How many reputation points does it take to get a block? Is it 100? Because I have 46 points at the moment.

It takes 50 points for a change of title and 50 points for an additional block, so together it becomes 100 points for a total change.

Yeah, I'm the person that spends most of my time in the geek's lounge playing word games hehe...

Yeah, you are the one all of them are looking after... ;)

BTW, I am happy with the Rep system except for some kids "derepping" me for no reason without knowing that my neg rep can affect them in a big way. I guess thats why they don't bother leaving their names behind. :D

PS: A couple of more points and something would surely change -- either my title or the shiny dots. :twisted:

John A commented: Here you go then... let's see what happens :mrgreen: --your blogger friend Joe +9

Well guess what, I think Dani forgot to code titles after "is a name known to all", so I am just left with the same old title. A PM to Dani would clarify matters a bit... ;)

There's quite a bit after being a name known to all ;)

Noooo, but I want a new title. :D Please come up with a good one Dani.. ;)

Being a newb and not knowing as much as the rest of you, I just thought you could sort of fix the Global Spec advert from covering the drop down menu on the home page.
Just a thought!

Noooo, but I want a new title. Please come up with a good one Dani..

How about

• is the forum's wise guru
  • really doesn't have a life
  • is an uber-geek
  • don't mess with x
  • is probably not a real person, it's a bot
  • is an unemployed nerd

Or are those just lame... :D

Is it just me, or have I totally lost the focus of this thread...

> Is it just me, or have I totally lost the focus of this thread...
This is one of the better hijacking's I've come across lately too.

I think the rep system is fine the way it is. People catch on quickly enough, and those who know about it tend to use it enough.

I guess I'm just not insightful enough ;)

I'd venture that you won't have as much of a chance to demonstrate your insight in all the games. Almost all of my rep has come from the programming sections, where I can throw out bits of information better. 'Course, not everyone here's a programmer, but even in serious discussions in the Geek Lounge you'd probably have a better chance of getting more rep. ;)

9:36here....we are one timezone ahed of FL but no daylight savings .but its alot futher ahead over in england thou..hey they have multiple time zones there? i fferget..

Th united kingdom is all one time zone. Just looking at my rep, i see that most of my points come from the windows forums. interesting...

• don't mess with x
  • is an unemployed nerd

I like these two.. :cool:

I wonder if Dani seriously considers coming up with a new title or is this the end of it...:'(

I'd venture that you won't have as much of a chance to demonstrate your insight in all the games. Almost all of my rep has come from the programming sections, where I can throw out bits of information better. 'Course, not everyone here's a programmer, but even in serious discussions in the Geek Lounge you'd probably have a better chance of getting more rep.

Serious discussions in the Geeks Lounge...you have got to be joking. The only serious discssions are those discussions which turn into a flame war and we don't get to see a lot of them nowadays...;)

:cool:New smiles! yeee!

Serious discussions in the Geeks Lounge...you have got to be joking. The only serious discssions are those discussions which turn into a flame war and we don't get to see a lot of them nowadays...;)

Hm... that would make it tough to get more rep, huh.... :p

I:*Dani

> Hm... that would make it tough to get more rep, huh.... :p
Yes sort of, but they are fun while they last... ;)

Eh.. I've gotten all of my rep points from the geek's lounge. But most of them are not from word games.

Btw: What determines how many points you get from a single rep? Like say, someone gives me a good rep, but it only boosts it up a point. But if someone else gives me a good rep, it boosts it up 10 points. [?]

And agreed, rep is very hard to come by. I try to remember and give it to well-deserving members, however I often forget. Quite often one can get far more reputation by mentioning the fact that he/she doesn't have very much than they can when they are actually helping someone.

Haha, I posted a thread with a few questions about rep a while ago without the intention of getting any rep, but I got quite a bit :D
Previous to reading this post I allready repped "Christina>you" so that she would get a new title...
The only problem I have with the rep-system is that you can't rep someone twice, you would have to rep someone else first. There are a few members here that just post brilliant stuff... ;)
@~s.o.s~: Sux that you didn't get a new rep-title, but you can always change your custom title!

Niek

ps. New smilies !

Btw: What determines how many points you get from a single rep? Like say, someone gives me a good rep, but it only boosts it up a point. But if someone else gives me a good rep, it boosts it up 10 points. [?]

Again speculating on how it works: if you get rep from someone with little rep of their own, you get a small number of points. If you get rep from someone who has a lot of rep, you get more points. This is a really cool dynamic, since the people that have lot of rep are less likely to be impressed by a post than those little rep, and so it adjusts accordingly.

Again speculating on how it works: if you get rep from someone with little rep of their own, you get a small number of points. If you get rep from someone who has a lot of rep, you get more points. This is a really cool dynamic, since the people that have lot of rep are less likely to be impressed by a post than those little rep, and so it adjusts accordingly.

Ahhh.. very understandable.

The only problem I have with the rep-system is that you can't rep someone twice, you would have to rep someone else first. There are a few members here that just post brilliant stuff... ;)

This has to be done to prevent Rep spamming...

@~s.o.s~: Sux that you didn't get a new rep-title, but you can always change your custom title!

:-/

Yeah, but the weird thing (I mentioned this to ~s.o.s~ already) is that it has some other factor in there, too.

When ~s.o.s~ reps me, I get 6-8 points. When Ancient Dragon reps me, I get 10. ~s.o.s~ has the most reputation of anyone here on this forum. To make things more confusing, ~s.o.s~ says I give him around 6-8 points on each click as well...

The amount of influence a user has to alter someone's reputation is dependant upon a number of factors including their own reputation, how many posts they have, and how long they have been an active DaniWeb member.

Ah... I kind of suspected join date had something to do with it.

yay mine says i will become famous soon enough. doubt it though :)

oh and some serious suggestions:

when i comment on a blog i am not notified if someone else comments. I dont like this as i sometimes ask the authour questions and like to read replies.

i cannot post pictures in my blog

when you give someone negative rep it says thanks i hope you get some too which annoys me

when i click a thread in subscribed threads it would be better if it took me to the last page

>when i comment on a blog i am not notified if someone else comments.
That's what the "subscribe to this entry" link that's on the sidebar of every entry is supposed to do.

>i cannot post pictures in my blog
Dani said something about that "she's working on it".

>when you give someone negative rep it says thanks i hope you get some too which annoys me
Actually I find it kind of funny... :icon_biggrin:

yeah its funny yet annoying

ill have to try that subscribe to blog thing in the future.

hmm seems the ads are broken on some threads. look at the screenshot. there are two sets of identical ads one under the other?

wait its fixed now (thanks dani)

hmm seems the ads are broken on some threads. look at the screenshot. there are two sets of identical ads one under the other?

aaak internet exploer...aaaaaagh!!...*runs away*

srry im jus nto fan of internet exploer..:/......(firefox is much better..)..and he former...well...it doesnt like me..:(...but only me though like my sister....:/.....
iv onyl been here for exactly one week so if i culd change anything...id change this stupid startup problem with my printer....but thats not relevent to this thread...baaa

i like IE as it can make mobile favourites for my PDA

i like IE as it can make mobile favourites for my PDA

perhaps...however that tends to freeze alot and is supposedly less ecure than firefox......but eh im no expert..besides...IE jus liekto freeeze on me e.o.....joy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.