Well the idea is that, by making usernames public, people will be less likely to rep people for the sake of it, etc. and it can actually BECOME useful.

Hopefully that will happen... hopefully...

There are two possible outcomes: it works as intended and the reputation system become a much more useful measure than it was before, or you get people involved in a 'rep war' for want of better term. I would like to think that the vast majority of DaniWeb members are mature enough to avoid the latter whilst appreciating the former.

I inttially thaught about a rep war but then decided against it, i think others will do the same/

I inttially thaught about a rep war but then decided against it, i think others will do the same/

Yeah, I was gonna bad rep you big time, ol' buddy! Then I decided you're a good kid so I left you alone :icon_mrgreen:

commented: thanks ;) +12

This is better that a soap opera on TV.
Now I have a new game with this thread.
I go down the thread and every time I see someone with a good rep or a bad one, before I check what's the comment on it, I try to guess who gave it and why. I'm getting pretty good guessing.

I have to admit, the opening up of who gave what rep provided no revelations for me.

I have to admit, the opening up of who gave what rep provided no revelations for me.

You are a choosen ONE.
Remember to carry your "gitf" with cheerful hart, "my little grasshopper", even when is a burden.

Actually, there was one revelation, involving my very first negative rep, from back when I was a noob on this forum.

I think this new edition to the rep system has worked rather well.. I'm glad the admins decided to make the change!

commented: Welcome back Josh! :) +12
commented: He's back, with a new avatar! +9

I think the rep system is horribly broken by an unfixable human element. It has lost all meaning.

commented: But still feels good to agree. +2

Agree whole heartedly with you. And the thing that you can't control the rep points you give adds more hopelessness to the system. I think the suggestion offered by Salem is the best, if we need to make rep meaningful.

I think the rep system is horribly broken by an unfixable human element. It has lost all meaning.

Heh.

Well the idea is that, by making usernames public, people will be less likely to rep people for the sake of it, etc. and it can actually BECOME useful.

It's quite simple. 90% of the time, we give reputation if we like the person, not the post. The people who introduce themselves in the "Community Introductions" receive a lot more rep than some of the helpers in the software development forums.

Like I said in the other thread, I still think that the points should be disabled altogether. Or if they're left in, they should be weighted like Salem suggested.

It's quite simple. 90% of the time, we give reputation if we like the person, not the post. The people who introduce themselves in the "Community Introductions" receive a lot more rep than some of the helpers in the software development forums.

I tend to give the newbies +rep for a good start and warm welcome. They probably don't need any and most of them never post again, so should I quit giving them good rep?

>I tend to give the newbies +rep for a good start
They already start off with some points. If they needed more, I'd think that Dani would change the default amount.

>most of them never post again
Ah, but we were all newbies once. A single lousy rep won't hurt, in fact, giving "welcome rep" isn't all that bad in the bigger scheme of things. However, continually giving out useless reputation (like "here's some in return" or "nice avatar") breaks the whole system.

In other words, evaluate the post, not the poster.

commented: nice avatar! ;) +6

>I tend to give the newbies +rep for a good start
They already start off with some points. If they needed more, I'd think that Dani would change the default amount.

>most of them never post again
Ah, but we were all newbies once. A single lousy rep won't hurt, in fact, giving "welcome rep" isn't all that bad in the bigger scheme of things. However, continually giving out useless reputation (like "here's some in return" or "nice avatar") breaks the whole system.

In other words, evaluate the post, not the poster.

Oh, I didn't know they started out with any. I had forgotten I guess.

My understanding behind this logic is so that someone without reputation who receives a negative-rep won't go into the red immediately.

I think the reputation system is working well. It's true, some people may give an occasional positive rep for fun to a friend.. but most of the time, people do rep their posts.

The one thing, if any, that could be changed about the rep system is the noobs.. Many of them will post asking for help, and when someone helps them.. they will give that person positive rep. However, since they are noobs, their rep doesn't count for anything. I noticed this on someone's profile the other day.. All their recent rep received was gray b/c he had helped some noobs out. But, I do realize that if the noobs were given the ability to affect peoples rep from the start, some members may take advantage.

Hmmm.. Why can we no longer see other people's "latest reputation received"?

>Why can we no longer see other people's "latest reputation received"?
Hmm?

See... I can't view anyone's latest rep for some reason...

Can't take a few weeks off without everything changing over here...
Here's my penny:

[nag mode]

I don't like the new rep-system. Infarction, ~s.o.s.~ and Joe are right, it has lost all meaning. In the past you had too make a really helpfull post (in descent English) to recieve Rep. Now everyone is handing out rep for avatars, 'i agree' posts, a cool smilie, favourite coffeebrand and size of underwear.

