>Whats wrong with starting sentences with 'lol'
Nothing's wrong with it, per se, but the constant use of it makes it rather pointless, and to be quite frank, makes you look more like a kiddie than a professional.

>The purpose of language is communication.
Exactly. So use language, not a flood of useless smilies and silly abbreviations.

>and as long as people can read and understand what you are typing
Hmm, except that what you may be able to understand in terms of 'chatroom speak' may differ from someone who's never been to a chatroom or gone to MySpace. Using numbers in place of words makes it harder to decipher a post, in particular, for adults or professionals, which is the kind of crowd DaniWeb should be aiming to attract.

I don't have horrible grammar/typing skills..

In English, sentences are terminated with a single period.

Why do you attack us?

Why do you view my opinion as an attack? I referred to the "myspace crowd", you claimed not to know who I meant (which I doubt - I think you knew very well I meant you, among others), and so I clarified. You don't have to respond. You can choose to ignore me and go along your merry way.

Despite all your expertise (which I don't doubt; I don't frequent the hardware sections, so you might actually be a valued, contributing member in that regard), it's this kind of emotional, defensive response that puts you in the "myspace crowd".

It's interesting, when my generation invented smilies and chatroom speech (yes, I was a CompuServe sysop, which was like a "pre-Internet web" to you kids) we never meant it to become the norm for speech on digital media. Having an historical perspective does lend itself to irony.

Why do you view my opinion as an attack? I referred to the "myspace crowd", you claimed not to know who I meant (which I doubt - I think you knew very well I meant you, among others), and so I clarified. You don't have to respond. You can choose to ignore me and go along your merry way.

I viewed it as an attack b/c you specifically said me in your post. Your right, I can choose to ignore you, but I prefer to defend myself rather than run away. Also, I don't even like myspace;)

Despite all your expertise (which I don't doubt; I don't frequent the hardware sections, so you might actually be a valued, contributing member in that regard), it's this kind of emotional, defensive response that puts you in the "myspace crowd".

It's interesting, when my generation invented smilies and chatroom speech (yes, I was a CompuServe sysop, which was like a "pre-Internet web" to you kids) we never meant it to become the norm for speech on digital media. Having an historical perspective does lend itself to irony.

I only use 'chatroom speech' online.. It is much easier to abbreviate words than to write them all out.. Call it lazy, but I think its more of a convenience than anything. Also, I think 'chat room' speech is becoming more and more of a norm.. so perhaps all the older people should get used to it:idea:

btw: "Having an historical perspective does lend itself to irony."
is not a very 'grammatically correct sentence'. Also, it should be 'a' not 'an'..:twisted:

In English, sentences are terminated with a single period.

I prefer the multiple periods, b/c it portrays an emotion of annoyance...

I viewed it as an attack b/c you specifically said me in your post.

If I don't name you, how would you know I included you? That isn't an attack. Are you damaged or injured in some way?

I only use 'chatroom speech' online.. It is much easier to abbreviate words than to write them all out.. Call it lazy, but I think its more of a convenience than anything. Also, I think 'chat room' speech is becoming more and more of a norm.. so perhaps all the older people should get used to it:idea:

It is lazy. It isn't easier to read, and shows a lack of respect for your readers. It isn't the norm for communication. Use that kind of lazy lingo on a resume, and you'll be rejected out of hand. I'm not going to throw the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation out the window because of your laziness.

btw: "Having an historical perspective does lend itself to irony."
is not a very 'grammatically correct sentence'. Also, it should be 'a' not 'an'..:twisted:
I prefer the multiple periods, b/c it portrays an emotion of annoyance...

You are incorrect. The indefinite article "an" is used before a mute "h", and three periods is an ellipsis, which represents an incomplete thought, not "annoyance". I could tighten the grammar up a bit, though: An historical perspective lends itself to irony. Thanks.

we never meant it to become the norm for speech on digital media

Well, it did.

Cell phones, IM clients, and gamer forums? Sure. Professional IT Discussion group? No.

