Stop reading "personal attack" into what I post. PLEASE! Since when is the mere mention of your "name" classified as an attack? What purpose could possibly be served by anonymous, watered-down discussions about no one in particular? I would certainly hope if you have an opinion about me, that you would tell it to me, by name, so that I can make a considered decision about it.

I'm not "putting you down". There is a group of people here who are relatively new, relatively young, who treat Daniweb as a type of hang-out, and who don't care about quality technical posts, the ostensible purpose of the site. Bringing that to the attention of the administration is valid feedback. Naming names helps those individuals understand what the problem might be. This is in no way an attack or some vain attempt to somehow "seem intelligent".

Daniweb has changed. It's a problem. You're a part of the problem. I'm sorry if you equate that statement to a personal attack, but it isn't. You can accept or reject my opinion, change your behavior or not, as you see fit.

P.S. Do you know what "politically correct" means? That's kind of a strange and out-of-context label to apply to me!

Hmm.. okay I surrender!
Thanks for including me in the "you're a part of the problem" section of your post.
I have done nothing to cause a 'problem' in Daniweb. If I have, then I think I would have been kicked out by now. Sorry that you don't have the authority to take over this site.

And for the 'politically correct' part, just omit the 'politically.' And you'll get it.

You should not, its not that they are doing it on purpose. Everyone here tries to help out people who are in real need of help but can't express it rather than people who choose to type improperly just because they want to.

..but its hard to help people when their posts don't even make sense! Do they use like crappy translators or do they just type every English word that they know?:-/

They use translators which are not perfect. But you can't blame them.

..but its hard to help people when their posts don't even make sense! Do they use like crappy translators or do they just type every English word that they know?:-/

True, but some of the translations are hilarious.

Christina, Josh, et al,

I won't hold it against you for acting your age, I assume you won't hold it against me and other "old" people for acting ours.

You youngsters are cool, I have no problem with anything you do and haven't had a problem with anything you say or how you say it. I may be a bit speechless about some of your prolific posting activity, and might not comprehend why you care about bad rep (or even good rep) but thats really none of my business.

We were all young and teenagers once, you guys can look forward to trading places with us old folk and scolding the future "myspace crowd" for being care-free and silly and wasting too much time chatting on IT forums.

Well, I don't think we've ever held it against any of you all for being 'old.' It's just when we are criticized and stereotyped into the 'myspace kids' category, and are blamed for the downfall of this site, that's when we get a little offensive. Who wouldn't?

You ask who wouldn't? I wouldn't. I could care less what anyone here thinks about me or what they say about me, not that anyone does. You shouldn't either, but thats your decision to make.

When that happens to you, you need to ask yourself "why". I don't know you, we've never exchanged messages prior to this recent mess, and yet I've stereotyped you in a message intended to highlight a perceived serious fault in the site. Why would I do that? Hmm:

1. tgreer is a mean bastard who can't stand cute 17-yr old girls
2. tgreer is putting on an act to seem more intelligent
3. tgreer is frustated that he can't take over the site and run things his way
4. There is some truth to what tgreer is saying - maybe I should explore the site a bit and see what it's really all about before I post again or ask for changes to how things work here

Given these options, you immediately jumped to conclusions 1, 2, and 3, and refused to consider number 4.

(If you're keeping score, number "3" is probably the right answer.)

Well, I don't think we've ever held it against any of you all for being 'old.' It's just when we are criticized and stereotyped into the 'myspace kids' category, and are blamed for the downfall of this site, that's when we get a little offensive. Who wouldn't?

Hm.

oh, all the old people are just ranting.. lol

perhaps from now on we should talk in AIM code, so they don't understand...

Yeah, well obviously, we don't make much sense with our 'myspace lingo...' as it is.. psshttt.

We are just young whippersnappers who know nothing about anything.. just fools who like *2* play idiotic word games and contribute nothing to daniweb...

*** 'Lol' exactly. '=p' ***

Yeah, contributing 99% gibberish used to be termed "spam". It was then summarily removed from the site (maybe not this one).

But it's 'nicer' here now and we attempt to communicate about nothing in a language some can comprehend. Actually, it doesn't seem 'nicer', but it is becoming more difficult to comprehend. Bonus I guess. ::shrug::

---

And the thing about different languages confuses/irritates me. I was once troubled by the (I believe Indian English) use of "doubt" for "question" -- apparently there the two have less of or a different distinction. But I've learned to understand not-quite-American English as reasonable questions with a language barrier (when posed as inquiries). I thought the "young'uns" were supposed to be so tolerant?

Personally I would rather see a correct English rule on all technical forums, but leave the off topic stuff to the whim of the poster. Remember however that I am an old man who won't even use abbreviations (ever notice how long that word is) in a text message, although I'm a killer with predictive text ;)

My mother would go spare if I started writing like that, but then she's even older than pretty much all of you!