I was under the impression that Daniweb is an IT-Discussion forum, not MySpace v2. I think the rep-system has to be changed back to the way it was before, or removed all together.

[/nag mode]

Niek

commented: Exactly +8
commented: completely agree +5
commented: "I agree" - Oops! +2

I like the rep system, it's taken me since I signed up to get my relatively few points, but I'm proud of the total that only I can see..

I think 'new entrants' should get more rep or that rep given should be less dependant on the givers rep; why? That's personal really, most of my rep points are from helping individuals, but most of my rep score was given by 'megarep members' - either in conversation threads, or from people repping me while passing through technical discussion; which is less that someone that I've helped approves of the quality of help given, as it is someone that I likely haven't helped approving of something I've said. My point; some of my grey reps mean more to me than my green reps; yet they are never 'counted for anything' publicly.

Not a huge gripe; the forums I post in do seem to have quite a big turnover of question askers compared to question answerers; so perhaps this is less noticeable in forums with more consistent frequent poster bases.

commented: My opinion exactly. +8
commented: Exactly what I was trying to say in broken English - Niek +2

I like the rep system, it's taken me since I signed up to get my relatively few points, but I'm proud of the total that only I can see..

I think 'new entrants' should get more rep or that rep given should be less dependant on the givers rep; why? That's personal really, most of my rep points are from helping individuals, but most of my rep score was given by 'megarep members' - either in conversation threads, or from people repping me while passing through technical discussion; which is less that someone that I've helped approves of the quality of help given, as it is someone that I likely haven't helped approving of something I've said. My point; some of my grey reps mean more to me than my green reps; yet they are never 'counted for anything' publicly.

Not a huge gripe; the forums I post in do seem to have quite a big turnover of question askers compared to question answerers; so perhaps this is less noticeable in forums with more consistent frequent poster bases.

That's what I just said in my previous posts.. noobies should be given more rep power since a lot of the time they register for help with one problem.. They are helped, and they give positive rep, but It doesn't count for anything.

See... I can't view anyone's latest rep for some reason...

Fixed.

Fixed.

great, thanks. What was wrong? Why was I unable to view people's latest rep, but joe was?

Well.. I don't think it's neccessarily a good thing when people sign up for help with one problem, get the help, and then never return.. and you can never know that's going to happen UNTIL a person never returns. It's not neccessarily a bad thing either; since other people may benefit from past threads; especially if good questions are asked.

Perhaps; the rep score for a person could be calculated dynamically based on the present rep score of all past givers of rep to that person.. erk maybe not.. cyclic dependancy error!

They are helped, and they give positive rep, but It doesn't count for anything.

Who says they don't count for anything? The people who helped them don't care about the color of the dot. They will care about the gratitude of the OP, and the positive comments they leave. If I remember correctly, the first reputation I recieved was also gray, but it had a very good positive comment on the lines of "Helping the OP without giving any code", i.e. showing the way. Man didn't that feel good. If a moderator or someone with higher reputation power that frequents that forum thinks it fit, they will hand out reputation for that particular helpful post, and it will increase the reputation count. I think that was Dani's philosophy in making the whole reputation handling business public. Other people can judge the post by looking at the reputation received for that post, and by whom it was given. And if they too find it helpful, they will handout some reputation too.

I think I said in a previous post, I count a single grey reputation from a newbie that I help worth more than the 200 or more points I received during the past few months in the geeks lounge.

commented: You're right about my philosophy +10
commented: Mine is not grey, but I hope it will count for you. +2

I think I said in a previous post, I count a single grey reputation from a newbie that I help worth more than the 200 or more points I received during the past few months in the geeks lounge.

Well said

Who says they don't count for anything? The people who helped them don't care about the color of the dot. They will care about the gratitude of the OP, and the positive comments they leave. If I remember correctly, the first reputation I recieved was also gray, but it had a very good positive comment on the lines of "Helping the OP without giving any code", i.e. showing the way. Man didn't that feel good. If a moderator or someone with higher reputation power that frequents that forum thinks it fit, they will hand out reputation for that particular helpful post, and it will increase the reputation count. I think that was Dani's philosophy in making the whole reputation handling business public. Other people can judge the post by looking at the reputation received for that post, and by whom it was given. And if they too find it helpful, they will handout some reputation too.

I'm talking about the rep system itself. Newbie reps don't count for anything in the current rep system.. their reps might have a sentimental value, but they have no effect on the system. I just thought that newbies should affect other's rep.. b/c as you just said, many members feel that the newbie rep reflects their accomplishments best. It's always nice to see someone thank you for helping them b/c it doesn't happen all the time...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.