Like it or not, this is not professional IT/hardware/software/programmer exclusive forum. Allot of incoming members are rookies in those areas. To be more clearly understood, experienced members/moderators must use abbreviations (and other accessories) that those rookies use, otherwise replies would look too arid.

I wonder if it's possible to reply to Josh's post without "attacking" him. Being only two years older than Josh, or maybe three if you're counting school years, makes me a past-border-line hypocrite, possibly, when it comes to some adjectives I will invite Josh to consider. (I am acting a bit like an old fogey who knows better, when I am not. The fact that I grew up on Usenet might explain a lot about my attitude, though.) I am trying to explain, not hurt.

Why do you attack us?

You treat the site like a low-caliber chatroom. As opposed to a high-caliber chatroom or a forum. See the following posts as evidince.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post342473-216.html

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post342487-226.html

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post354415-53.html

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post342490-229.html

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post342493-231.html

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post343265-296.html

Now it's time for a humorous picture:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/archivist.htm

I don't have horrible grammar/typing skills..

Then I take it you deliberately write poorly.

probly

At least it seems that way.

As for ... qualified enough to post on daniweb.

That does not qualify you and its absence does not disqualify you. Saying you got a 5 on an AP test, as if passing an intro-level class means anything, means, if anything, it's time to look up the word 'uppity' and consider how it applies to yourself.

You know, I got told something like this myself, four years ago.

I wonder if it's possible to reply to Josh's post without "attacking" him. Being only two years older than Josh, or maybe three if you're counting school years, makes me a past-border-line hypocrite, possibly, when it comes to some adjectives I will invite Josh to consider. (I am acting a bit like an old fogey who knows better, when I am not. The fact that I grew up on Usenet might explain a lot about my attitude, though.) I am trying to explain, not hurt.

You treat the site like a low-caliber chatroom. As opposed to a high-caliber chatroom or a forum. See the following posts as evidince.

Ok, fine.. I admit that those posts may be rude and inappropriate in this forum..

Then I take it you deliberately write poorly.

yes, I do write incorrectly on purpose. I've grown accustomed to writing like that from AIM and such..

That does not qualify you and its absence does not disqualify you. Saying you got a 5 on an AP test, as if passing an intro-level class means anything, means, if anything, it's time to look up the word 'uppity' and consider how it applies to yourself.

You know, I got told something like this myself, four years ago.

Well, I was just trying to prove that I do have some knowledge, and I am not some idiot that comes here just to play the posting games..

Ladies, gentlemen, and those who are unsure of their gender, let's take a step back and get this thread back on track. No need to get personal or attack each other. We have a "Keep it Pleasant" rule for a reason. You all are wonderful contributers to Daniweb but no one is above the rules. I prefer to use my moderator powers to remove spam and move threads to their proper forum but I'll hit the infraction button if forced to.

I'm sure some of you may want to reply to get your two cents in but at this point no more currency is required in this thread. Let's all suck it up and move on.

but your not a mod anymore;)

Ladies, gentlemen, and those who are unsure of their gender, let's take a step back and get this thread back on track. No need to get personal or attack each other.

We're not attacking each other. We are getting personal, though :D

Relax, please.

You. Christina. Jbennet. Age isn't the issue. The issues: the flood of useless posts. Horrible typing/grammar. Starting every sentence with "lol" and ending it with a smiley. Daniweb used to be typified by highly-qualified posters who took pride in crafting very knowledgable answers to programming and technical questions. Those responses attracted other like-minded people, and so we had a growing core of technical professionals.

Now we're typified by users who care more about reputation points, user titles, gold stars, and post count.

Not too long ago, we had a staff that would ruthlessly maintain quality... lemurexplosion would have been infracted into oblivion long ago (and rightly so). Now we don't seem to have any standards. We have a friendlier, happier Daniweb, that's for sure, but I think the quality has deteriorated.

Do not start these personal attacks. PLEASE!
Daniweb can be used for fun, you know.
You don't always have to be politically correct. Quit trying to act so 'intelligent' by putting people down, I'm tired of it!

