All right, I'll admit it - I'm ancient enough to be from the "old" school. In my case, this means I am a textual learner - I don't relate well to visuals.

Searching though the FAQs, I was delighted (and very appreciative) to find the list of Smilies - what they look like and - most importantly - what most of them actually mean! The one English acronym that puzzles me still is LOL - does this mean "lots of love" or "lots of laughs" or "lots of luck" or none of the above?

However, there are a number of different icons that show up to the left of the Threads in each forum. To me, these icons are meaningless - and they don't seem to relate to the optional icons that can be chosen when posting an entry.

For example, I posted a new thread in the Delphi/Pascal forum, and it shows up with something that looks (to me) like a pencil. What does that icon mean?

Question: is there a list of all of these icons and their meanings?

briskal

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

All right, I'll admit it - I'm ancient enough to be from the "old" school. In my case, this means I am a textual learner - I don't relate well to visuals.

Searching though the FAQs, I was delighted (and very appreciative) to find the list of Smilies - what they look like and - most importantly - what most of them actually mean! The one English acronym that puzzles me still is LOL - does this mean "lots of love" or "lots of laughs" or "lots of luck" or none of the above?

However, there are a number of different icons that show up to the left of the Threads in each forum. To me, these icons are meaningless - and they don't seem to relate to the optional icons that can be chosen when posting an entry.

For example, I posted a new thread in the Delphi/Pascal forum, and it shows up with something that looks (to me) like a pencil. What does that icon mean?

Question: is there a list of all of these icons and their meanings?

briskal

LOL stands for 'Laugh Out Loud'

I think the pencil icon means that you are subscribed (or have contributed to) that particular thread.

I used to have a key but I got rid of it (sorry). The pencil icon means you've posted in that thread. The note paper surrounded by a yellow circle means there are new posts in that thread, or it's a new thread, since your last visit to that particular forum. And the fire means that thread is HOT HOT HOT ... it has at least X views or at least Y replies (I forget the values for X and Y).

Thank you Dani and pty. I "get it" now.
briskal

Why did you get rid of the menu? I didn't know what any of them except the fire meant.

commented: I still don't know what some of the icons mean. I thought there used to be a list at the bottom that explained them. +5

I was trying to clean up the page and I thought it was self-explanatory. For example, regarding the pencil, it should be pretty obvious after seeing the pencil a few times that it's threads you have posted in, and when you hover over the icon, it even tells you that you've posted in it.

And then the new post icon always corresponds to threads whose title is in bold, so that seemed a little redundant too.

I was trying to clean up the page and I thought it was self-explanatory. For example, regarding the pencil, it should be pretty obvious after seeing the pencil a few times that it's threads you have posted in, and when you hover over the icon, it even tells you that you've posted in it.

And then the new post icon always corresponds to threads whose title is in bold, so that seemed a little redundant too.

If others weren't using similar icons for different purposes, it might be clear. But a pencil is "edit the post" on eBay and A&E, and a checkmark means "you have posted" on another site.

I couldn't tell what the object inside the orange circle is. It looks like a square.

If others weren't using similar icons for different purposes, it might be clear. But a pencil is "edit the post" on eBay and A&E, and a checkmark means "you have posted" on another site.

Good point...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.