I find it ironic how the people who complain the most about the negative reputation they receive are the same ones that hand out the tons of positive points that circulate the Geek's Lounge. Obviously you aren't taking it very seriously when you hand it out, so why do you take the reputation that you receive so seriously?

>So what happens if someone passes Dani in number of posts? Does the world implode?
Nah, she'll just change the way post counts are generated so posts in the Posting Games don't count. :P

that would be quite a play over most of thosewho have tons of posts... :D

Has Dani always had the most number of posts?

I'd guess so..

it would be logical though...

yay!!! i'm #47 in rep power...

Cripes i'm in the top 2 pages of posts
And i'm 34th on the rep power stakes
Sweet :)

Let's see where I'm at. 23 in rep power and 35 in post count. It takes forever to move up these ranks. So does anyone know what it takes before you can start giving green rep to people yet.

question:

why can't you rep the same person twice consecutively? i mean... what about if i agree with the same person in two different threads?

9th in rep, and 11th in posts ;)

question:

why can't you rep the same person twice consecutively? i mean... what about if i agree with the same person in two different threads?

To limit how much rep you give out.. no1 wants the rep system to become diluted with rep..

question:

Because you have to spread some around first. That way you can't infinitely damage someone's rep or just build it up all the way until they have far too much.

>To limit how much rep you give out..
Wrong. It's to ensure that the reputation you give out is "balanced". There is no limit on how much reputation you can give out.

>no1 wants the rep system to become diluted with rep..
It is already diluted with reputation, as far as I'm concerned. Oh wait -- that's probably because there's no limit on how much reputation you can give out!

What do you think the purpose of spreading rep around is? It helps ensure that you do not give the same person tons of rep at once, and thus limits how much rep you can give people. Also, there used to be a limit of giving 5 reps per day.. but Idk what happened to that.

>it helps ensure that you do not give the same person tons of rep at once
But it doesn't limit how much reputation you can give. You could keep handing out reputation to the same 10 people all the time (provided that there are enough posts being produced to accomplish this). If you wanted to, you could probably even write a bot that does it for you.

commented: Didn't see it at the time either. Quite prescient. +11

... you could probably even write a bot that does it for you.

Oh, no. Don't give him any ideas. That will produce rep inflation in Daniweb's economy.
What am I talking about it?!. The whole thing is inflated already.

But it doesn't limit how much reputation you can give. You could keep handing out reputation to the same 10 people all the time (provided that there are enough posts being produced to accomplish this). If you wanted to, you could probably even write a bot that does it for you.

Okay, it doesn't limit you directly. But, at least it makes it harder for you to give rep to one person frequently.. I'm not going to go around and give 4 random reps to people just so I can rep someone again (Well, most of the time I wont). As for the bot, what a great idea.. I should get 4 others to help me.. =p jk

I'm not going to go around and give 4 random reps to people just so I can rep someone again (Well, most of the time I wont).

Only when you needed to give bad reps to Rashakil Fol, right?.

Actually, yea. ;)

but, then, how many people do i have to rep? 'cause it's been days since i don't rep the same person, and when i want to, i can't...

not that my intention is to spare rep all around... but... it would be nice to rep people more often...

You have to rep 5 people before you can rep the same person again.

Can one see more than last five comments ?

AFAIK, No.

well you can see the previous rep you have received in the user control panel, i got my 15 prev rep received shown.

commented: here's more for your list +2

I guess he is talking about someone else's reputation panel.

I wish you could somehow see all the rep you've ever gotten.

How does a person ascertain his position on the total reps list?

If you care so much about your increase of reputation points get in pack with few other people and start giving reputation points each other as we already can see with some members...
One of the pack get bad reputation so another mate give him equalizer and as this not being enought other give him good reputation just because he did same for him other time. Soon we will see people with 20 green reputation marks.

This whole thing turn out to be competition for some people "just look how great is my reputation", but it doesn't not tell you that the person is not always politle, it does not fully reflect how much/little community work that person actualy did...

So treat this reputation thing as you wish.

How does a person ascertain his position on the total reps list?

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/memberlist.php?do=getall
Just click on the reputation column to sort it by rep.

If you care so much about your increase of reputation points get in pack with few other people and start giving reputation points each other as we already can see with some members...
One of the pack get bad reputation so another mate give him equalizer and as this not being enought other give him good reputation just because he did same for him other time. Soon we will see people with 20 green reputation marks.

This whole thing turn out to be competition for some people "just look how great is my reputation", but it doesn't not tell you that the person is not always politle, it does not fully reflect how much/little community work that person actualy did...

So treat this reputation thing as you wish.

Hmm.. that isn't entirely true. Nearly everyone who goes to the Geek's lounge hands out rep to all kinds of posts.. keep in mind, there are a plethora of things to discuss there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.