I've noticed a need for this both as a mortal and as a mod. If I could set up a list of "people to watch" that would show me the same information as the currently active users list except with only those people, that would be stellar! :)

On a related note, I'd love to be able to view the currently active users list specific to a single forum or category as well. Rather than seeing every member and his brother along with every guest and his extended family, if I could just view who's actively working in the forums of my choice, that would be wonderful. I've always wondered why the individual forums show currently active users but don't let you get the specifics like the global user list. It seems kind of inconsistent.

I know you don't have enough work Dani, so here's my contribution. ;)

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

A) You mean like your contact list?

B) De ja vu. You requested this exact same thing two years ago and it's been implemented ever since. What I didn't realize, however, was that the link to the forum-specific who's online list seems to have been accidentally lost with this recent design change. I just fixed that. Now you can go into any forum, and at the bottom, where the listing of users in that forum is, is now a link to the who's online page just for that forum.

Nice, thank you Dani

Good work!

But I didn't do anything :) Lucky for me, both features already existed. hehe

>A) You mean like your contact list?
No. That list is missing critical information that I look for in the currently active users list, such as what forum is being looked at and if they're replying or not. I'd also rather not add people I don't like to my contact list just so that I can keep tabs on them. What I'm thinking of is the currently active users list that I can filter on the fly with a list of names, threads I've posted in, people I've infracted, etc...

>I just fixed that.
Thanks! :)

So basically you don't just want who's online to be filtered per forum, but you want to be able to customize who goes on your who's online list separate from who's on your contact list. I could see this being useful to mods ... for mortals, not so much so. :) It seems to me regular members could do with a more feature rich contact list. Will add all of this to my list although there are a couple of other things to get done first.

How about a list of banned members?
Since good and bad rep posts and infractions are for everyone to see via member profile, it would be educational for people around here to see just how you can get banned.

Look at the rules page. It says the exact penalty for every rule violation.

What I had in mind were real posts and members that were sanctioned. Examples of "what not to do" if you will.

Edit:
Wow! First post in 3 years? And to reply to ME?! I'm faltered!

commented: LOOOOOOOOOOOL! Batmaaaaaaaan is a trueee staaar :D +3

>I could see this being useful to mods ... for mortals, not so much so.
Very useful for mods, but even without my mod hat on I could use it. Following people who post on threads with an active Q&A going on, cloak and dagger with people that spark my interest, following smart people whose posts I don't want to miss. And of course, being able to do it without sending them a PM telling them that. ;)

>Will add all of this to my list although there are a couple of other things to get done first.
No biggie, I'm familiar with priorities during development. ;)

What I had in mind were real posts and members that were sanctioned. Examples of "what not to do" if you will.

Edit:
Wow! First post in 3 years? And to reply to ME?! I'm faltered!

Sorry ... Sheyna is my test account. I didn't realize I was signed in when I posted.

Heh good feature. Not that I would want to track down anyone, or cloak and dagger with people that spark my interest, nor follow smart people whose posts I don't want to miss, but still, good one. ;-)

Sorry ... Sheyna is my test account. I didn't realize I was signed in when I posted.

^_o

When I use your site search is there a way so that it won't erase my input? I mean when I use your site search to find a question, that I would like to view, and the search results come up it erases my input data. If I find a forum question that looks promising and I click on it and it has nothing to do with my search terms I look at the search and it's empty. Maybe I'm just lazy. I like your site though. Dave

Try copying the query before hitting the search button and you would be a happy man... ;-)

You mean instead of left double clicking on the search box and going down the list to pick what's in the drop down menu? Wow I never thought of that Thanks ssos

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.