem. A great way of building the community though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.