Well, thanks; but I must say, any thanks should really lie with those inspirational smilies. I'm rarely that lucid on my own. Or cliched for that matter.

That post took a good few minutes to orchestrate; I almost wish I'd resisted the urge to click the 'More' button and see which other faces I had at my disposal...

Y'kno, personally, I find these smilies more intuitive; I certainly use them more. They're also very widely supported; and they degrade well : they'll look acceptable on any system with a screen really:

^_- wink
^_^ bigsmile
-_- leave me alone
O_o eh?
O_O OMG
>_> err...
>_< grr..

of course... they look optimum in Courier/System..

Over a decade ago I authored a guide book to the whole smiley and TLA (Three Letter Acronym) thing, based largely around BBS and Usenet usage I think. Great fun, but in the real world I prefer to spell things out for clarity if possible. I get in trouble with my teenage kids for sending multiple text messages as I refuse to go down the SMS-speak route.

There is an argument, of course, that if you express yourself clearly in words in the first place then smilies are not necessary to dig you out of potential trouble later.

Hah ha ha. My dad is like that. He thinks he is really cool because he can send SMS texts from his phone but in reality he doesnt have aclue about it. There always in block caps and spelt perfectly as he refuses to use TLA's like LOL :)

lol.. anyway, back to the smilies.. I think they are better than the old ones.. I just wish you could post them in the quick reply box.. (or can you?)

>I just wish you could post them in the quick reply box..
Whoever said you couldn't? Just use the standard emoticon abbreviations, such as :P, :), :D you get the idea...

oh i know, but why is there not a button for the new smilies in the quick reply box? You can always use the standard emo abbreviations.. But y use those when there are some awesome animated ones?

> why is there not a button for the new smilies in the quick reply box?
Because the quick reply box can't get any smaller...

> But y use those when there are some awesome animated ones?
Because they convey the wrong 'emotions'.

The world needs less political correctness.

It's a religion. They plagiarized the Baha'i Faith to make Political Correctness.

I hate PC. Its stupid.

Edit: you weren't taking me seriously that post, were you? And I hope you weren't taking my profile literally.

When one lacks a sense of humor, I would say yes.

lol.. anyway, back to the smilies.. I think they are better than the old ones.. I just wish you could post them in the quick reply box.. (or can you?)

I don't. Too many of them make no sense, like ;) :D

I made alternates, they were ignored... SIL. :icon_mrgreen:

I liked your alternatives Walt.

I hate PC. Its stupid.

I prefer Linux myself. ;)

I meant Political Corectness

Anyway unless you are running linux on something like Sparc or PowerPC you are still using a PC

Anyway unless you are running linux on something like Sparc or PowerPC you are still using a PC

I was gonna say something similar; but I thought about it a moment, and came to the conclusion: when you put linux on a pc; it becomes a "workstation" ^_-

Whether that implies that you have to put more work in, or that you get more work done... I guess that's upto linux users to debate.

It's a religion. They plagiarized the Baha'i Faith to make Political Correctness.

I don't think it's plagiarism when political ideals are based on a religion. Ignoring elitist or anti-inclusionist cults; surely it's the aim of all religions to adhere to some kind of truth; and promote and share that truth as widely as possible.

Political correctness is just two unrelated ( perhaps mutually exclusive ) words stuck together, with an implied concept of social harmony. What it connotes though, is that social harmony has to be upheld by holding one's tongue or keeping one's beliefs private to avoid offending anyone. Which almost implies, that it can only exist if created or adhered to by individuals with otherwise disharmonious social misgivings.

By definition, social harmony cannot exist as a result of legislation. Inner harmony is more important; because without it, it's difficult or close to impossible to integrate with any kind of society. Inner harmony fluctuates; and if we see an individual, with a potential mixture of inner beliefs and personal conflicts as every day goes by; as a microcosm of society, then there can't be any kind of solution for all of society's problems, save an obvious one, which we spend the most part of our lives wishing we could avoid.

But hey. Governments try their best to fix the bad everytime it rears its head. They perhaps have the best of intentions; but I sometimes do wonder what the ultimate intention of every party/government is. I don't really think any government would WANT social harmony, it would make them redundant; in the same way that we'd be bored and dis-satisfied if we had no challenges and no inner voice.

But hey. Governments try their best to fix the bad everytime it rears its head. They perhaps have the best of intentions; but I sometimes do wonder what the ultimate intention of every party/government is.

Do not steal -- the government hates competition.

My linux workstation actually didnt take a lot of work ,much less than vista did (eek dont remind me of that bloatware)

I meant Political Corectness

Ahhh, that's right. You're from England and can't quite grasp the concept of American humor. Even when a smiley indicates humor... :icon_roll:

i know, i was being ironic, something you americans dont get :)

lol.. uh oh, seems like a brit v. American fight is about to break out..

We whupped 'em in 1776 and 1812, then saved their butts in WWII. What can they throw at us now? :icon_twisted:

hahaa.. man, I agree.. bring those brits on! Down with the queen!

Let's not go down this road as it will only lead to a flaming thread methinks.

Back on topic please...

Oh, I was just about to make a comeback by asking why you took so long to lend a hand in the world wars. Oh yeah, you were getting rich :)

Anyway, back on topic. I love the new smilies but the ;) one is crappy. Love the new theme by the way too but it has a few bugs.

Let's not go down this road as it will only lead to a flaming thread methinks.

oh, we're just joking around

Oh, I was just about to make a comeback by asking why you took so long to lend a hand in the world wars. Oh yeah, you were getting rich :)

Anyway, back on topic. I love the new smilies but the ;) one is crappy. Love the new theme by the way too but it has a few bugs.

lol.. Well we would have helped, but we prefer wealth to war..

..The smilies don't work for me anymore for some reason..

If you guys really saw the war, you wouldn't be joking about it.

You have to take war in a jokey fashion or else you get depressed about it.

I wonder if you would say the same about death.. *roll eyes*

Have you ever noticed how old people joke alot about thier own deaths? its thier way of coping.

Safely assuming that I have seen more deaths than you have, no, I never saw anyone joke about death.

My grandparents do it all the time. So do my parents.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.