Member Avatar for iamthwee

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread77997.html
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread77160.html

Ok, first I thought these people were colouring their code with an external program. But I've too many exact similar problems, in well the c/c++ board, vb.net board, java and c# board etc.

It looks as if as they are copying and pasting their code from their ides and it is autohighlighting the words (like a rich text editor). To be honest it wouldn't really be any more of a problem than all the unindented crap we normally get, but it also seems to be removing important spaces i.e

usingnamespace std;

Is there anything we can do about this Dani?

Cheers

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

There's nothing we can do except for stress the fact that we do our own syntax highlighting.

I want to continue allowing [code] tags to be able to use color to point out important lines, etc. while having tags strip users color and syntax highlight in their own way. As far as spaces, I'm not sure if it's a problem with their IDE or with the wysiwyg editor? I'd be interested to see if they're having the same removing spaces issue when posting to the standard editor, which is just a standard HTML textarea (so if there's a problem with it, the problem would be native to the user's platform).[code=language] tags strip users color and syntax highlight in their own way.

As far as spaces, I'm not sure if it's a problem with their IDE or with the wysiwyg editor? I'd be interested to see if they're having the same removing spaces issue when posting to the standard editor, which is just a standard HTML textarea (so if there's a problem with it, the problem would be native to the user's platform).

Can't you disable the wysiwyg editor for newbies. Then you will never get that problem. All that would happen is the code they had written would still be un code tagged but the spaces should still be preserved?

On an unrelated point, is the search function working? Unless I've turned something off by mistake in the control panel?

I'm not going to disable a feature for the masses just because of a bug that is affecting a vast minority. (Remember, we get 200-400 new members daily, about half of which start a new thread the day they register. In the greater scheme of things, can you honestly say that this problem affects more than 1 or 2% of new members, which would translate to the problem happening a few times a day?)

Also, is there even confirmation that this problem doesn't occur with the standard editor?

On an unrelated point, is the search function working? Unless I've turned something off by mistake in the control panel?

Search function?

Yeah the search the daniweb forum on the right hand side. I dunno if it's my browser but it doesn't bring up any results?

>I'm not going to disable a feature for the masses just because of a bug that is affecting a vast minority.

It's just a pain cos, now to read ppl's code I have to indent the whole thing from scratch (cos they never use code tags) and also add spaces where it got eaten up. It's just annoying... Meh?

Nothing related to the wysiwyg editor has changed in many years (we still use vBulletin's default editor) so the only thing I could think of is a new IDE that came out recently that a bunch of people are using or ... I dunno.

Using the standard editor is not going to fix the problem of indenting or using code tags.

I think you have the impression that forcing newbies to use the standard editor will be some miracle solution, but it won't be - the only difference is instead of colored text/bold/italics/underline appearing as such, it will look like bbcode in the editor. Only difference. Code tags aren't affected between the two editors at all.

Right, I have no idea what you just said, =) I just thought using the standard editor might stop

usingnamespace std;

And change it to

using namespace std;

Like how it should be.

And is the search function thing working. I am still have problems it only seems to work when I do the advanced search option. He he.

Are you using the "search entire site" option? What error message (if any) do you get?

Well when I click search forum/entire site it is just blank.

It doesn't show the (no entries found msg) it is just blank.

I'm using konqueror if it helps...

Can you try FireFox for me? I don't experience this problem.

No I just have konqueror. I don't have an option for firefox. :(

Also when I click the add reputation both the options are highlighted and I can't change it. I just thought I'd mention it.

Perhaps its just this browser. Doh!

Did you just recently start using Konqueror? That browser is known to be non-standard for a lot of things.

Yeah probably, my synaptic updater thingie is broken so I can't do any downloads (firefox).

Thanx for the help.

Is there anything we can do about this Dani?

Tell folks posting like that not to use the [post=308341]bad colorizer[/post] that they have found, and instead use the forum tags.

Well yes, the bad coloring isn't a problem. The problem is when it chomps the whitespace e.g.

usingnamespace std

I have no idea why it would only affect only that line ... not that it matters greatly...

If you quote the misbehaving text, you find that the real culprit is the adjacent color tags have accidentally eaten the space. When the color is removed, as rendered by some forums, it's hard to see that this is what is going on behind the scenes.

[edit]Jeez. I really need to find that "reading for comprehension" material someday. [After rereading post #1.]

You just need to emphasize to people that, upon pasting text from an IDE, highlight all of the code and click the crossed-out 'A' button to remove all text formatting.

Basically all of this is just another reason why allowing users to use color causes nothing but problems. :)

commented: Very true. +9

very true. Does that mean we a getting rid of the wysiwyg editor?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.