daniweb seems sooo slow lately. Whats up? It uses 1/2 of my first cpu and its clocked at a reasonably 2 ghz.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Dani is currently working on it.

disable javascript, it will go faster

It's the ads. As soon as they load, it goes fast again. While they are loading, you can't even scroll now.

It's the ads. As soon as they load, it goes fast again. While they are loading, you can't even scroll now.

Yes Ive found this to be the case also. Site speeds seems to be up and down of recent tho.

Are you sure about this? Some say it's the ads. Some say it's the JavaScript that rounds the corners of the boxes. Personally, the site is consistantly speedy on all my computers and I'm not able to reproduce any of this.

its definately the java that rounds the boxes. On my pda (no java) it loads in like 2 seconds.

On IE6 (XP SP2, 2gb RAM, 3.4ghz P4) the rounding takes ages (>8 seconds) and while its doing that i cant scroll.

disable javascript, it will go faster

Bad advice.

Disabling JavaScript will break a lot of the site's features and usability. I suggested in another thread disabling a specific malfunctioning script to specific users suffering a specific problem. That script has since been fixed by Dani. That advice was never intended to mean you should completely disable all JavaScript (and then complain 'whoa, what's up with stuff not working?').

Also, Java is not JavaScript. If you're going to provide feedback on this issue, try to be accurate.

as i said, i have JS support on my PDA but not Java support. It loads fast.

tgreer, I think you confused jbennet with josh.

The site does not use Java to round corners. In fact, I don't see the site using Java anywhere at all.

Dani - Nope, I quoted/replied to Josh, and then edited to straighten out jbennet. Kids these days, with their PDAs and infrared keyboards. <sigh> Does that keyboard not have an apostrophe?

I dont have an infared keyboard. I have an ancient IBM ps/2 one (i like clickety keys, i like to hammer them when i am at the CLI, makes me feel like a proepr nerd). Neither do i have an infared mouse. I have an optical one though (has to be wired or i lose it)

I dont have an infared keyboard. I have an ancient IBM ps/2 one ...

Ahh, a IBM PS/2 keyboard. Then if you locate the L key, two keys to the right you will discover a key that makes the word dont and cant actually correct, as TGreer suggested :icon_wink:

Lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.