Is there a way to move to the next/previous thread while viewing a particular thread? By next/previous I mean the one at the bottom and below of the currently viewing thread as displayed in the forum thread list.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

You know like moving to the next and previous emails?

Duh. Here is an attachment from google groups.

commented: you're dumb -2
commented: dumb like a fox! +6
commented: Equalizer is a must. Peace :-) +19

Oh, those. Yeah, we used ot have them, but I got rid of them while trying to unclutter the page because I didn't think that anyone used them.

Does anyone else want them back as well? I'd prefer to not put them back because IMO they clutter the page with two links to two pages you know nothing about. They're sorta like Google's "I'm lucky" button :)

Oh, those. Yeah, we used ot have them, but I got rid of them while trying to unclutter the page because I didn't think that anyone used them.

Does anyone else want them back as well? I'd prefer to not put them back because IMO they clutter the page with two links to two pages you know nothing about. They're sorta like Google's "I'm lucky" button :)

I admit that they clutter the page. But I am asking for this as a moderator, and a regular who posts in the technical forum. As moderators we usually look at all the threads with unread posts in the forum, regardless of whether we know about it or not, and it is tiresome going back to the parent forum page and selecting another thread.

I know that this feature may not be useful for non-geeks who nevertheless use the geeks lounge to play word games only.

As a moderator, I could see you using the "posts since last visit" link or the "posts with zero replies" link. As a member, I could see you scanning the list of threads, reading the descriptions associated with each, and clicking on what interests you.

Still having a hard time understanding when someone would be surfing all the threads in a forum, one at a time. Odds are you wouldn't be interested in all of them in a row, need or want to reply to all of them in a row, etc.

As a moderator, I could see you using the "posts since last visit" link or the "posts with zero replies" link. As a member, I could see you scanning the list of threads, reading the descriptions associated with each, and clicking on what interests you.

Yeah. I tried that a long time ago, but back then even the geek lounge posts cameup in the results, so I stopped using that. I think that now that option is much more advanced so I will try it and see.

Still having a hard time understanding when someone would be surfing all the threads in a forum, one at a time. Odds are you wouldn't be interested in all of them in a row, need or want to reply to all of them in a row, etc.

No. These days not much of the threads go unanswered. So there is no need for me to reply much. But I usually read all the new replies as much as I can.

Wolfy, here's what you have to do. You have to subscribe with no notification to all the forums you're interested in. Then, in the sidebar, use the "new posts in forums I'm subscribed to" link.

By subscribing with no notification, you won't get any emails about them or anything. For example, I'm subscribed to the Internet marketing forums, the feedback forum, area 51, and the moderator's place, so whenever I hit that link in the sidebar, I get a nice listing of threads from just the forums I'm interested in.

Does anyone else want them back as well?

No, can't say that I would find them useful. I do, however, use "Posts Since Last Visit" and "Todays Posts" a lot.

So do I. Those links aren't going anywhere, but have you checked out the Subscribed Forums option explained in the previous post? Even more useful!

Ah. Just noticed that my suggestion has been implemented. Thank you Dani! :)

You're welcome. I wasn't a fan at all of vBulletin's standard "view next thread" and "view previous thread" links because I didn't understand why anyone would click on these completely random links. I came up with the idea of actually providing the thread titles of these pages which at least makes it a bit more user-friendly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.