As for different languages, if I don't understand it I don't answer it, simple.

1. tgreer is a mean bastard who can't stand cute 17-yr old girls
2. tgreer is putting on an act to seem more intelligent
3. tgreer is frustated that he can't take over the site and run things his way
4. There is some truth to what tgreer is saying - maybe I should explore the site a bit and see what it's really all about before I post again or ask for changes to how things work here

Given these options, you immediately jumped to conclusions 1, 2, and 3, and refused to consider number 4.

(If you're keeping score, number "3" is probably the right answer.)

Umm, okay? It's not even a big deal.

Yeah, i found that post a bit disturbing. Personally I was thinking more along the lines of points 3 and 1

lol.. tgreer seems to be a bitter old man. No offense, but he is continually complaining about teenagers, talking down to us, and just flat out flaming. I'm sorry that we're young and do things differently than your used to.. If you don't like it, then don't go to the Geek's lounge!

lol.. tgreer seems to be a bitter old man. No offense, but he is continually complaining about teenagers, talking down to us, and just flat out flaming. I'm sorry that we're young and do things differently than your used to.. If you don't like it, then don't go to the Geek's lounge!

If you'd actually read what he's saying, it's not a complaint against teenagers. It's a complaint against the people that come to Daniweb and transform it from being a highly technical and professional site to one where they can come to hang out and play childish games. Such activities will eventually lead to the long-term technical users finding other places that better suit their interests, and nobody really want that to happen. Except perhaps some of those who are only interested in the games.

Notice I didn't name anyone :P

But don't all these people you speak of only post in the Geek's lounge? If so, then avoiding the geek's lounge would be an easy solution

It's a solution for the people who spend 90% of their time playing games in the GL. It's not a solution for the rest, it's a pain.

May I ask how it is a pain, exactly?
(I'm not trying to be smart, just want to know)

May I ask how it is a pain, exactly?
(I'm not trying to be smart, just want to know)

For example: you want to follow a thread in a programming forum that you posted to and in the intervening hour and a half 52 posts push replies to this thread to page 3 of the "posts since last visit": do you feel like wading through pages of unrelated crap to see if someone has answered? And since there are no more absolute times, you are required to recall close to exactly what time you posted in order to figure out if someone has responded? Or just write it off as a now-useless "feature".

So you must rely on the CP at Daniweb and ignore most of the site in order to retain a semblance of sanity. Or jump though more configuration hoops with your profile.

Now: other sites offer similar information exchange with far less overhead. Where do you go?

If the site persuades substance-contributors to leave, and non-substance contributors to stay and "chat", what happens over time?

But don't all these people you speak of only post in the Geek's lounge? If so, then avoiding the geek's lounge would be an easy solution

So does it mean that the regular and older members give up the geek's lounge for raising a valid point ?

Okay I will now explain why exactly this thing is starting to bite everyone. No one minds a bit of fun and frolic -- after all each of us needs a break.

So what does someone come up with ? He / She comes up with a funky game for passing our time. But look and behold -- now everyone wants to come up with his own little contraption -- a new game of which he would be a owner. Enter the proliferation of games -- three word story, music association game, three word game, yes or no etc etc. So where does this leave us? A page full of games? Again, no one minds fun, but anything in excess is harmful / abnormal, even love !!

The powers have been taken away by the moderators to a great extent, they don't have power they used to have, otherwise most of the threads would have got deleted for lack of sensible context. Come to think of it, its rather surprising none of the Geek's Lounge moderators have posted even once in this or the related threads !!

How about banning non-technical games then

Update: Worth reading.

Maybe now you know why non-technical games can't be banned.

You might want to post a link that isn't to a mods only forum

My mistake. Sadly, there is no equivalent link in the normal forums.

Yay i saved up the $45, now i just have to save for postage and then soon i will haave access to area 51...

My mistake. Sadly, there is no equivalent link in the normal forums.

why don't you just post what was said in the link?

I'd be a bit peeved if what I posted in what was purportedly a private forum for moderators only got copied and spread around publicly.

commented: True, next thing you know our PMs go on public display? +9

To send this thread back on-topic: if you check your user CP, you will notice that the names of the reppers are now beside the reputation you've received. How amusing.

Quite amusing, so see so many negative reps from so few people... :icon_lol:

Yeah I got hold of the real culprit. And since currently normal members can't hand out negative reputation, I could have settled the score. Its a pity I am not built that way.

Nice that I can see who repped me. WIsh I could control the rep points I give to someone.

commented: hehe. an eye for an eye sometimes makes things more fun. +7

Heh, having looked at a few people's rep now, I see the system is almost completely worthless. Oh well, t'was fun while it lasted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.