I came across this scene (check the attachment) while browsing
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post278621.html#post278621

Now it is back to normal.

(Using latest firefox)

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

Happened again.

In your first screenshot, the wide skyscraper in the sidebar looks cut off. But I don't see what's wrong with your second screenshot?

I realize it now that the ads CHANGE from time to time. Just, the ads I thought were rouge are not that often displayed.

My fault. Haven't been around for a while. Things changed.

And for the cut-off ad in the first shot, probably zoomed in flash.

*feeling stupid*

Congrats on the 10000 mark.

The ads have allllllllllllways rotated?

This is what I see 99% of the time.

That's because you're here too much. :)

Paying advertisements get frequency capped so that they don't keep showing to the same uninterested user time after time (since the advertiser pays when their ad is displayed regardless of whether it's clicked on).

When there are no more paying ads to display to you, you see those house ads. If you clear out your cookies, you'll start seeing those other ads for a little bit, and then it will inevitably default back to the defaults after you've browsed around a little .

I guess the ads got the message.
The message is :

I don't like ads.

One more thing: I'm here too much times two. (Chaky2, remeber?):twisted:

That's why the ads that you do see (generally) aren't really ads ... they're things like "Relax in our Geek's Lounge" :)

That's why the ads that you do see (generally) aren't really ads ... they're things like "Relax in our Geek's Lounge" :)

I used to see the "relax in etc" add all the time, but now the adds have disappeared all together. Which is great, no complaints here :P

Niek

Found a glitch!
Notice the menu.
One with glitch is with Firefox v2.0.0.3

The glitch is on the part of that particular advertiser.

That was the problem I reported some time ago, except that the dropdown showed over the ad. But the clicks on the ad worked instead of the clicks on the dropdown.

Are we talking "rogue" instead of "rouge"? Rouge is red makeup.

MidiMagic, you're problem was also related to a flash ad, right? It appears to be a problem on the part of Macromedia or the particular advertiser in how their ad is designed. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it from my end.

Rouge ads don't match the color scheme.

Hehe

That's why the ads that you do see (generally) aren't really ads ... they're things like "Relax in our Geek's Lounge"

Question: since house ads that say things like "chat up a storm on our IRC network" and such don't really earn you revenue, why not just show whitespace instead? It would definitely encourage people to visit DaniWeb more regularly. It doesn't really matter to me that much, since I'm using an ad blocker anyway, but it would be a cool feature for the regulars.

Rogue.. rouge.. slip of the finger.

I don't see any ads on DaniWeb anymore which is why I have started participating again. AdBlocker Plus addon for Mozilla works great. The pages load much quicker and are 100% ad free. Sorry sponsors/advertisers, but you guys should make smaller and less obnoxious ads and there would be no need to have to block them. But nope, you think more colors and more movement will get your ad noticed.... wrong. It gets them blocked.

Kevin, the advertisers don't care :) They pay per time an ad is viewed regardless of whether it's clicked on. When their ads are blocked by people who wouldn't bother clicking on them, it saves them money that is spent on ad views by people who are more likely to click.

It just did it to me. I tried to open the Web Development menu, and the Columbia ad is on top of the dropdown, preventing me from using it.

You should not be allowing advertisers to do whatever they please. How about requiring all ads to be .jpg files without javascript.

GIF and JPG ads unfortunately aren't capable of bringing in any revenue nowadays (or rather, a minimal amount). Certainly nothing to make even a dent in expenses.

Macromedia Flash is the standard for ads. And, unfortunately, there is a known bug with Flash and absolutely positioned layers ... Flash simply doesn't adhere to the CSS z-index property the way all other page elements do. The bug has existed and been known about for quite awhile now, and many sites have the same problem. It's just a matter of convincing IE and FF that the problem IS important enough for them to fix. I was really hoping that it would be fixed in IE7 but alas no. Grr.

It did it again today.

Microsoft won't fix it, because ads are of chief priority to Microsift. We would have NO problems with spam or viruses, except that Microsoft put in code to allow ads.

Is it possible that you can put the ads away from the dropdowns, so they don't get in the way?

Another idea is to show the first frame of the ad, and put a button you can push if you want to see the motion. I think all moving things should be optionally started.

There used to be an option on Mozilla browsers to turn off motion, or stop it after one repetition. But it is gone now.

Maybe the users should have a way they can charge the advertisers a dollar each time they are annoyed by a moving ad.

> Another idea is to show the first frame of the ad, and put a button you can push if you want to see the motion.

Yeah and I wonder how many users are going to actually push that button... :icon_rolleyes:

> There used to be an option on Mozilla browsers to turn off motion, or stop it after one repetition.

Firefox does have a "pause" button for Flash modules. I haven't used Mozilla in a while, though.

> Maybe the users should have a way they can charge the advertisers a dollar each time they are annoyed by a moving ad.

Why don't you just get yourself an adblocker?

I have Firefox. Where is this pause button?

I don't have an ad blocker, because they block a site I have to use.

An extension maybe?

> I have Firefox. Where is this pause button?
When you right-click on a Flash module, there's this "pause" option.

[edit] Oops sorry, it's the "play" button, not the "pause" button. But yeah I just tested it out now, and it works fine.

I don't have an ad blocker, because they block a site I have to use.

It is really a good piece of software -- provided you know how to configure them.

Unfortunately, this site uses popups for important information - and it's a government site.

Maybe I will note which ads are obnoxious, and not buy the products advertised.

Kevin, the advertisers don't care :) They pay per time an ad is viewed regardless of whether it's clicked on.

Noooo! all that wasted time! For years ive been clicking the ads in every thread in the hopes of helping fund the community :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.