Nvm = nevermind

The current status of rep is ... put off until the new style is working good and bug free.

I don't want to show who gave rep because then it would turn into a behind the scenes flame war, no? I give you bad rep so you give me bad rep, blah blah. I thought that being anonymous would be less MySpacey.

lol.. "MySpacey"

Would showing people who gave them rep actually start a "behind the scenes flame war"? Personally, I don't think so. It would simply stop people from giving others negative rep for no reason.. b/c why would you negatively rep some1 for no reason if they knew it was you? On the contrary, if the bad rep was earned.. I don't think members would give that person negative rep back (I wouldn't anyway).

Perhaps when the new layout is complete we can try it this way? Test it out and see what happens.. b/c you never really know how something will turn out until you try it =)

(whoa, the smilies are all gone)

The current status of rep is ... put off until the new style is working good and bug free.

I didn't say status, I said stand. I.e., is it useless or useful.

I don't want to show who gave rep because then it would turn into a behind the scenes flame war, no?

No. For intelligent, respectful members bad rep is useful when they say something they probably shouldn't. For immature jerks, they'll just spaz out no matter what. And I'd really like to see who gave good rep. I could put them on my Christmas Card list...

In other words, if I get bad rep from Dani, SOS, etc, it means something. But from ###, ***, etc, they're just being jerks. I'd like to know if I should listen or not. Otherwise it's less than useless.

(whoa, the smilies are all gone)

Good. Now if we can just get lolless we'd have something!

lol.. =p

lol.. =p

PLBBB!

oh sorry.. I didn't even know there were rules posted somewhere.. What is a 5 point infraction?

Top of every page, try hitting the FAQ and the RULES links.

That's why I've lumped you into a category of new members who seem oblivious to what Daniweb is all about. For some reason, Daniweb's staff now tolerates this kind of non-contributory member, doesn't issue infractions against rule violations, allows threads to be hijacked, etc.

Christina contributes to the Geek's Lounge where her postings are on topic and welcomed.

We do issue infractions against rule violations, the reason the 'keep it clean' rule was not invoked in response to your complaints within this thread is simply that it was decided the postings concerned were obviously in jest and so no in need of an infraction. However, we do monitor the situation and we do infract when deemed appropriate.

The term hijacking depends on how you look at it, if a thread is developing and remaining interesting and useful then it is allowed to grow, if it is a straightforward misuse then it is not.

That said, I'd be happy to consider anything ~s.o.s~ has to say about the matter. Knowing him as I do, I can already tell you it will be tacful and kind.

Thomas, first and foremost to clear things up, I was not trying to judge you as a third party. I was asked a question by Josh and I tried my level best to make him understand things -- things which have been the center point of this debate lately.

I respect your vision and even I would like to have a clean, professional community. But considering a thing like 'Geeks Lounge' exists in all professional forums where people hang out and discuss non-tech things, plus, with the site rules by their side, I am not sure anything can be as such 'legally' done against them.

Unless something is enforced at the admin level to disallow non technical discussions, there is little hope of getting something out of this. Considering that you know Dani personally...

No. For intelligent, respectful members bad rep is useful when they say something they probably shouldn't. For immature jerks, they'll just spaz out no matter what. And I'd really like to see who gave good rep. I could put them on my Christmas Card list...

In other words, if I get bad rep from Dani, SOS, etc, it means something. But from ###, ***, etc, they're just being jerks. I'd like to know if I should listen or not. Otherwise it's less than useless.

I completely agree with you. Its not a pretty thing when a punk is given a text box with 255 char limit to spew all the things he can. Believe me, getting a rep comment like

"You are a ******, I don't give a **** to what you think" would be a pleasing sight, esp when you don't even know who gave it to you.

Pfff, can you imagine that? Most people "don't agree" with the negative reputation they get, and then what are the moderators supposed to do? Infract the user? Or, heaven forbid, give reputation to the user who was "infairly repped"?