I agree, I've been noticing a flood of users who only care about chatting in the Geek's Lounge. 90% of these users are under the age of 20 (just a guess, but not that far off).

What's wrong with the Geek's Lounge? I thought it was there for that purpose. Am I wrong?

oh, all the old people are just ranting.. lol

perhaps from now on we should talk in AIM code, so they don't understand...

Yeah, well obviously, we don't make much sense with our 'myspace lingo...' as it is.. psshttt.

We are just young whippersnappers who know nothing about anything.. just fools who like *2* play idiotic word games and contribute nothing to daniweb...

*** 'Lol' exactly. '=p' ***

There should be, like, clubs or alliances between members here @ daniweb.

(did I just say @?)

[edit]
Whoops! Wrong thread.

what good would that do? lol.. we could have gang wars or somethn (yes, I spelled something wrong.. shoot me already)

To be more clearly understood, experienced members/moderators must use abbreviations (and other accessories) that those rookies use, otherwise replies would look too arid.

Oh come on Chaky...

To Josh:

And please don't think all the older members here at Daniweb are trying to shoot you down. Its not about you, its the way with which you present yourself which makes all the difference. And you would be wrong in thinking that one can't achieve humour or fun without leet speak and the likes. Try writing in a proper manner once in a while -- you will like it and make more friends than you already have.

We're not attacking each other. We are getting personal, though :D

I stand corrected.

Oh come on Chaky...

Hmmm... you're right. It does sound dumb....

I'll rephrase: I will use "lol"'s and:D's to establish communication with someone that practices that kind of posting, although I do not use often emoticons and lol-kind-of-abbreviations.

Communicating using noobspeak is simply unacceptable* when there are people here, not necessarily the original poster you're talking to, who are not from English-speaking countries and can barely put coherent English sentences together.

* i.e. evil

commented: I love the footnote. -'Stein +6

I'll rephrase: I will use "lol"'s and:D's to establish communication with someone that practices that kind of posting, although I do not use often emoticons and lol-kind-of-abbreviations.

...or you can always request the concerned person to type properly. Three out of ten times, if they are wise enough, they would comply with your request. I myself have converted many l33t speakers to people who make a decent attempt at writing proper English (though not at Daniweb).

lol @ evil

I hate when foreigners try to post questions.. It all sounds like jumbled garbage (not anything like 'myspace lingo').

I hate when foreigners try to post questions.. It all sounds like jumbled garbage (not anything like 'myspace lingo').

You should not, its not that they are doing it on purpose. Everyone here tries to help out people who are in real need of help but can't express it rather than people who choose to type improperly just because they want to.

Do not start these personal attacks. PLEASE!
Daniweb can be used for fun, you know.
You don't always have to be politically correct. Quit trying to act so 'intelligent' by putting people down, I'm tired of it!

Stop reading "personal attack" into what I post. PLEASE! Since when is the mere mention of your "name" classified as an attack? What purpose could possibly be served by anonymous, watered-down discussions about no one in particular? I would certainly hope if you have an opinion about me, that you would tell it to me, by name, so that I can make a considered decision about it.

I'm not "putting you down". There is a group of people here who are relatively new, relatively young, who treat Daniweb as a type of hang-out, and who don't care about quality technical posts, the ostensible purpose of the site. Bringing that to the attention of the administration is valid feedback. Naming names helps those individuals understand what the problem might be. This is in no way an attack or some vain attempt to somehow "seem intelligent".

Daniweb has changed. It's a problem. You're a part of the problem. I'm sorry if you equate that statement to a personal attack, but it isn't. You can accept or reject my opinion, change your behavior or not, as you see fit.

P.S. Do you know what "politically correct" means? That's kind of a strange and out-of-context label to apply to me!

...or you can always request the concerned person to type properly.

Not my style. I like to make more direct link at 1-on-1 level of communicating without restrains. Plus, that would sound like patronizing.

(in my defense) Allot of newcomers approached me via PMs with their problem(s), and every time my reply sounded like "Post a thread and I will reply you there. Someone else might have same problem."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.