> Give it time, people will get use to it
In other words ingore the ones who strive for a better Daniweb....

> </totally meaningless post>
You forgot the opening tag Joey, sorry your post doesn't comply with the standards... :D

Or give users the ability to modify the text size in their user CP?

I braught that point up that with dani already

Dani can you make all the text sizes the same? I find the current font size too large ( I dont like scrolling, and I write my code at editor font size 9-10, but that is just me ). So when I change the size of text to suit me at daniweb, the quotes cannot be read as they are about two sizes smaller than normal text.

Wolfy, please, please throw me a bone and give the new text size a one week long chance to prove itself to you. It might just be that you don't like change but might appreciate it in the end, once you're used to it.

I'm not going to change the design/layout from what 5 million visitors see by default, and what I want them to see, to accomidate one person who is specifically altering what it's supposed to look like. :-/ I'm sorry.

Think of people like poor Christina here, who isn't happy about the extra scrolling involved with the larger size. It seems silly to make her scroll twice as much just to make bigger some text which is repeated twice on the same page, once already in the larger font size.

Would it be that hard to make font size user configurable in the User CP?

Think of people like poor Christina here, who isn't happy about the extra scrolling involved with the larger size. It seems silly to make her scroll twice as much just to make bigger some text which is repeated twice on the same page, once already in the larger font size.

OK OK. I can bear with it for one week.

I'm not entirely ruling it out, but I really don't want to start loading up the control panel with user configurable options that affect how the site displays ... I can very easily see this being a precedent for user configurable options to have a larger quick reply, a customizable time format, fewer ads, larger font sizes, a different look for the code snippets, extra information about blog entries, and so on, and so forth.

Especially in this case, I really think that the only problem is people who just don't like change and aren't willing to give it a chance. The vast majority seem to really like the change, and those who don't just haven't given it a chance.

For example, yesterday Christina said:

Yeah, I don't like the font size either. I liked it much better the other way.

Today Christina replied in agreement to stymiee's post: Now that I've taken it in for a bit I have to say I don't mind it at all. I think I'm happier with the larger font size but wouldn't be heartbroken if we went back to the smaller size.

This doesn't really seem like one of those situations where the entire forum community is completely split in half and passionate about it after lots of debate about the topic. For example, there is the option to completely disable IntelliTXT via your member preferences in your control panel.

But this is really such a minor design change ... from 11px to 12px font for message and article bodies. When there's just SO much on the site, I really need to pick and choose what options are available for the sake of being usable and understandable and not entirely cluttered up with options and choices. I just don't think this is "important" enough to warrant a space next to disabling IntelliTXT, for example.

OK OK. I can bear with it for one week.

Thank you, Wolfy :) If you go out of your way to shrink it in your web browser, you'll never get used to it. But ya never know - you might end up liking it if you give it a chance.

For example, there is the option to completely disable IntelliTXT via your member preferences in your control panel.

Where?
Does it cost money?

No, it's free - I mentioned it a couple of times back when the IntelliTXT debates were coming to a close as my final compromise. Just go into your control panel and then to the Edit Options area. Scroll down to Thread Display Options and tick the Disable IntelliTXT checkbox.

Ahh, might turn it off then (ill just commpromise by clicking the ads more often :) , anything to help bring in the £££s in)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I don't mind the new text. It's ok.

"You'll get used to it." That's what's been repeated over and over again in this thread. Probably true. It's probably also true that I would get used to IntelliTXT if I didn't have the option of disabling it here, and it's probably true I will get used to the small quick reply box.

That doesn't mean that the change is good. Aside from some people like me, who find is aesthetically disappealing, it does not fit into the rest of the font sizes here at DaniWeb. Code looks weird in posts. All the text I can see here in the "Advanced Reply" is the small text. It then suddenly enlarges when I hit the "Submit Reply" button. This whole site seems to be designed around the old font size. And making everything larger only makes it harder for people with small screens.

> You'll get used to it.
I don't mean this in a way that, over time, it won't bother you so much anymore. What I mean is that it seems that the majority like it, and of those who didn't like it at first, some now like it better, after using it for only a day. So I mean to say just give it a chance because you may be surprised.

Go with the new font. If it really really bugs a small group of people that much, there's probably a way to change it in their browser (e.g. I think Firefox has some plugin to apply custom CSS to pages).

As for those saying to put it in the CP, while that's a nice idea, it's not always feasible. The CP should be kept simple and trivial things (such as this IMHO) need not clutter it up.

Member Avatar for rkamin1

IMO, I like the change. It was my first immediate notice when logging in.

I'm a tall person and I prefer my keyboard and mouse a full arms-outstreched length away to preven my forearms from getting sore resting on the edge of a desk all day. By doing this, I keep my monitor a good distance away. With that being said,
the old font caused me to have to lean forward a bit to read. Now I can sit back and strain much less than before.

C'mon guys, Dani is trying to help us all out by saving our eyesight a bit. Give her a break.

Chalk another one up in favor of the new font size!

-Robbie

The side by side comparison is very interesting Dani, and has made me even more certain that the new font size is the right way forward.

Everyone likes it except me, so I will shut up now.

Everyone likes it except me, so I will shut up now.

I bet a quick greasemonkey script could adjust the font for you automatically.

I bet a quick greasemonkey script could adjust the font for you automatically.

A CSS hack sufficed.

Maybe you should post it here for all those people who are with you on font change... ;-)

The CSS would be:

div.ad_txt
{
     font-size: 11px;
     color: #444444;
}

I'm not sure how to go about implementing that on DaniWeb. I know both IE and FF let you specify your own style sheet.

Maybe you should post it here for all those people who are with you on font change... ;-)

Eh...

1. Find your Firefox profile (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\, on Mac it's ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox, on *nix it's .mozilla/firefox)
  2. Make a new file chrome/userContent.css
  3. Add this to it
    @-moz-document domain(daniweb.com)
    {
        div.ad_txt { font-size: 11px !important; }
    }

Maybe not the most elegant way of doing it, but at least it works.

Come on Dani. We wouldn't be programmers if we didn't like tinkering with computers in the first place. Besides, even microsoft offers the option of switching between the the classic interfaces and the newly designed ones.

Thank you Joey, maybe now I would be able to view each and every site in my favourite font -- Slyfaen. :-)

now I would be able to view each and every site in my favourite font -- Slyfaen. :-)

Whatever works for you... (wait, you weren't being sarcastic were you? :p )

> Whatever works for you... (wait, you weren't being sarcastic were you? :p
Oh my, I really have got intelligent people as my friends... :-)

But yes, if given an option like the one you mentioned, I would definately like to try out different font and size combinations.

PS: BTW, whats up with all the darkness... ;-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.