Agreed, no one agrees that they have got negative rep for a reason.

haha.. you make it seem like we're our own race

Yes, but I wasn't the one to do the classification.

lol.. =p

*sigh*

I like to a bit of both. I have roughly half and half between the non technical and the techinical forums (in terms of post count). I like helping people on daniweb, it helps me build my knowlege and gives me a warm fuuzzy feeling inside :)

commented: :) +3

I think it would improve the sites image if there was simply one board for all non technical stuff (geeks lounge and cofee house conmbined)

That doesn't make any sense. The "Coffee House" isn't a forum, it's a category, within which are various fora, including "Geek's Lounge". In that sense, they are already "combined". The Geek's Lounge used to be a place to hold interesting technical, scientific, or polictical discussions. Now it's simply inane. Either ban all the sophomoric "forum games" or move them out of the Geek's Lounge into a new forum (and then hide that forum out of shame).

Yeah, i think banning forum games might be a good idea (although i hate to say it, i quite enjoy them actually :) ). I think it would be a good idea to still allow other fun (but not forum games) threads such as the God one though.

discussions and games are quite different :icon_wink:

The Geek's Lounge used to be a place to hold interesting technical, scientific, or polictical discussions. Now it's simply inane. Either ban all the sophomoric "forum games" or move them out of the Geek's Lounge into a new forum (and then hide that forum out of shame).

I like the games. And some of them are intellectual, haven't you seen them? Like the Physics Game, for example. But besides that, the Geek's Lounge was created for the purpose of 'relaxing' and taking it easy. That's why it has the word 'lounge' in it.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I like the games. And some of them are intellectual, haven't you seen them? Like the Physics Game, for example. But besides that, the Geek's Lounge was created for the purpose of 'relaxing' and taking it easy. That's why it has the word 'lounge' in it.

Yes I agree. That's why it is a lounge. So everyone/anyone can hang out there if they want.If you don't want to look at the games. Don't. Simple.

commented: exactly =) -christina +7

Agreed. I mean sometimes you need to relax after answering what seems like the millionth post which had someone saying that his "friend" "accidentaly" went on some adult websites and now his dads PC has a virus. "Friend". Yeah right...

jbennet, you seem to be agreeing with almost everyone who posts in this thread... ;-)

That doesn't make any sense. The "Coffee House" isn't a forum, it's a category, within which are various fora, including "Geek's Lounge". In that sense, they are already "combined". The Geek's Lounge used to be a place to hold interesting technical, scientific, or polictical discussions. Now it's simply inane. Either ban all the sophomoric "forum games" or move them out of the Geek's Lounge into a new forum (and then hide that forum out of shame).

I don't really understand your hate of the "Geek's Lounge" and the posting games.. We all need a little fun, and although troubleshooting people's problematic version of vista is fun in itself, I think it is relaxing to be able to post in the "Geek's Lounge." I mean, if you don't like it.. don't visit. At least we aren't using our 'myspace lingo' around the threads that you visit.

This thread ceased to be about "Negative Reputation" long ago. If you wish to give feedback on games in the lounge, I've started another thread for that purpose.

Ok...
Does anyone know when negative rep will be back?

When Dani gets around to it. I think it's kind of nice the way it is though. I feel extra powerful, now that I can carry out one-sided -rep wars :icon_twisted:

Yeah... go you! =p

I dont wanna make Dani angry but i think its stupid to not allow NEGATIVE REP!!!!

If your gonna do that,why not disable the rep system all together??

I see some spam posted on the tech base and i wanted to give the idiot NEGATIVE POINTS and i cant.......

lol.. Well, mods, sponsors, colleagues, and admins can still give negative rep.. And at least no one is giving you negative rep for no reason anymore

I dont wanna make Dani angry but i think its stupid to not allow NEGATIVE REP!!!!

I see some spam posted on the tech base and i wanted to give the idiot NEGATIVE POINTS and i cant.......

Use flag bad post?

>I dont wanna make Dani angry but i think its stupid to not allow NEGATIVE REP!!!!
If you had read the earlier responses, you would have realized that this situation is only temporary.

>I see some spam posted on the tech base and i wanted to give the idiot NEGATIVE POINTS and i cant
And what purpose would that serve anyway? Since they're spamming, they're breaking the rules, and are most likely going to be banned. I can only hope that you use the "Flag Bad Post" button, as that is by far more productive than negative-repping spammers.

Yeah flag bad is best as most spammers make one off accounts so dint care about rep. Also only a mod can delete a thread.

Use flag bad post?

I suppose so......

Indeed. We rely on people flagging posts, and with mods/admins that cover pretty much all time zones can usually deal with reported spam and spammers in a timely manner.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.