Personally, I find it easier on the eyes as well and my overall judgement is that I prefer the new bigger size.

I like it too and suppose that is true for anyone with something less than perfect eyes.

Mel, what do you think about the size of code snippets are compared to the normal text? Don't you think even that ought to be changed along with the normal text.

It is much easier to read but one line uses like a whole page on mobile devices :(

Mel, what do you think about the size of code snippets are compared to the normal text? Don't you think even that ought to be changed along with the normal text.

The code snippets just happen to look a little funny at this font size. That aside, increasing the font size of the code snippets would screw this up => http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread68511.html

Why not add scroll bars to the source code pasted so any change in size wouldn't affect the overall layout ?

Because we used to have scrollbars and they were just so annoying, I did all that I could to get rid of them. For example, if the first line of a code block was extra long, you had to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the code block, use the horizontal scrollbars to see what's most right, then scroll all the way back up, see the remainder of the first line, then scroll back down, move the horizontal scrollbar back to its default position, and then scroll back up and continue reading line two. So annoying! The current solution is:

Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one Line one
Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two Line two

See ... automatic wrapping :) So that eliminates the need for scrollbars. Regardless of that, when I print out code, I tend to use horizontal paper orientation so that there are as fewest line wraps as possible. I like to read as much code on one line as possible. And it's not like the old font size we had (which is what the snippets are) is just so small that people were constantly having problems trying to read it.

Don't know why but the current post font and code font don't mix quite well, it just takes away the focus from the code. Still this kind of setup would have make the code look quite good.

I don't like that format at all, sorry. :( I like to see as much as possible at once, with the least amount of scrolling involved.

I splurged on a 30" monitor specifically so that I can see as much as possible at a time when I'm coding without having to scroll. I don't like the idea of all my code now being forced into a fixed size <div> .

It also looks as if DevShed's posts are the same size as ours now are. And I just don't like that size Courier New - it looks awkward to me, I don't know why.

*shrugs* I guess its just me. Also considering no other Programming Forum Mod or member has raised an issue, its OK with me.

Maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's the forum style constantly changing that bugs me.

I don't really know. When I first came here to DaniWeb, the theme seemed decent. A year later, I still think it's (more or less) decent. It doesn't seem that much better than when I first came here.

It's not just you, Joe. This is something I've brought up before too. I don't believe I've made my point very well.

What I see/saw is/was is something like this. A while back there was an effort here at "community building"; all-in-all a worthwhile endeavor. But some of the effects of the changes seemed to go contrary to this goal.

Many of the changes were nifty for a newcomer to the site. But the changes also had the effect of "ruining" posts already made by those that had been here a while and were already good contributors to the community. So some of these contributors now contribute less.

From my perspective, the implementation of these changes had the effect of driving away folks "older" folks in favor of "newer" ones. It also had the effect of trashing some old tutorials and things in the process.

So Joe, as one who has a history of contributions, if some of the stuff you took the time to write now looks a little "screwed up" from what you originally wrote, does that make you more or less likely to spend the time either "fixing" things back up (lesson: don't contribute too much!), or simply not spending the time in the first place?

Anyways, my point is and always will be lost. Changes will come and go, and probably so too those that contribute most. I guess if the turnover has a net positive gain it's good for the site. But I wouldn't say that this is "community building". But that's just my opinion.

commented: Thank you. --joeprogrammer +9

i think the change was necesarry.

For the code block styling, I do like the auto-wrapping for long lines, but sometimes it would be nice if there was a scrollable div for the code. Not all of us have 30" monitors, and when someone posts 100+ lines of code it would be nice to limit the amount of scrolling necessary to get past their code. Just my $.02 on that...

The font sizes are fine to me. I prefer a slighly larger size just because it's easier on the eyes. And I'm still to young to be wearing those out :P

> and when someone posts 100+ lines of code it would be nice to limit the amount of scrolling necessary to get past their code
That's one of the reasons why the size of the code snippets wasn't increased as well (because code snippets tend to be rather long and can lead to a lot of scrolling). But at the same time, code is just as important a part of a post, and I would assume that when reading threads in the programming forums, one would not very often skip past all of the code the majority of the time.

If you keep the larger font size, I think the QUOTEs should increase slightly, too. Maybe just 1 pt.

I don't mind the new size.

Argg... too much scrolling!! Lol...

Although I might eventually get used to this new font size, I see several problems here as already mentioned by other members:If we make the font size larger, then the code size looks too small.If we make the code size larger, then it wraps too much.If we put in a scrollbar for the code, there's too much scrolling for a lot of members with larger screens (like me).
I just noticed that the page margin border has changed. Everytime I come here something is different. I used to like change, but now I'm not so sure.

I just noticed that the page margin border has changed. Everytime I come here something is different. I used to like change, but now I'm not so sure.

People said the same things when we moved from the old colour scheme and page layout but we all got used to it in the end

Edit: Please, Dani, make the quotes bigger (just 1/2 points)

*sigh* I think I'm takin' a beatin' in this thread.

The font size changed? I never noticed. What's the big deal?

I think, after getting used to it for a while, thats its a good and necessary change. It will be like before, a few will complain but in the long run it will all be for the better.

lol.. I think it's fine;)
Give it time, people will get use to it

I agree. I think dani feels a bit unapreciated and is a bit fed up and that she cant please everyone.

yea.. If she needs help, all she has to do is make me a moderator:$

I agree. I think dani feels a bit unapreciated and is a bit fed up and that she cant please everyone.

You could say that again.

Now that I've taken it in for a bit I have to say I don't mind it at all. I think I'm happier with the larger font size but wouldn't be heartbroken if we went back to the smaller size.

Now that I've taken it in for a bit I have to say I don't mind it at all. I think I'm happier with the larger font size but wouldn't be heartbroken if we went back to the smaller size.

Agreed.

yea.. If she needs help, all she has to do is make me a moderator:$

My Ghod!! Can you say "Bull in a china Shop?" ;)

Dani, can you tell us when the test will be over so we actually know when the font size changes back? That way we can more easily compare the sizes and 'remember' what it was set to...

Traffic is slow and more unpredictable on the weekends so I want to give it at least until the middle of the week. Please see the attached file to compare.

That's the problem. By constantly changing the forum style to please everyone, it annoys people who have gotten used to the style.

Adding a feature? Fine with me, if it's an obvious improvement that has few disruptions to the rest of the layout at DaniWeb. Changing a style which has been around for quite some time? Uh.... take great caution when doing it, that's all I can say.

Or give users the ability to modify the text size in their user CP?
</totally meaningless post>

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.